Sign in to follow this  
Guest AlanEL

FSX Reinstall Failed Due to Uninstall

Guest AlanEL

Hi everybody:Well I think I made a big mistake. I was uninstalling some programs I didn't need and I also wanted to do a clean install of FSX.I couldn't find it in the "Add Remove" programs so I deleted the FSX folder. When I went to reinstall it all I got was the option to "Repair or Remove" which both did not work. FSX thinks it's still installed. Called Microsoft level 1 support but she could not get it to work. She told me a level 2 support person was to call me in the next 72 hours. I think this is going to have to be a registry hack or a reformat and re-install windows Vista. Any ideas. Boy do I feel stupid. ThanksAlan Lansitie

Guest Nils79

Hi Alan,A repair should work, if you only deleted the folder.If not, you can try to make a new folder with the same path as your last installation and then try again the repair.If you deleted reg entries try this tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...e-troubles.aspx and then a repair.If a repair doesn't work (but only then) try this tool:http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exeDelete also the folders where your FSX.cfg and Scenery.cfg are stored.I haven't done this before, so i can't promise a success and it's on your own risk.

Guest Captain America

This is interesting because I've noticed FSX is not listed inmy Add/Remove Programs listing. Only SP2 is listed?How would I uninstall FSX?Please post the outcome of your problem here, cause sooner orlater I'll have the same problem.

Just went through this too. After uninstalling SP2, close out and then re-open the Add/Remove programs window and you should see FSX listed. (or is suppose you could hit the F5 key and refresh the window and it would do the same thing.)Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest AlanEL

Yup I've tried both of the fixes but no joy. It seems that somewhere deep in the registry is an entry that is coded as FSX activation is still there. It has no FSX description so is impossible to find.It appears that if Microsoft level 2 support cannot fix this then I will probably have to re format and install Vista 32 again and then FSX. The lesson here is ,if FSX is not in your "Add Remove" list you must find the uninstaller or you will be in the glue like me. Fortunately I have everything backed up. I will keep you posted about the outcome of this major error on my part.Live and learnAlan Lansitie

Guest Nils79

"Windows Installer Clean Up" (msicuu2.exe) finds no entry for FSX?Perhaps you will find remains in the windowsinstaller folder.And CCleaner is sometimes also a very helpful tool.I hope you don't have to re-install Windows and everything - Good luck!

Guest AlanEL

Hi Nils:OK I got FSX installed and activated again. Here's what I did. I took the bull by the horns and did a registry hack. First I selected "run" and entered "regedit". Once in the registry I went to File and selected "Export and All" to my desktop. Just in case I mess things up I can re-install my registry. I then went to "edit" and selected "find". I typed in fsx and selected "find next". Anything that came up during the search I deleted. I exited the registry and rebooted my system. Again for the 10th time I inserted Disk 1 of FSX and low and behold I got the install screen back.I tested other programs and all seems well. This is an important find and I think it will save a lot of people grief if they have a bad uninstall. Calling Microsoft now to cancel the level 2 support. Thanks for your help everybodyAlan LansitieYippee!!!