Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lith1um

FSX rendering at 6400x4800

These are 1:1 crops where I was using 4x4 supersampling @ 1600x1200, which renders the image internally at 4 times the resolution in both directions. So it's effectively rendering at 6400x4800, and yet I'm able to pull off 20-25fps in this scene, and everything on the scenery tab is maxed out including autogen, with ground scenery shadows off. Having the capacity to do this shows just how much GPU headroom we have with high end cards.The image is totally clean, especially the stripes and lettering. In game at 1600x1200 on my 17" diamontron the image quality is nearly perfect, and when combined with 16xAF it almost looks pre rendered its so smooth. http://sio.midco.net/silly22/4x4highcrop.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/silly22/4x4hightwo.jpg

Wow, thanks for the tip! Quality is crystal clear and even better than 8xs and it looks like I'm even getting a little better and more stable frame rates to boot!! I never tried tha mode before, since it said you needed a SLI system to handle it, which I don't and FSX is CPU bound anyway.Thanks!!Edit: Spoke too soon. Some how my traffic got turned off, probably from a FS-recording session I just did as happens sometimes. When traffic was turned back on my frames dropped about 5-6 frames below what they were before.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Nick_N

I would be very cautious in changing that from 8xS4x4 may provide an enhancement but it does come with a cost. There is no way to assess if a change like that will benefit every area you fly and in every situation. Having the FSX settings tweaked up for high traffic and other visual upgrades will pound that ever harder so it depends on the settings you fly as well. Also, the monitor resolution will play into that factor. I am on 1920x1200 @ 24" so it will hit me harder than someone on 1600x, etc.:)8XShttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184132.jpg4X4http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184133.jpgand autogen trees shimmered worse at 4x4

Guest Nick_N

LOL!Dont worryI know all about Nhancer;)What I should have said is they started shimmering to the point of being annoying. With the LOD @ clamp and 8xS its hardly noticed

Yeah I normally use 16xS these days. I was just playing with 4x4 for the fun of it, but I figured there would be a bigger hit, so it was a surprise to see it running reasonably.

Guest Nick_N

Probably because the supporting environment was not jacked up, such as tress and AI. Location will also play into that. No biggie.. :)

>>>Probably because the supporting environment was not jacked up,>such as tress and AI. Location will also play into that. >>No biggie.. :)Autogen was at extremely dense and all other scenery sliders were far right with the exception of water at mid 2.x, though I do fly with traffic off. I would not have thought traffic causes a large GPU hit like tom describes, but then again I've never really used it with FSX. I don't talk to ATC or anything, I just go for all the eye candy I can get. lol I can't use extreme autogen in most places, but over that central UK landclass you see in the pic it looks stunning and runs and around 35fps with AI off.

Guest Nick_N

AI is more than just the traffic slider.. its the scenery complexity as well. When you push SC into DENSE and above -and- the traffic sliders are pushed up, even a little, the sim start calculating every gate and jetway within a 50-120MN radius.Thats whats killing the CPU with 4X4 and traffic enabled, and, the SC slider above DENSE. 4x4 is hitting the CPU hard and anything that will load down the CPU with 4x4 running will kill frames. Most people think its the extra city buildings nailing the system with the SC slider, and, the AI sliders, however its really the airport gates/jetways doing a number on the system. The default AI is not exactly FR friendly but they are also not what is causing most of the load. If you are way out in the boonies (at least 130NM away from a set of large airports) then the AI and gates do not adversly hit the system anywhere near as hard, if at all, even with traffic.:)

AI is more than just the traffic slider.. its the scenery complexity as well. When you push SC into DENSE and above -and- the traffic sliders are pushed up, even a little, the sim start calculating every gate and jetway within a 50-120MN radius.Thats whats killing the CPU with 4X4 and traffic enabled, and, the SC slider above DENSE. 4x4 is hitting the CPU hard and anything that will load down the CPU with 4x4 running will kill frames.That's true if you use FSX AI aircraft with FSX style exits. Then every AI aircraft sitting at a gate will have the jetways engage, which will kill performance until the gates finish moving. What's worse is as you fly over other major airports, the same thing happens there. To avoid this, either edit the AI aircraft to either change the exit lines in the aircraft.cfg file to FS9 format, or remove the exits all together. Be aware if you also use the aircraft to fly (Such as the default aircraft) and you remove the the exit, you won't be able to open and close the doors. The other option, is to replace the default AI with FS9 style aircraft, such as used with WOAI packages, with FS9 formatted exits. You won't see Jetways engage with these aircraft, but you still can engage the jetway on your aircraft, if it's setup too!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Guys:This is extremely interesting info for system tweaking possibilities! :-yellow1 In particular, even though I am mostly a bush aircraft flyer who always turns traffic way down (<10% or even totally off), I am wondering if we might see further exploration and clarification of these jetway and AI aircraft traffic re-configurations to be developed into a tweaking protocol that all of us FS performance junkies might also follow?I believe many of us new to this aspect of FS would welcome another way to optimize flying non-jet aircraft and rural non-jetway airports which are still located within 35-50-130 nautical miles of a major airport (ex: the PNW airports near Seattle and Vancouver... such as Emma Field and the GeoRender airports).Any possibility of you knowledgeable fellows elaborating further on this subject with some conclusive steps to be followed by us newbies to this aspect of tweaking?Thanks very much for any additional insights that you might be kind enough to share here! :-) GaryGB

Guest Lith1um

One thing I like about MyTrafficX is it offers the option of disabling jetway animations globaly with a simple mouse click.