Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Challenging/Interesting Approaches

Guest bluesky21

I'm on the hunt for approaches and landings that can be considered "interesting" or "demanding". I've flown all the approaches in FSX-- Monsoon, Quito, etc. I've also made a safe landing at the infamous Kai Tak in poor visibility.If anyone's interested, I found the ILS approach into Jerusalem to be pretty rough-- when they refer to it as Mount Zion, they aren't kidding about "Mount". My 747 almost had a hernia trying to catch the glide slope. I crashed the first time I tried it... and got it on video. >.

Try the circling-only approach to MHTG in Honduras.You can download the plates on the 'net. It's really a fun challenge.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Thank you. :)Don't try it with a 747 :)In real life the biggest that do it are 757's...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest Rockcliffe

Try Castlegar in British Columbia. A unique approach. The IAP should be available on the net somewhere.

There are a whole series of "Dangerous and difficult approaches" in theAVSIM library. They were compiled for FS9 as flight files but I don'tknow if FS9 .flt files work in FSX. But you could have a look at themand set some up for FSX if they don't.

Guest Shalomar

There are no instrument aproaches (or lights), but Aerosoft's Lukla is a challenge. The CS C130 can do it, but the biggest planes that fly there in real life are twin otters.Best Regards, Donny :-wave

"I'm on the hunt for approaches and landings that can be considered "interesting" or "demanding"." This latest approach warning to LHR, should not be ignored if flying a 737-800 from the far east, so I'm informed.

Here's a vid of the end of the MHTG approach! Wild...strap yourself in your chair...

RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest bluesky21

Holy cow... Even without the crosswind, that would definitely add some gray hairs. I would never dream of flying anything bigger than a CRJ into that little patch of asphalt...

Guest CaptainT18

although not really dangerous, some of my favorite approaches have always been Courchevel, France (LFLJ), Innsbruck, Austria (LOWI), and almost anywhere else in Austria, plus Alaska and Australia.Almost any country has a bunch of interesting approaches, just a matter of doing some exploring

>Holy cow... Even without the crosswind, that would>definitely add some gray hairs. I would never dream of flying>anything bigger than a CRJ into that little patch of>asphalt... >>>CRJ? Shoot that's a 757 in the video (!) There are other vids out on the 'net with the MHTG approach, some of them are even better than that one.One Continental pilot said he used a CEMETERY and METAL SHEDS as visual references when making his turn.FS default scenery doesn't do it justice but I know of at least two scenery projects for FSX underway on it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest bluesky21

I know! I wouldn't fly a 757 in there to save my life!Have you ever wondered why someone decided to put an airport in some of these places? Take Dutch Harbor, for example. "Oh, here's a nice harbor... nice sharp turn... great cliffs to smash into... generally poor weather. Looks great. Oh, and leave out the ILS."}( On the bright side it makes FS interesting.

Guest ziporama

Build it and they will come?Aspen (KASE) is a nice little airport to get into, especially in poor weather and a quick hop from Denver. The localizer is also off-center which makes it more fun.Outside of regular runways, I like the Maule on skis and simply find a spot to land - good practice on inclines, and some of the mountain lakes aren't bad to practice approaches if you got your floats on.Cheers,Etienne