Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Anyone tried DreamScenery Indianapolis X ?

Hi all ...I just wondered if anyone has tried this product. The church I pastor is located about 3 miles from the approach end of Runway 5 at Indianapolis International. Being a real world pilot, I have been in and out of KIND many times. I was initially excited about the earlier version of this scenery for FS-9.However... after puchasing the original FS-9 product, I was disappointed. The ground textures were absolutely off color... an ugly-too-bright-off-color-blue-greenish-tint. Almost no variations in the color. I thought the amount of 3-D modeling both in downtown and at the airport was less than it could/should have been for $30+ product. Also my FS-9 hardware configuration ran extremely slow around the airport... like JFK or similar.Now with the new scenery announced by Dreamscenery ( http://www.dreamscenery.com.ar/ ) on the AVSIM news and other forums... I am very hesitant to purchase, although I want badly a good scenery for my home area. If anyone has already taken the plunge, could you please share your impressions? I searched for a review on line and couldn't find one.Thank you, Steve

Hi Steve,I live in Indianapolis too. It seems not many are using this software since you did not get a response. I've looked at it, but don't do a lot of simming right in the Indy area so don't feel like spending more money on software which I might not use much. Mostly I use KGEZ or KHFY which are on my end of town.Ben

Hi Ben ...Thanks for your response. I was really surprised that NO ONE reading this forum would have tried it. I'm not certain which airports are KGEZ and KHFY. I live in the country southwest of Indy just below Martinsville. We don't have high speed internet out here, or I would try TileProxy. I grew up in Indy and soloed on about my 16th birthday. I haven't flown for a number of years but I may start again this summer. I've collected about 3000 hours so I KNOW what Indy looks like from the air. I'd love to purchase this software ... but I have a bad taste left over from the first version.Thanks for your response... Feel free to e-mail me if you want. I'd be happy to respond. I wonder where you live and if you do any real world flying.Thanks,Steve

I looked at the screenshots.IMO, You can do a lot better with Instant scenery yourself!Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

What's with Indianapolis these days? It's the new hot airport. Blueprint Simulations has also released their new KIND scenery. I wonder how that one compares?Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I live on the NW side of Indy and have eyeballed that scenery too. The first thought that popped into my head was: "I wonder if with all those lovely buildings, could one get it to play nice with UTX?"

Hi Steve,Sorry about your slow internet. I'm in Franklin Township and my DSL seems to get faster all the time. KHFY = Greenwood (3 miles from my house) and KGEZ = Shelbyville. I have a PPL and A&P but haven't been involved with real aviation since the 80s. Except of course a few zillion hours riding on commercial airlines. I've thought of getting back into it, but the investment of time and money to stay current does not seem reasonable at this point. Which is why I enjoy FS!I take it you have not tried out any of three or so Indy packages which have come out? BTW, I'm looking forward to the new KIND terminal right between the runways. Indy is a great place to fly airlines out of and that will just make it better because of the modern terminal and shorter taxi times.Ben

I wonder if this thread doesn't show the real problem with add on single airport developers.I've flown to Indy at least 5 times (commercially) but am not all that interested in this scenery as it isn't a main "hub" for me. The cost just doesn't justify the usage for me personally.So who will this sell to?-those avid flight simmers who live in Indy who also know that you can purchase add addon airports to use in fs... (most don't and just use the default fsx).Frankly this seems to me to be a rather small market share... I feel bad for the developers who I am sure did this as a labor of love.If someone did my home airport of kptk in this detail I would buy it in a second-but how many others would be interested?I mention this not to be confrontational but I see this as a real problem for airport developers-especially since the defaults in fsx are already pretty good and as Manny mentions there are products like ezscenery that can spice up the already pretty good defaults.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi Steve,I don't have the DreamScenery version, but I have just purchased the Blueprint Simulations KIND. I live in Louisville, and have previously purchased Blueprints KSDF with which I have bee very pleased. The FSX default KIND is pretty bland and lacking in any realistic detail of buildings and taxiways and such. Blueprints KIND looks very nice and hardly made a dent on my frame rate; a great deal for $15Dreamscenery KIND is nearly twice as expensive and my fear was that it would have a heavy PFS penalty.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Hi Ben ...An interesting thing. I live on a rural road and AT&T has just buried fiber optics to within a mile of my house and then they stopped. Hopefully I'll be in the next round of burying cable.I don't have an A&P. If so, my life would have been different. I feel certain I would have been involved in Mission Aviation Fellowship but they used to require an A&P and an Extra Class Amateur Radio license, which I have. My ratings are ATP, CFI-A-I ASMEL. Most of my flight time is on other people's money (i.e. ME charters, flight instruction, etc.). I am a pastor, and as you might imagine ... the satisfaction level dramatically outweighs the financial compensaton. Consequently, I just renewed my instructor's certificate and am looking to get involved this spring/summer in under the new Light/Sport Aircraft rules. This will open the door to lots of people since the costs run about 50 to 60% of a normal PPL. I read in the EAA publication that there is a LSA operation at Eagle Creek. I'm planning to look into that. I'd love to get back into instructing and personal flying at a more reasonable rate. "I take it you have not tried out any of three or so Indy packages which have come out?"Are you speaking just of the KIND airport ... or general Indy scenery as well? I think only Dreamscape offers the general Indy scenery. Which packages are you talking about?Thanks,Steve

Hi Ron ...As I recall the original DreamScenery was a pretty expensive FPS hit, so you are probably right. Thanks ... I will try to find the BluePrints website and look into that. Actually, I wish there was some photo realistic scenery. I don't think DreamScenery is photo realisitc. Maybe someonw knows. Just a lot of 3-D models, I think.Thanks, Steve

Ya, that is a problem. And the amount of work it takes to ceate custom scenery (that is if you have custom built objects), it just isn't worth it for developers to create detailed airports. The only exception is if the developer does a realy good job - like the portland Flight Scenery add-on by Vauchez. Then you can get some good market. But not even that is really good market.I personaly wouldn' get the add-on, excpecially for 30$. And Scenery will usually just slow down the sim even more. Unless you hear otherwize.

Guest Ethan744N763

Hi Steve,I had a few bucks lying around so I took a look at KIND X (Airport Only) and purchased it. I have SP2 Acc. and I encountered a problem so I had to add the Scenery to the Scenery Library itself. Once I fired FSX up to KIND I saw that ugly green texture. I slewed around and saw nicely-modeled FedEx buildings and other eye-candy. I tested the jet ways to find slow-ugly moving ones. I went up high and saw an ugly KIND X-FSX Default mixture. Maybe I should have bought some other cheap utility but I actually enjoyed flying in to KIND. I have a rather fast PC but my FPS was low. Not the best but hey, it was only $15. Maybe this will help. Read the review here on Avsim to. -Ethan