Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainT18

Antivirus recommendations

Guest PPSFA

AVG free, updates every day, never had to turn it off as it doesnt interfear with FS, been using it for years.

I'm still enjoying my Kaspersky Anti-virus 7. You just have to know how to set it up, but personally, I reboot to kill a bunch of apps and services for my flights, so I turn the AV off completely. You don't need it to play gmaes even if you're connected to the net and downloading real weather.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

AVAST for many years - no problems with FS.erv/KSDF

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

Guest Bill_DRO

I have had good luck with Avast.

Use the Firefox web browser, keep Windows updated, and be intelligent in what you d/l and what files you open. If you do that, you don't really need a system-slowing antivirus. (this is, though, coming from a self-described computer geek...)

I swear by Kaspersky Internet Security. I use it to protect my computers at home as well as at my company. Great protection, great detention rate, no false positives and thin enough to keep active while using MSFS with no memory or frame rate issues.Regards,Mike

Hello Rex,I have used Computer associates EZ AntiVirus for several years, at least five or more and have never had a problem. I never turn it off and it has never caused a problem or slow down in any version of FS either MS or Falcon 4.Donald E. Donovan

Just wondering what Vista users think of the articles that state that with Vista an antivirus program may not be needed.Here are a couple but there are many:http://www.betanews.com/article/Allchin_Su...irus/1163104965http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/?p=234I did have problems with a certain antivirus problem slowing down fsx quite a bit (avast-which I love but won't use with my fsx machine now).http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Nick_N

ehh Sure, as any company may pad their numbersbut I also know many of the big boys have been switching to it for a few years now simply because of the kill rate and most important the lack of footprint on the system. That throughput adds up fast to a network admin. At the same time I have tried just about all of them and I just cant seem to find any errors in their comparesso, yes of course there is bias as there is at any company on their web page but no I do not find anything they have -ever- posted inaccurate or off base in any wayI have never recommened anything that would not live up to its claim, nor would I ever endorse anything in a forum for MSFS use if it did not do the job and do it right.

'AVAST', absolutely perfect. free and a very small footprint means you don't need to turn it off while flying ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Response to Cooldude and others, believe me, if you go on the internet, and download from time to time a program or a file, or email, then you need a good anti virus. Even if you are running Firefox and Vista.I agree there is a lot you can avoid, but not everything. You can be infected without realizing it, and your PC waiting for the right time to launch an attack, without impacting your performance. Without an anti virus, no way you could know.And I am an IT professional, for what it's worth :-).By the way, I am using Antivir. No problems running together with FSX, everyday updates, and freeware.There are many companies nowadays that offer freeware anti virus programs, in addition to professional versions for enterprises.Jan