Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

FSX Problem

Hi, I'm relatively new to FSX, but have been a Flight Sim user for many years. Recently, I downloaded and installed SP2 to my FSX/SP1. FSX comes up and runs, but when I select Options/settings (or any other selection), FSX locks up. I thought my Nvidia driver might be the problem, so I changed from 6375 to the newer 6921, using Driver Sweeper and CCleaner. This did not help. My PC temps are steady at around 35 C, nothing is overclocked, and I am using only default scenery. The lockups happen at all locations and all aircraft.Any suggestions? If not, should I remove SP2 using the add/remove programs?Dale

Dale

Guest firehawk44

This is a common issue with FSX for many. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't have this menu crash. I just did a search on this forum using the keyword "menu" and found 4822 topics. There is no "magic bullet" that fixes this problem but some have solved it by turning on AF/AA in the Nvidia display settings; some have got it to stop by using nHancer instead of Nvidia's nTune; some had the FRAPS program installed and after uninstalling it, the problem stopped, and some got it to stop by installing the latest Nvidia WHQL driver, the 169.25 version. You can do your own "menu" search and see if you can find something similar to your problem. Don't forget to look in the Crash to Desktop forum too which will be included in the search results. If you don't find a solution, your only option is to uninstall SP2 until a permanent solution is found. Good luck.Best regards,Jim

>Hi, I'm relatively new to FSX, but have been a Flight Sim>user for many years. Recently, I downloaded and installed SP2>to my FSX/SP1. FSX comes up and runs, but when I select>Options/settings (or any other selection), FSX locks up. >>I thought my Nvidia driver might be the problem, so I changed>from 6375 to the newer 6921, using Driver Sweeper and>CCleaner. This did not help. My PC temps are steady at around>35 C, nothing is overclocked, and I am using only default>scenery. The lockups happen at all locations and all>aircraft.>>Any suggestions? If not, should I remove SP2 using the>add/remove programs?>>Dale >>Same here! I tried 10 driver releases and no change.

Thanks for the reply Jim,I'm already using Nhancer, but I'll try the tip on turning off AF/AA in the Nvidia display settings. I found a discussion in the CTD forum that suggested disabling CIE and/or EIST in the BIOS, but doing so didn't work for me. After spending all afternoon on this, i'm frustrated enough to just go back to FS9. It's a shame, though - FSX has some nice features.BTW, I'm not sure I can remove just SP2 - it appears I may have remove and reinstall FSX, then SP1?Dale

Dale

Sticking to windowed mode to make menu changes is another alternative.Make sure "show updates" is checked in the ARP dialog.

Guest firehawk44

"BTW, I'm not sure I can remove just SP2 - it appears I may have remove and reinstall FSX, then SP1?"I believe I read somewhere you need to run the SP2 exe again and it will give you the option to remove or repair the installation.Best regards,Jim

>Thanks for the reply Jim,>>I'm already using Nhancer, but I'll try the tip on turning off>AF/AA in the Nvidia display settings. I found a discussion in>the CTD forum that suggested disabling CIE and/or EIST in the>BIOS, but doing so didn't work for me. After spending all>afternoon on this, i'm frustrated enough to just go back to>FS9. It's a shame, though - FSX has some nice features.>>BTW, I'm not sure I can remove just SP2 - it appears I may>have remove and reinstall FSX, then SP1?>>DaleGo back to FS9?? Why don't you just stay with SP1? That's what me and lots of others are doing and everything runs great here. You don't need SP2.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

>>Thanks for the reply Jim,>>>>I'm already using Nhancer, but I'll try the tip on turning>off>>AF/AA in the Nvidia display settings. I found a discussion>in>>the CTD forum that suggested disabling CIE and/or EIST in>the>>BIOS, but doing so didn't work for me. After spending all>>afternoon on this, i'm frustrated enough to just go back to>>FS9. It's a shame, though - FSX has some nice features.>>>>BTW, I'm not sure I can remove just SP2 - it appears I may>>have remove and reinstall FSX, then SP1?>>>>Dale>>Go back to FS9?? Why don't you just stay with SP1? That's what>me and lots of others are doing and everything runs great>here. You don't need SP2.>>Cheers.I will attempt to remove SP2 today. There's a lot I like about FSX, but I miss some of the add-ons I had with FS9. I'm not sure I want to start investing in a lot of similar add-ons for FSX, at least until some of the problems have been resolved. As an example, the Eaglesoft CJ1 I purchased for FSX is a wonderful aircraft, but when I use it with RC4, I get a lock-up. There may be a work around, but I'm tired of spending more time trying fixes than flying.At the very least, I will keep FSX/SP1 just for the occasional vfr flight. Dale

Dale

>"BTW, I'm not sure I can remove just SP2 - it appears I may>have remove and reinstall FSX, then SP1?">>I believe I read somewhere you need to run the SP2 exe again>and it will give you the option to remove or repair the>installation.>>Best regards,>Jim>>Thankyou Jim,The Sp2.exe worked exactly as you said and I am back to FSX w/Sp1.Dale

Dale

I also have the problem. Somebody on here advised that you use keyboard keys when navigating the menu instead of the mouse. This solved the problem for me. I have not had a lockup since while using the keyboard. Typical shoddy microslop programming, and we are caught in the middle. Its Nvidias, fault, its Microslops fault... neither of us care about the end user mentality.Use the keyboard and you will be fine.-Stampee

Guest RichardL

Thank you for the suggestion to un-install SP2 via the install program. In progress as I write.I have posted a few crash questions in the CTD forum. I have tried all the previously recommended suggestions but still have CTD's. This happens on a newly built system with only FSGenesis and FSUIPC add-on files. My Vista64 OS Reports and Problems log shows twenty or more data bridge errors, mostly attributed to GoFlight's GFConfig. Twenty-four instances where Microsoft Flight Simulator stopped working. Also, six instances where Microsoft Flight Simulator X stopped working. Not sure why there are two versions since FSX is the only version to ever reside on the hard drive. All errors have been reported to MS. Am I dissapointed with FSX, yes, but do enjoy flying with it for the few minutes that it does work.Richard

Guest RichardL

Just completed a three hour flight from KATL to KABQ. Perfect! No CTD! This was with SP2 un-installed. More testing to complete but something does not appear right with SP2 installed on my sim computer.Richard