Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaptainT18

Antivirus recommendations

Guest grapesh

I agree with Jan: even if you are careful with where you go online and what ports on your PC are open to the world, it is very easy to catch a nasty stuff: a virus, a trojan, or even a rootkit; all you need is an open established internet connection - and your PC is already compromised.I use a combination of Free AVG and Comcast's Anti-Spyware, and this is just enough to stay on a safe side. AVG does not interfere with other programs. My previous av from Symantec would simply take over the whole system and I had to spend many hours just to completely wipe it off the disk, - that was completely ridiculous that the utility-level program would demand so many resources and have so much control. The Anti- Spyware was provided by my ISP for free, and I use it occasionally. The only downside is that it runs from IE. Cheers,=S.V.=eMachines T5026/P4/3.07GHz/1Gb RAM/160Gb S-ATA HDD/Windows XP Home SP2/ATI RADEON 9250 PCI 256Mb/ViewSonic VX910 19' 1280x1024/Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2

Hey guysIm gonna have to be getting a new av service here in a couple of days, and have question about one.My family has always used Norton. We used the Norton Internet Security program, not the full pack with everything else in it. And from what i had seen i did not see any performance hit at all when playing fsx. So what do u guys think?

Guest Nick_N

Kill anything and everything with the word NORTON in your system and never let it be installed, ever againNORTON products are the #1 reason for MSFS slowdowns and stuttersDo use it

Guest CaptainT18

yeah Norton used to be ok, but nowadays their software is just horrible.Macafee wasn't much different in my experience.Windows OneCare trial never found a single virus, while NOD32 has probably been the best, along with AVG. I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware for spyware scans

Anyone using ESET NOD32 with the firewall application that ESET offers as well? They call it the ESET Smart Security product? How is the performance when running FS? I have Trend Micro 2008 and nothing but problems with it! It now is constantly finding viruses in some flight1 software!

Eric 

>Hey guys>>Im gonna have to be getting a new av service here in a couple>of days, and have question about one.>>My family has always used Norton. We used the Norton Internet>Security program, not the full pack with everything else in>it. And from what i had seen i did not see any performance hit>at all when playing fsx. So what do u guys think?Treat all Norton products like the plague!!!At one time (long ago) they used to make great products. Nowadays they make great resource hogs that are extremely difficult to uninstall from your system.

Guest abulaafia

I see they now don't compare with AVG anymore, which beat them 3 years in a row ;)

Guest abulaafia

I used to recommend Avast too, but on Vista (64) their software slows down all file operations. Must be a bug though. Have since switched to AVG, no complaints, and no need to turn off during flying.

>Hi all,>I have Nodd32 on my PC, and just as you said, you really can>run FSX without turning it off, all addons work as they should>and FSX runs perfect.>Thank you all very much.>RexNot in my case. Had to remove NOD32 because it made TrackIr 4 unusable on my system.Tried everything else but in the end it was NOD32.cheersGregASUS A8NAthlon 64 3500WIN XPhttp://www.fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Curious as to what the price is for the home version of NOD32. I went to their web site but I don't see a price listed. Doesn't matter a lot if it works but I'd still like to know. The home version says "free download" but I assume that means for the 30 day trial period.

>Just wondering what Vista users think of the articles that>state that with Vista an antivirus program may not be needed.Amen to that (didn't read the article, I am just reacting to the point made). I've run Vista a year long now, btw with UAC and the standard firewall both on, and never ever had a problem. Now I don't do warez or anything like it: just the ordinary everyday surfing, but I've never had a problem. My daughter even uses MSN on it! A few weeks ago I reinstalled my entire system, cost me about one evening. And again I left the AV out of it. I use my computer for making music, playing games and internet and I like to keep it as clean as possible. So I also don't install too much software: just what I really need.I know there is a risk, but I do believe it's rather small. A lot smaller than they want you to believe. If you just take it easy and don't click on every link you see but think before you act, you can come a long way without any problems. I know someone who is the head of a BIG computer magazine, and he never uses AV and never had a problem... The AV market is big business and a lot of company live well by it. It's not strange they want you to believe you are practically dead without their precious product...

Flight1 officially recommends and uses NOD32...In my opinion, NOD allows you to keep control of your system, where other scanners try to do too much, it ends up taking the computer away from the user...

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

I might also add that NOD32 has a very small memory footprint.As Steve said, Flight1 endorse's and all of us use NOD32.