Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

Slow performance with clouds

Guest Unforgiven

I just updated my computer to a Core 2 Duo E8500 and a Radeon HD3850 512MB. I have 4GB RAM and am running Vista x64. Before the upgrade I had a E6420 and a Radeon X1950 Pro, everything else was the same.The upgrade brought some pretty nice performance improvements to FSX, except for one strange issue. Whenever there's a large number of clouds on screen (i.e. overcast) performance drops tremendously. Ultra-high settings on everything runs perfectly fine 30fps as long as I'm using "Fair Weather" or something like that. As soon as more clouds show up, performance degrades to about 5-15fps. It doesn't matter what else I do, even if I set everything else to minimal settings, I might gain a few frames back but it stays very slow.This did not happen before the upgrade! In fact, I got better performance in heavy weather with the old specs.I'm inclined to think this is to do with he graphics card, and not the CPU, as it still happens when the sim is paused, and if I change my view to look at the ground or something like that, where the (majority of the) clouds is no longer on screen, performance is back to normal.Any idea what could be causing this? Better yet, how do I fix it?

Guest SanH

hiI get similiar problems. I have maxed out the clouds draw distance and if you use any third party weather programs that create plenty of clouds then it does cause frame rates to drop. I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3ghz. Same as you, i get 25FPS anywhere (even Heathrow) with most settings maxed out. Put an overcast layer and it drops to 10FPS. I might look at using those lower resolution clouds that are more FPS happy. Not ideal but better than 10FPS.

Guest Unforgiven

>I have maxed out the clouds draw>distance and if you use any third party weather programs that>create plenty of clouds then it does cause frame rates to>drop.Hi SanH,Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I'm seeing this issue with default settings and built-in weather (e.g. thunderstorm or even real world weather on many occasions). Even if I reduce cloud cover to minimum it still happens (although less since there's less clouds, but anything more than fair weather will cause trouble).Again, this issue didn't happen on the same settings with a slower CPU and GPU, it's only after this update that I'm seeing this bizarre behaviour.

For me clouds have the biggest impact. A thunderstorm, for example, is the worst. I can be out in the middle of nowhere and I get 10-15 FPS. My system is E6850 at 3.4G, ATI HD2900 pro (512 mb), 2G RAM.I tried lower res clouds and that had no difference. Also, Active Sky X made it worse.I think its normal. I did try playing around a bit with the "CloudArtFiles.xml" file. I replaced some of high impact cloud types with ones that had a lower impact.

Guest davidvoogd

I have it too and I see the common theme already - ATI Radeon HD cards. I'm running FSX on an iMac (windows xp - boot camp), runs great until I get anything resembling an overcast, then it just tanks down to 10-12 fps. My only solution is to use the simple clouds it seems. Perhaps we should all submit tickets to ATI, as it seems its a driver issue.

Hi all,I just ugrade to an E8500 (now o'clocked to 3.63Ghz) but I have an Nvidia 8800GTX graphic card. I have no problem with clouds from a few wisps to a screenful of cumulus. The upgrade to the E8500 from an AMD 6000 was the best move I ever made with respect to FSX performance. I am very pleased with the extra performace I am getting with FSX. So its not the CPU that's giving cloud problems and the finger of suspicion must next point to the graphics sub system.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest marcg11

I'd just like to know where you got an E8500 - haven't been able to find any here in the US...

You will have to come to Oz to buy one apparently.;-)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest Stoopy

If can add some confusion to the mix, I'm running a spanking-new Sapphire ATI HD3870 (which I am ENORMOUSLY pleased, overjoyed and tickled with, I must say) and the cloud impact is now absolutely minimal - FAR far far far better than wth my old 1650 PRO 512 MB ATI card. On a non-O/C E6750 CPU. So, minimal bottlenecks now.But also, with FEX too (and prior to the new vid card) which helps with them-thar clouds and stuff anyways and looks all fantastical n'such. But the HD3870 just cranks through them clouds an mist and fog much better.

Have you also noticed that in spot view from the rear, water and snow spray have the same hit? For me these are almost worse - I had to remove the effect. I also think its the ATI card - I have HD2900 Pro. Can figure what it is. Same problem for all ATI drivers and clean install.

Sorry but the theory that poor cloud performance is an ATI thing doesn't play out in my case, in fact it's the exact opposite. I just upgraded from a x800xt to a 8800GT and was amazed to find that clouds can eat this board alive. I didn't have near the problems with the old board - wierd. In fact, I can gain one slider (to very dense autogen) since switching over, but frames are better overall, especially on the ground. I had read that Nvidia applies AA/AF to clouds which hinders performance, while Ati doesn't, but don't know if this is the root of the issue.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2 Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Zelensta

>If can add some confusion to the mix, I'm running a>spanking-new Sapphire ATI HD3870 (which I am ENORMOUSLY>pleased, overjoyed and tickled with, I must say) and the cloud>impact is now absolutely minimal - FAR far far far better than>wth my old 1650 PRO 512 MB ATI card. >>On a non-O/C E6750 CPU. So, minimal bottlenecks now.>>But also, with FEX too (and prior to the new vid card) which>helps with them-thar clouds and stuff anyways and looks all>fantastical n'such. But the HD3870 just cranks through them>clouds an mist and fog much better.How many MB? I have a Radeon HD 2600 XT (512 MB) and I have the same cloud problem as everyone else with an ATI. MAYBE THEY SHOULD PUT OUT NEW DRIVERS... although I doubt they're reading this.

Guest Stoopy

512MB on the HD3870. Seriously, not seeing a huge framerate impact - but - I did see it with my 1650.Same effect in IL2 and other flight sims as well...much better now.

>Sorry but the theory that poor cloud performance is an ATI>thing doesn't play out in my case, in fact it's the exact>opposite. I just upgraded from a x800xt to a 8800GT and was>amazed to find that clouds can eat this board alive. I didn't>have near the problems with the old board - wierd. In fact, I>can gain one slider (to very dense autogen) since switching>over, but frames are better overall, especially on the ground.> I had read that Nvidia applies AA/AF to clouds which hinders>performance, while Ati doesn't, but don't know if this is the>root of the issue.>>Regards, Kendall>>#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 > Gigabyte P35-DS3L > 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC6400 > Seagate 250GB 7200.10 SATA2> Gigabyte X800XT -Cat 6.12's> CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle > Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 >>#2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T.> 3GB PC4200 > Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sI also have a 8800GT and no problems with clouds here. What driver are you using?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest kolaf

I, too, am not in favor of ATI being the culprit. I have a GS8600GT 256MB (I know, not high-end...) and I also see a significant impact of clouds and vapor/spray. Other specs are C2D E6850 @ 3.8GHz, 3GB PC6400 RAM.