Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainT18

Antivirus recommendations

Guest RGH

Hi allFor two years I been a user of the shield pro AV that used the VRobot engine have now pushed me into a upgrade that uses Kaspersky engine and is interfering with a large percentage of my programs. If I forget to turn it off and start FSX it cuts my FPS down by 40% and messes up programs and it will have to go as there is no way I can change the program,Would you please suggest an Antivirus program that I can control payware or freeware but my shield deluxe must go.Best regards,Rex

Guest Nick_N

NOD32www.eset.comall fixed and you can fly with it enabledI would not use anything else for protection and a nearly ZERO footprint on the systemJust the AV product.. you don't need their complete system protection which is overkill for a home game rig

I'll also cast a vote for NOD32.I've been using it for three years and have had absolutly no virus infections, and no performance issues with FS.It's definitely worth the price. Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Guest RGH

Hi Nick.Well NOD32 sounds just what I need, as my memory modules these days are not up to spec, and my MD says there is no chance of an update.Thank you again.Rex.

Guest jshyluk

I use AVG. It's fast, easy to use and update, and effective. I also use Ad-Aware, which is good at nailing spyware and such, and Spybot, which is very good at protecting the registry from attacks. All are freeware and none seem to affect FSX negatively.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I have ESET too. Very happy with it.

Guest ziporama

I use TrendMicro and AVG is good as well. I like Trend because of my experience with them in a professional setting and they are very quick to respond to new viruses and malware. I believe this is the solution also used by Cisco. The home version gets the same attention as the corporate version with regards to the definition files. I have poor experiences with Symantec, that still takes over the computer and I fight it everyday on my laptop as a performance hog.Cheers,Etienne

Guest Phil75070

I liked AVG as well but could not figure a way to turn it off while running FSX so I went back to Avast. It is also free, rates higher than AVG in some areas, and can be easily paused or terminated to run FSX and just as easily resumed after.

Guest RGH

Hi all,I have Nodd32 on my PC, and just as you said, you really can run FSX without turning it off, all addons work as they should and FSX runs perfect.Thank you all very much.Rex

>Hi all>For two years I been a user of the shield pro AV that used the>VRobot engine have now pushed me into a upgrade that uses>Kaspersky engine >and is interfering with a large percentage of my programs. If>I forget to turn it off and start FSX it cuts my FPS down by>40% and messes up programs and it will have to go as there is>no way I can change the program,>Would you please suggest an Antivirus program that I can>control payware or freeware but my shield deluxe must go.>Best regards,>RexHi Rex,Nod32 for me as well. I have been using FSAutoStart since FS9 and have found it useful:http://download1us.softpedia.com/dl/5c63a9...k/fsasv1111.zipYou can configure it to shut down programs and services as well as defrag your memory before it starts FSX.Cheers,

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest danny68

AVG ; small foot print. Free and works best. I want to pay for a good one but can't find one. AND I'VE HAD NO ISSUES WITH IT AT ALL.I tried NOD and found issues with it causing MSN to hang.Norton has issues also though works fine with FSX. It has a large foot print and a system hog. you also have to register it and if for example you do something like set your clock wrong it times out and asks for you to pay for a new licience.AVAST caused some problems with ACTIVE Syn for my mobile so I couldn't use that.CA caused google maps to hang so I couldn't use that.Kaspersky looked great until and had a licience for 3 users. Trouble is with this one was the network stopped working and removing Kaspersky fixed it. BTW: this was not the firewall version it was just that this software could not see other computers on the network. I suspect the firewall version would work but then I don't need a firewall as I have a router. I made a mistake on this one by bying a boxed version and couldn't get a refund so gave it back to PC World and said that's the last software I buy from them.Haven't tried Micro Trend.

NOD32 for me as well.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Hi Phil,"I liked AVG as well but could not figure a way to turn it off while running FSX"Absolutely no need to turn off AVG while the sim is running. I've used it for years without any issues and it seems to have zero affect on performance. It also has a very small footprint.However, if you really want to disable AVG then do the following:1. Launch AVG Free Control Center2. Configure to View in 'Reduced Mode' (F3)3. Right-click 'Resident Shield' and select 'Properties'4. Uncheck 'Turn on AVG Free Resident Shield Protection'5. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. You will see a warning but this can be ignored.To turn it back on again, just right-Click 'Resident Shield' and select 'Activate'.It's probably unnecessary, but I tend to do this when I'm installing any new software.Mike