Sign in to follow this  
UDflyer

777 Winglets

I wonder why the Boeing 777 has no winglets?JimCYWG

It has a good efficient aspect ratio and I believe that having winglets would make the span to long to fit into some airports that it serves.

Guest ThrottleUp

I remember they were gonna give the 777 folding wingtips at one time but no customer was interested.

The latest versions of the 777 have raked wingtips instead.

Winglets -- The must have fashion accessory of the nineties :-)weight + profile drag (100% of flight time) VERSUS reduction in induced drag ( 5% of flight time - and thats generous for a long haul aircraft).It just doesn't add up. What next! ? "Q" tips on propellers. Ah well fashions come and go. :-lolRoger

>weight + profile drag (100% of flight time) VERSUS reduction>in induced drag ( 5% of flight time - and thats generous for a>long haul aircraft).>>It just doesn't add up. Actually, depending on the configuration, winglets may add a bit of directional stability, so a bit of their increase in weight and profile drag is saved back on the vertical stabilizer.But yes, the advantages of winglets are marginal at the best.But they look good. As Dr. Roskam says, "There is plenty of evidence that 'good looks' helps sell airplanes!" :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Never knew that Southwest was into looks more then function.Also the winglets are not made by Boeing so that doesn't help them sell airplanes...

>Never knew that Southwest was into looks more then function.I never said that, but "good looks" certainly plays a role (of course a secondary role) in aircraft design, as it does in every other industrial design.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>I remember they were gonna give the 777 folding wingtips at>one time but no customer was interested.Actually, those folding wingtips are what originally got the 777 launched. Airlines at the time were worried that the 777 wingspan would be too large, and were skeptical about ordering it. So Boeing's solution was to put folding wingtips on the airplane. Eventually, it was realized that folding wingtips weren't needed, but had they not been offered airlines probably would have lost interest in the airplane and would probably have been scrapped eventually. According to a book I read. ;)