Sign in to follow this  
Guest gnarvster

A TileProxy "Quick Guide" is now online...

Hi all, just a quick note. If you've been considering trying out Christian Buchner's revolutionary freeware FS program "TileProxy" but felt a bit intimidated by the setup, or haven't heard of it yet, I've created a "Quick Guide" that may help de-mystify the setup and use of the program. Check it out here: http://www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/7.2http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184740.jpgView of TP Beta 7 and FS9 over Hamilton, MontanaThe latest Beta 7 version has fantastic water masks, a moving map, an in-sim user interface, and if your running dual core or better, much faster FSX loading times. So, if you havenen't tried it out or had difficulty with earlier versions you may wish to check out the "Quick Guide" and give it a spin. Works great with FS9 too, as always.Also just for the record, even after installation TP now allows you to boot FSX and FS9 as normal if you prefer, so you may fly with the default textures or other normal addons as well, thus you won't be fundamentally altering your default FS9 install by installing the program. Christian's dedication to TP has really blessed us all with a remarkable new way to fly.Happy Landings! -Ed Truthan

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

>Many thanks Ed! I've been wanting to jump back in but didn't>want to go thru the learning curve again. It looks great!>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/Yes I share the same thoughts Geofa,so thanks so much for this Ed... and of course Christian ;)

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I need a little help here.I installed as per instructions and told install to put the cache file and the other one in C:Ron's Programs folder.Now in that folder I have a Tile Proxy Photoreal World folder but I see no cache folder.Would my entry in the Proxy User.ini be cache_folder=C:Ron's Programscache.service1 etc?Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

That's right Ron. TileProxy will generate the cache folder's creation when it begins to download tiles after you load your first flight.After that the folders will remain there and be added to as you fly different areas with that particular provider. You can clear the cache folders from the TileProxy Start Menu > All Programs links from time to time if they begin to grow too large. More information on this can be found in the TP Manual. I'll add this bit of knowledge to the "Quick Guide" so others aren't confused. Thanks for the post.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Thank you.One other question after reading manual.It says it changes some settings in fs.cfg.Will they change back to what I have now when I am not running TileProxy or do I have to manually change them or should I not have TileProxy change them?If I do not want them changed do I have to reinstall TP and uncheck the box or can I do that when I run it the first time.Thanks for the help.Ron

I gather this is pay as you fly.What speed broadband do you needfor this?Peter Sydney Australia

RPowers,For the record, for FS9 users, TileProxy does not alter your FS9.cfg in any way, but it does change a few settings in the FSX.cfg. The TP Manual lists these changes are made:[Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT is set to 400[Main]Maximized is set to 0DisablePreload is set to 1FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION is set to 0.33[GRAPHICS]TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD is set to 1024TEXTURE_QUALITY is set to 3IMAGE_QUALITY is set to 0[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS is set to 2.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY is set to 85MESH_RESOLUTION is set to 22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION is set to 25DETAIL_TEXTURE is set to 1[bufferPools]PoolSize is set to 5000000[Display.Device.Your Graphics Card Name.0]MipBias is set to 6Anisotropic is set to 1Most of the entries listed except "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION" and "BufferPools" are settings that are the in-sim user controlled FSX Display Settings Sliders anyway and so are not "Permanent" changes to your FSX setup. As for the "FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION" and "BufferPools" additions these are tweaks that have been recommended to improve FSX default performance for some time, so there shouldn't be anythng risky about these tweaks. See:http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/FSX_FPS_GuideYou can always back up your FSX.cfg before installing TP (or uninstall it if you already have and the back up your restored original then). You can also back up your display settings in the FSX display interface I believe too.

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

TP Beta 7 in fact alters FS9.cfg - but the changes are now also mentioned in the documentation. In particular I enable extended terrain textures and set the detail radiuses to reasonable values. This is done *only* if you leave the installer checkbox "also install for FS 2004 (Century of Flight)" checked during TP installation.

Cat,Not sure what you mean by "pay as you fly", TileProxy is Freeware. As for internet connection speeds faster is probably better, (TP is impossible with a dial-up connection. I have a not so hot DSL line and FS9 loads textures fine. FSX is slower loading but that is a factor of increased numbers of tiles being loaded due to higher resolution levels being called. The latest version of TP is the fastest yet for FSX, but you should have FSX SP2 and a dual core machine to benefit the increased speeds.

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

I'd say 1 MBit/s broadband and above is fine. If you get plenty of timeouts during operation, adjust the rate=2.0 setting inside module_config to 1.0 or 0.5, which will extend the timeout period. You can also lower the number of simultaneous connections (conn=20 is the default).

Where is the mod_cfg?Thanks,Ron

These are the settings after TP is installed?I only ask because in another of my posts you alluded to fibre_frame of .66 and said that changing to it might affect my frame rates but probably would not.Ron