Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkullxBones

TrackIR

Guest SkullxBones

My TrackIR has never been able to move much beyond the center of the cockpit on any plane I fly. In other words, if I slide my head to the right to try to get a straight-on look at the co-pilots instruments, it stops just a little past the center of the cockpit. I always assumed this was normal and something to do with FSX.After messing with the TrackIR profile editor, watching the virtual heads move, I notice they stop after a limited amount of lateral movement even thought my head is still moving and still in sensor range. So I thought the TrackIR software was causing the limited side movement. So I posted on the TrackIR support forum and tech basically said it was not their software that was limiting it, even though it seems like it is.What I would like to know is if anyone else has this same lateral limitation that I have or can you move all the way to the right side cockpit window in a C172?

Each plane seems a bit different. What I do know is FSX seems to be a bit more limiting with TrackIR than FS9 was (I can get the TrackIR 'stuck' much easier in FSX as example, and use a voice command of "center" to re-set the unit, which makes things a more bearable). Personally I have a feeling this is a constraint of the FSX CameraDefinitions, but I have never taken the time to figure out if modifying the VC entries could improve things.If anyone has more knowledge about this, and knows whether these cfg entries could be modified to better serve TrackIR users, I would love to hear from them, but to me, there just does not seem to be any obvious values/entries that can help the situation.

Guest SkullxBones

I don't know about the camera definition, but the Battle of Britain and Rfactor games that came with my TrackIR also have limited side movement.Start your TrackIR software, then choose 'Heads' from the 'View' menu, and slide your head right or left and watch the Right virtual head stop when it reaches the side of the window even though your head is still moving. To me that looks like a TrackIR software limitation, otherwise why wouldn't the head just keep moving until the sensor is out of range.

Hm, well, I can move my head until the sensor is out of range... If you have the TrackClip Pro, be sure to enable it in each profile: by default all profiles think you own the older system with stickers and so on. That little change did wonders for me when I first got the TrackIR plus the TrackClip Pro (after fooling around for half an hour, regretting my purchase, I found this option and since then TrackIR rocks! :) )

Guest Stoopy

I bet you're right. I have the 'regular' TrackIR (the inverted tripod thingie-deal that clips to the brim of a visor or baseball cap) and it's worked great out of the box, no limitations on movement other than stopping when my nose is almost sideways to the monitor and the eyepoint in the sim is looking almost straight back. Haven't even taken any time in the last year to play with the customization options.I've found that positioning of the receiver on top of the monitor is important as well as eradicating strong background ambient lights (if my family turns on the very broght chandelier in the dining room across the hall, my view goes out the window).

Guest SkullxBones

I made sure Clip Pro was selected in profiles. I tried Charvel's profile, no luck. Then reinstalled the software, still limited movement in the X axis.Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing can you try this test and let me know the results.Start FSX, choose the C172. Go to Virtual cockpit, center your TrackIR. Now keep looking straight ahead, don't look to the side. Now slide your head to the right, while still looking straight ahead. Can you slide all the way to the right window or does it stop at the radio stack like mine does?

Guest SkullxBones

Well that's good to hear. Tech support made it sound like no one else had sideways limitations. I'll try asking them again and see if they come up with something.

Made the test and same result, it doesn't go all the way to the right side. Stops in front of the radio.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest jshyluk

My guess is that it's a limitation in the camera angle for FSX, with some limitation to TrackIR thrown in as well. The cockpits in FSX are more limited for TrackIR movement than those on FS9, for sure. I suspect that the viewpoints are set that way to prevent overlapping views in multiplayer, or some such, although I don't see what the problem would be. Generally, if I want to see another part of the cockpit, I will just change to that camera view, rather than twist my neck oput of joint with the TrackIR.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Stoopy

Let me see if I have this right...you're talking about shifting your head sideways while looking forward and keeping your head level (not tilted to the right)...kind if like how a pigeon moves it's head back and forth, except you're going to the side.....right? While staying firmly planted in the pilot's seat.And the issue is you can't get your right ear all the way over to to the other side of th cockpit to touch the inside of the window on the passenger side? Man I haven't been that limber since I was a teenager and my girlfriend and I had a heavy date in a borrowed Datsun 240SX!!!

Guest SkullxBones

It's not just an exercise in limberness. In the real world you can read gauges easier and reach across the cockpit and adjust knobs a lot easier than you can in the virtual world.In some of the more complex aircraft it gets very hard to press knobs or read gauges in the co-pilots panel with limited lateral movement. Same with the overhead and center console.