Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Grounded Never to fly microsoft FSX again.

I really get a kick over posts like this.FSX has been much more stable (for me) than FS9 ever was.Have fun.

Guest Stoopy

Ruh-Roh. Now I need help too.I've been using FSX from the demo, to the initial release, to SP1, then to Acceleration with SP2. And have addons like FEX, UTX, other stuff, good gravy tons and tons of scenery and aircraft and extras like TrackIR and whatnot.Not sure what to think now because my system has not had errors of any kind, really, or CTD's, no warnings, lockups or blue screens. Wait - one repeatable CTD traced to an older FS9 scenery that doesn't work in SP2. Otherwise, just the expected occasional prop or window texture issues with some imported FS9 planes. I'm not overclocking anything right now but did temporarily O/C my E6750 to around 3.0Ghz for a time. Have the same vid card and same amount of memory too.To add to the fun I even allow my whole family to use it so there's no telling how it's abused when I'm not around. Although Gramma plays solitaire and doesn't flight sim much. Same for wifey. Running Xp and religously keep it up to date with Windows updates and drivers and AV scans and defrags and all your basic periodic maintenance stuff. It doesn't bode well that regardless, the time must be short for the digital Grim Reaper to appear and point a ghastly, crooked bony finger at my system too, signaling that the End of Days is near...if only some type of pattern could be detected to the madness....I'm sorry you are having this problem....

Guest RGH

Hi bkeske.Thank you for the have fun, I certainly will, now my Flight simulator game as gone.As you say it is more stable than FS9 but no way can you say it is stable, and be telling the truth.By all means stick by the game you love to play, and so did I. But I have tested FSX and found it wanting in many ways the code allows many other programs to interfere with it. OH I am wasting my time but the people that are in the know, will know what I am talking about.Yes my friend, I am going to start enjoying working and playing on my PC and not trying to sort out the inefficiencies in FSX I will leave that to you.All the best Rex.

Guest Stoopy

>But I have tested FSX and found it wanting in many ways the>code allows many other programs to interfere with it. Honestly I am curious, how do you test the code to see this, do you have access to the source code from Microsoft so you can perform a proper code review, or what actually is involved?

Guest RGH

Hi stoopyI came on AVSIM to say best of look to a lot of people I have had the pleasure to have discussed Flight simulator with and ignored the clever know all's, How I find out what is wrong With FSX I discuss the subject with very clever people and test the results of the conversations on my PC, May I suggest you read my first post, then go to UK 2000 scenery and check out the post for hanger doors and see what one of the worlds leading airport makers as to say.Once again I will say farewell to you all.Enjoy your flying Rex.LAST POST (Bugle plays)

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I ran FS9 from the day it was released until about a month ago on the same PC, one single install and, by the time I finally upgraded last month, about a 6 gig load-up of add-ons and frankly, I don't even know what you're talking about regarding "event viewer." I can (and I mean this literally) count on one hand the number of times the sim crashed to desktop on me in a nearly four year period of time. If you are careful about how you install things and if you do a good job of maintaining your machine the sim is remarkably stable. It'll be a cold day in H-E-dbl-hockeysticks before I re-install an OS to get a sim or game running stable. Basically what I'm saying is if you have had the experience you say you've had with FS9 and now FSX, you are doing something wrong. It's that simple...

Guest Lennyt

>I really get a kick over posts like this.>>FSX has been much more stable (for me) than FS9 ever was.>>Have fun.If it bothers you so don't respond.To the OP. FSX is what it is. Hopefully the new incarnation of FS will give us a newly coded engine and we can start fresh.On my quad core system I've done numerous changes and then bought the 8800GT 512 mb OC card but the DX10 preview was never stable and that was going through numerous drivers. I've since not gone back to the preview but I've had to uninstall UTX because the overhead was just too much for my 3 gig quad core system to handle. Oh well. I deleted FS9 completely though because I want to move forward as painful as that moving forward has been.

Guest Stoopy

Hi too, Rex!Well, OK I see your process and thanks. Not that it's anything special, but personally I have a development background going back to 1979 although I'm no longer doing active coding for the multiple real-time systems my group works on, unfortunately after so much time in that saddle they put me in a place where I manage the group and projects, and oversee the high-level design instead. I just mention it in passing because the (possibly dogmatic) industry-standard view is that usually it's more credible to use things like debug tools, design review processes, and be intimately familiar with the systems, development process and actual code itself in order to generalize that there are inherent problems with said 'code'. However, one must always stay abreast of new techniques and talking to clever people in the outside world instead could be a subsitute for the overall software development life cycle process that could give us the competitive edge we've been looking for. And upper management will love the idea that it's free consulting, which could save a lot of time, effort and budget...so I appreciate the tip. Best of luck with your endeavors!

>If it bothers you so don't respond.Did I say it bothered me?I said I 'get a kick' out of such posts.But again...I'm been using FS since FS5.0 days, and I was actually serious, FSX may be the most stable of all of them, and actually the best performer across the board. I have many many add-ons, and I do not see/have the issue with them as the original poster has stated. So, to say it is only stable sans add-ons is really not correct.I just wanted to set the record straight for those who may be lurking in this forum and continue to make the decision not to 'get their toes wet' in regards to FSX.Heck....I say, jump on it, the waters fine.

Guest DigitalNoise

Good Luck.I have to concure, FSX is suckzers. >Period. I too have mostly moved on (or back to FS9).yet at the same time FSX has good stuff, but in the end, after having convinced freinds to throw mucho money into new rigs...the disapointment is just too much, very inconsistant performance, very inconsistant exicution by Aces (crapy wheather, textures bla bla bla. FSX is the bigest disapointment of all time. Dont bother tryin to flame either, there is nothing to say. Been right here at Avsim since FS5 (been siming since FSIII).Been an FS fan and designer of AC. Panels and huge Photo scnenry projects and have laid out sooo much of other peoples money in me owm projects...to be soo very disapointed DX10 Ggggg Thanks Aces.PT, please dont bother, Dont really give a Rodents bullocks about when u inherited the wind etc. MS advertized it, we paid for it, it sucks.

Guest DigitalNoise

>>If it bothers you so don't respond.>>Did I say it bothered me?>>I said I 'get a kick' out of such posts.>>But again...I'm been using FS since FS5.0 days, and I was>actually serious, FSX may be the most stable of all of them,>and actually the best performer across the board. I have many>many add-ons, and I do not see/have the issue with them as the>original poster has stated. So, to say it is only stable sans>add-ons is really not correct.>>I just wanted to set the record straight for those who may be>lurking in this forum and continue to make the decision not to>'get their toes wet' in regards to FSX.>>Heck....I say, jump on it, the waters fine.>U Are Joking, Your system ok, fine. I build high end systems, have since 486DX2 and 2mb ATI Vesa Bus Diamond Vipers where the rage, SLI +++ $$$, Have refunded so many freinds. FSX is pathetic, on too many variations of hardware period. BSD, dont need to happen to say FSX is brokered, stutter, FPS that just sink for no reason...poping scenery, broken menus. on soo many configs I have given up, lost part of small business (ok, hobby that cost as much) Please go get an eye test.

Guest CaptainT18

correction: it sucks, for YOU. I have a medium-high end system and FSX runs great on my system with all my addons, and I see vast improvements over FS9. Also, I have never experienced any problems period except for the occasional stutter and maybe two or three CTDs.I'm sorry FSX isn't working for you, but rest assured: FS11 will be much better. Don't worry.

I'd love to decipher this and make some sense, but really, it just comes down to this: You said you moved back to FS9, then you're in the wrong forum. This one is for people who fly on FSX.

Gee thanks for letting us all know that FSX totally screws up your PC. NOT !!!CraigLian Li PC 65B CaseCorsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power SupplyPlextor PX-810SA/SW-BL DVD/CDGiagabyte GA-P35-DS3RCrucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)Arctic Freezer 7 ProIntel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache @ 3.6 GHzEVGA 7950GT KO 512mb 169.21_forceware whqlSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATASeagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATAWinXP Pro SP2