Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Grounded Never to fly microsoft FSX again.

Guest DigitalNoise

Realy? So you like the whether effects in FSX? Hows the Snow and Rain? Improved over Fs9? Oh, sorry I mean FS5.1 You like the scorched earth desert textures most every season except summer as a result of some Global Warming effect via MS? You like the Alpha Terrain texture mask that wher done at what 16 meter per pix while we have 1 meter terrain textures?Hey, have you invested in quad core plus sli + vista and done DX10? Wow! Hey, Hva eyou built more than 12 sytems at >6K each Oops, scratch that three cancled just on account of all the great feedback of all the successes, add 20 or so systems still in the high end range, friends, long time FSrs, ALL disapointed. Some living with it, sure.Do you know what good FS experiance is like? Do you know what kind of Aniso an ATI cardcan provide over a NV (Still) but then Aces messed it up with the in game settings that no other games use that mess with the drivers? How many driver engineers at both AMD and NV hate FS but wont admit it publicly??Hmmm why would that be? FSX was aborted thats why. Plain and simple then they hired pr to spin and fix, but hey go ahead, enjoy the wheather, and the terrain.

Guest DigitalNoise

Excuse me mr. Cipher High on yer horses sadle, freakin Punk Kid. (Old Phart gets Dander up and stubles back with some old Boxing stance)Please dont try to throw yer weight (I'll call Uncy Tom). I know FS inside and out. Been dealing with this, have read every line. Worked at fairly high levels. Sit back and think before you try to insult, please. Think back to all the versions and how hard all of us tried to get MS to listen. you really think FSx is what we Paid for? Was led to hope it would be? You think the DX10 Preview tease + invested Vista soft/hardware was pleaseant for Vendors? folks who build and have to do customer service for folks like you and me and everyone on this forum? Does it work? Ummm sometimes its ok? But 5 or six out of ten is not good. And thats the final tally, it usualy starts out ten out of ten bad, and then you start reloading all drivers and softawrae and helping people adjust all settings and going thru long disccusions of why it will have to get better etc. Its been a bad joke.Do you really think have Ag pop up out of knowe where as a a new "feature" as "new" programing is an improvement?Lets see, we got new DX10 Cockpit Shadows, and new Wave caps, wow! In the maen time, the snow could not be worse, the rain? the odd textures, random behavior? If you think yes then you should just enjoy yer sim. Do you like 6 bit LCD screens too?

>Good Luck.>>I have to concure, FSX is suckzers. >Period. I too have mostly>moved on (or back to FS9).>>yet at the same time FSX has good stuff, but in the end, after>having convinced freinds to throw mucho money into new>rigs...the disapointment is just too much, very inconsistant>performance, very inconsistant exicution by Aces (crapy>wheather, textures bla bla bla. >>FSX is the bigest disapointment of all time. Dont bother tryin>to flame either, there is nothing to say. Been right here at>Avsim since FS5 (been siming since FSIII).>>Been an FS fan and designer of AC. Panels and huge Photo>scnenry projects and have laid out sooo much of other peoples>money in me owm projects...to be soo very disapointed DX10>Ggggg Thanks Aces.>>PT, please dont bother, Dont really give a Rodents bullocks>about when u inherited the wind etc. MS advertized it, we paid>for it, it sucks.Wow, makes me want to send this thing back. I have a new unopened copy of FSX and could still return it for a restocking fee. I guessed it would be worth the perf hit but now I really question this reading all this stuff. I have a fast machine now so FS9 runs superbly no matter what the situation or addon, so perhaps maybe I will just pick up some upgraded scenery and call it good.QX9650 @ 4.0GHz/1.285 vCore / 8GB PC-800 Mushkin (cheap!) / evga 8800GT @ 660Mhz / 2xSATA 2 drives /

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Realy? So you like the whether effects in FSX? Hows the Snow and Rain? Improved over Fs9? Oh, sorry I mean FS5.1You like the scorched earth desert textures most every season except summer as a result of some Global Warming effect via MS? It all depends on what you are comparing!FS9 default scenery vs FSX default scenery = Winner FSXFS9 Addon (GE, UTUSA, FSGenesis or the like Vs FSX Default = Winner FS9FS9 Addon (GE, UTUSA, FsGenesis...) Vs FSX Addon (GEX, UTUSAX, FsGenesis)= Winner No Contest FSX!When all is said and done though, it's a personal choice! So if you like FS9 better, so be it.The main problem with FSX is one of perception, which is Aces fault. FSX was built with future hardware in mind, as was FS9 and all other versions before it. This is a good thing, it makes it possible to make the sim more detailed as your hardware advances, and extends the life of the sim. The problem is they included these settings in the GUI. So people being what they are, naturally want to run it full bore with all sliders and options maxed. When they find it's a slide show they immediately poo poo it, without given it a chance. and it immediately gets a bad reputation that really is undeserved, especially in the general gaming community. What they should have done was limit the GUI detail settings, to the capabilities of the current hardware at time of release. Which would still be much more detailed than FS9. Options for the future should have been adjustable via the fsx.cfg file. They made significant improvements to performance with SP1, (Same as they did when SP1 was released for FS9) which is what I use mostly. I do think they took a step or 2 backwards with SP2, to sacrifice backward compatibility midstream for the DX10 preview, which in my view, doesn't add any extra value to FSX. Especially since there is no further development FSX. That as I said before, should have been something that waited til FSXI!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest DigitalNoise

Why should it depend on what we are comparing? If its not a step up, leave it alone, right? You fly in just sunny weather or what? Just summer? Even FUII/III has better wheather. You should know. thats been yer sim right Tom?You also do not seem to grasp all the problems that those of us who build systems that are mainly geared at the high end. I have built Custom AGP systems that can rune FSX at "full bore" doesn't mean squat! Wake up Tom....Sorry but Pleazzz you guys, We all know there are likeable things etc. But please dont pretend. The sim on a whole got butchered in many respects, Auto Gen now POps into view...PLease!. It plainly is pathetic in many areas especialy considering the HARDWARE. Still doesn't take full advantage of MS developed DX9...from how long ago? DX10?...yawn

OK DigitalNoise, you don't like FSX, that's clear enough but this discussion is turning into a sterile and useless monologue.Please stop bashing, this really doesn't help and becomes to be very boring.Last warning.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Stephen L

It's clear you're disgusted with FSX, some people share your disgust, but most in this forum don't. You've said your peace... but now you're beginning to sound like your name.. DigitalNoise! FS9 forum is back the other way. Thanks for stopping by.

>Hi bkeske.>Thank you for the have fun, I certainly will, now my Flight>simulator game as gone.>As you say it is more stable than FS9 but no way can you say>it is stable, and be telling the truth.>By all means stick by the game you love to play, and so did I.>But I have tested FSX and found it wanting in many ways the>code allows many other programs to interfere with it. OH I am>wasting my time but the people that are in the know, will know>what I am talking about.>Yes my friend, I am going to start enjoying working and>playing on my PC and not trying to sort out the inefficiencies>in FSX I will leave that to you.>All the best >Rex.Wow, thats really a shame. I guess having being involved with MSFS since the mid 80's on a PCXT, let me say that running FSX today is no problems at all in comparison to some of the issues we had to deal with in those days.For me FSX is a dream when run on appropriate hardware with appropriate drivers and freshly installed with all the available service packs.I do however wish you all the best with whatever you do in place of FSX time.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBCH Throttle Quadrant USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32

Guest RGH

Hi againIf you run FSX on a PC on its own, without Add ons, without the Internet, and without antispyware and virus programs You will get it to run fine most of the time.The problem I personally have found with FSX it can not protect itself from been interfered with by other programs and this is what the intermittent faults operators get. These are programs that check for updates, antivirus programs you think are disabled but are not, all these interfere with FSX whether you are flying on line or not, and are out of most peoples control. These also affect add ons that are installed into FSX. But this interference as a knock on effect, it can and does effect the programs that are effecting FSX and can damage files, and corrupt the registry thus giving the LOADPERF error most people see when operating FSX.Without FSX been installed I do not have these problems, I enjoyed the challenge Flight simulator gave me but not the problems that it brings with it.This is my opinion on the subject that I have tested over the past 12 months on my PC and I have been pointed by experienced people to do. Please do not ask what I have done to arrive at my decision I really have not got the time or AVSIM the space.If you can accept the faults of FSX then it is great to play or operateI have made my decision because after many months of trying I know that I can not improve it, so I have made the decision to remove FSX and I will never install it again.All the Best.Rex.

I run FSX with ASX, AISmooth, I have used Radar Contact, and I just downloaded and tried VOXATC. Other programs I use is Gamecam for Videos.I also use FDC Live Cockpit. Addon scenery include GEX, UTUSAX, FSGenesis 10m mesh. Xgraphics. I run with a large set of WOAI traffic at 100% My addon aircaft include the PMDG 744X, LDS767, CS757. All with no interference, or CTD's. As for AV programs, your right they do cause problems in FSX, but that's also true in FS9, mostly stuttering. I use Norton and disable it when I sim. No problem. The key to getting decent performance in FSX, is Turn off Bloom, lens flare, and ground shadows (Aircraft shadows are ok!), and set water to 2xLow. Use supersampling AA not Multisampling.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I find your thread amazing. Since you addressed Tom several times I hope he will respond.I'll address a couple of your thoughts though:1) Since you list your resume mine is: I've been simming since Final flight (pre fs1), programmed my first artificial horizon in machine language on a commodore 64, and have easily bought twice the systems you list. I also have been flying for real longer than you have simmed. Therefore-I think I might be more deserving your title of "old Phart". So are quite a few other people who frequent this board. With your relative youth I would think you would remember the fiasco fs for windows, and to a certain extent fs5 was-perhaps even clouds that looked like ice cubes?2) I abandoned the ms series for much of the 90's finding fuiii,pro pilot, fly, and xplane better sims at those times-therefore I really have no loyalty to this product-however for reasons that apparently you don't share-I find fsx the best right now. That's fine-we all have our own opinions.3) For the first time in 27 years-I did not upgrade my system to run the newest version of fs-in fact it ran rather well on my at the time 4 year old machine, though I had to turn quite a few sliders down....also for the first time-I upgraded my computer 3 months ago for only $1000- a fraction of the cost I have ever paid to upgrade in my 27 year history- I am getting better performance with a multitude of add ons than I ever got with any other sim-also a first4) Since you mention clouds-yes-I have never seen any better in a sim. Fuiii's-I thought those little anvil clouds were hysterical-I liked the weather system at the time but found the implementation rather weak...I did like fuIII best for its' sense of adventure-which we finally have in fsx in missions, moving auto traffic etc. which the forward looking fuiii had 10 years ago-at the cost of poor performance, complaints, and finally going out of business because of the complaints. What a shame.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Yep, it's the same here. Been doing this for around 20 years, and probably longer. Those "anvil" clouds in FUIII do look rediculous by today's standards, and I'll take FSX weather over FS9's anyday!I also went with Pro-Pilot during it's "heyday", as I "knew" FS98 was behind the times regarding realistic topography, as well as clouds. L.Adamson -- FS9,FSX,X-Plane

Well...What an interesting thread. I can't resist adding my two cents.I don't know that much about computers. Those that do will laugh me off as an idiot. But if FSX dosen't play nicely with other programs, than how can I run FSX, FS9, Video editors(Pinnacle Plus, Nero), Sibelius (music composition),Correl Draw, and more, on my $350 Compac on which I upgraded the MoBo, cpu and gpu. No loadperf errors,couple of Pinnacle errors. The only ctd's happen when i try to OC anything. I don't run any addons by choice, but plenty of people do run them without problems. I like FSX,but it is just a game,not life or death.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

As this thread progresses, it's becoming more and more apparent that neither the OP nor mr. digitalnoise have any idea whatsoever what they are talking about. All I can say is I truly feel sorry for anyone in the tech support dept at MS or any other developer as I just can't imagine the frustration of having to deal with the complaints of self-proclaimed "experts" like these two all day long.