Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Kai Tak Question

Were special briefs given to the passengers by the cabin crew before commencing the approach for runway 13 at Kai Tak?I can imagine more than a few would start to panic as the aircraft turned in such a manner if they had not been told.

Phil, having done that approach a number of times, I can tell you that no prior announcements were made. That was on BA, United, Singapore Air and Cathay Pacific. I will never forget the BA flight. It originated in Seoul, Korea and was heading for London via Kai Tak. I boarded in Seoul. VERY much IMC that night upon arrival with thunder, lightening and generally very bad mojo. The turn was the least of my worries. :)

I don't remember one - though I only made three or four landings there in commercial jets.Of course, with all the multiple languages they use on those flights - they'd have to start giving the briefing 200 nm out.

Guest Bob I

On one rather bumpy approach years ago, the stu made a recommendation that all PAX with heart conditions pull down the window shades. The aircraft was a DC10-30, and the center line gear snapped off just after touchdown. This was a very common problem early in the -30 program.Bob I... in sunny Florida

I flew into Kai Tak several times and never heard an anouncement. I guess passengers were tougher in thse days!