Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is 300 kts overspeed at FL35

Guest Zelensta

>Hello Dave,>>It was probably a typo on the O.P.'s part as FL's start at>FL180 (18,000 feet). I posted this, not for your benefit, but>for the O.P.'s, as he states he is new at flight simulation.:)> >>Cheers,>>Mitch>>Thanks,lol.I wouldn't say new, but Intermediate-Beginner ( I try and fly properly, but there's a lot of things I dont know)

You'll ramp up really fast---soon to 'an expert at learning' like all the rest of us! :) Nobody knows it all, at any one given moment in time....:)))))Keep enjoying the hobby!Mitch

Thanks Ray!As I have stated in another post...there is never an end to learning, or to walking through open doors and new concepts/ideas! ;)Thanks for the head's up.Mitch

>Just as an added comment,>>Above 10,000 feet, you are allowed to turn off your landing>lights (which MUST be illuminated at and/or below 10,000 feet>A.S.L. for reasons of visibility and identification between>airborne aircraft to avoid mid-air collisions).Hey Mitch do you happen to know...is that rule about landing lights below 10,000 a matter of SOP (standard operating procedures) for a given airline, or is that an FAA rule? Or just general convention?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Really not a big deal Zelensta, don't apologize. I'm not sure who voted Mr. Nitpick as Check Airman of this thread anyhow. Using simple context it was plainly obvious you meant 350.

>>Just as an added comment,>>>>>Above 10,000 feet, you are allowed to turn off your landing>>lights (which MUST be illuminated at and/or below 10,000>feet>>A.S.L. for reasons of visibility and identification between>>airborne aircraft to avoid mid-air collisions).>>Hey Mitch do you happen to know...is that rule about landing>lights below 10,000 a matter of SOP (standard operating>procedures) for a given airline, or is that an FAA rule? Or>just general convention?>>>Rhett>Rhett, I just checked the F.A.A. database and found that this rule of landing lights on below 10,000 feet is more S.O.P. for most North American airlines. At 10,000 feet and below, you are at 250 knots or less and on some aircraft, this is the speed or less that landing lights that are on landing struts can be operated safely. About the 250 knots below 10,000 feet, that one was truly more for flight separation than for cockpit penetration, but cockpit penetration is no laughing matter if you have a Canadian Goose or what's left of it in your teeth! Makes it kind of hard to maintain control of the aircraft...O:)Rhett, below is a quote from a captain's blog....'Some aircraft (Airbus, for example) have speed restrictions with regard to the operation of the landing lights and they'll usually be turned on or off usually passing through 10,000 feet. Below 10,000 feet aircraft are restricted to flying no faster than 250 knots for air traffic control purposes, and below 10,000 feet the speed limitation for the landing lights is met. This speed restriction for the lights has to do with how they extend and retract when they are turned on or off.'http://www.fromthecockpit.com/Ask_Cap_n_Me..._Questions.htmlMeryl Getline is a pilot, author of the award-winning book The World at My Feet and a keynote speaker for corporate and other gatherings