Sign in to follow this  
BoeingGuy

Butter smooth

Guest Spirit Flyer

Hello, My name is Spirit Flyer and I am a flight simaholic! It has been almost a year since I (thought I) broke the addiction of MS Flight Simulation. I had maxed out fs2004 with nearly every conceivable add-on and modification possible. It seems, looking back, that most of my spare time was spent tweeking and modifying my tweeks and modifications. Flying itself was no longer fun. I knew that FSX was a dog so I completely ignored all of the noise coming from its a really excited user, and eventually even stopped reading all the FSX complaint threads. One day I had a technical problem that threatened to scramble much of my work, so I simply deleted the entire ms9 program along with every register record of the same with it's thousands of addons and adjustments. I threw out my fs CD's and walked away. Since I am not a kid, I was thankful that I had the maturity and discipline to do that. I vowed that I would never "play" thousands of hours with a computer again!Well, last week I had a new machine build utilizing Vista 64 bit, an Intel Duo Core (E6750), 4 Gigs of ram, and a Nvidea GeForce 8800GT 512, amongst a few other select choice goodies. Within an hour of setting it up at home, my mouth ran dry, my breath begun to shorten and I began to sweat with my mind racing. I lost control. Within a few hours I found myself immersed in a new FSX deluxe program (SP1 and SP2), absolutely stunned with the beauty and butter smooth flights (locked at 21FPS, most settings far to the right). I now have a big box of DVD's from Flight 1 on the way here and have already downloaded GEX and their new landclass.So, anyway, I have nothing to complain about yet, and no soap box to preach from. With this equipment, MS10 seems to operate as a dream flight machine. It is so far above the most enhanced fs2004, that it's hard to realize that it is just a one generation jump. It is a sweet joy to fly again, so much so that I can hardly leave the cockpit to sleep. For those that say that there is no point to even try to enjoy the new simulator, all I say is "Yes we can!" Like I said, my name is Spirit Flyer and I am a flight simaholic, and I'm back.Spirit Flyer

Yep fully agree! FSX on decent hardware (multicore, 4GB, 8800) is great !BTW if you are looking for amazing scenery have a look at the upcoming Full Terrain X (FTX) over at http://fullterrain.com/ :-jumpy

Matthew S

Welcome back! Yes there's something addictive about FSX, frustrating as it can be sometimes. Still, it delivers some great visuals and now that addon packages are starting to flow it's getting even better. Everybody forgets that we went through endless tweaking and a fair amount of CTDs with FS9, so what's the difference?I call these flightsim programs 'Tweak and Fly'Lee:-)

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

>Hello, >>My name is Spirit Flyer and I am a flight simaholic! It has>been almost a year since I (thought I) broke the addiction of>MS Flight Simulation. I had maxed out fs2004 with nearly every>conceivable add-on and modification possible. It seems,>looking back, that most of my spare time was spent tweeking>and modifying my tweeks and modifications. Flying itself was>no longer fun. I knew that FSX was a dog so I completely>ignored all of the noise coming from its a really excited user, and>eventually even stopped reading all the FSX complaint>threads.>> One day I had a technical problem that threatened to scramble>much of my work, so I simply deleted the entire ms9 program>along with every register record of the same with it's>thousands of addons and adjustments. I threw out my fs CD's>and walked away. Since I am not a kid, I was thankful that I>had the maturity and discipline to do that. I vowed that I>would never "play" thousands of hours with a computer again!>>Well, last week I had a new machine build utilizing Vista 64>bit, an Intel Duo Core (E6750), 4 Gigs of ram, and a Nvidea>GeForce 8800GT 512, amongst a few other select choice goodies.>Within an hour of setting it up at home, my mouth ran dry, my>breath begun to shorten and I began to sweat with my mind>racing. I lost control. Within a few hours I found myself>immersed in a new FSX deluxe program (SP1 and SP2), absolutely>stunned with the beauty and butter smooth flights (locked at>21FPS, most settings far to the right). I now have a big box>of DVD's from Flight 1 on the way here and have already>downloaded GEX and their new landclass.>>So, anyway, I have nothing to complain about yet, and no soap>box to preach from. With this equipment, MS10 seems to operate>as a dream flight machine. It is so far above the most>enhanced fs2004, that it's hard to realize that it is just a>one generation jump. It is a sweet joy to fly again, so much>so that I can hardly leave the cockpit to sleep. For those>that say that there is no point to even try to enjoy the new>simulator, all I say is "Yes we can!" >>Like I said, my name is Spirit Flyer and I am a flight>simaholic, and I'm back.Spirit Flyer, if your new computer runs FSX so well, just imagine how it would run FS9 ;-) I use both.Best regards from KMIAKerke

Hello Spirit Flyer,Welcome back! :-beerchugI agree with how wonderful FSX is. I get 40+ FPS on my rig, which enables me to fly around the big airports and cities, something I could not do on my old computer. I was always let down when I wanted to try a flight from major airports, and found out my old rig could not handle it. Now, I can do this with no problem, it makes me feel so happy!BoeingGuy

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest fsxmissionguy

BoeingGuy,So ... what you should do then is push your Scenery Complexity slider all the way to the right. Get in the Extra, and go to Edwards AFB.Take a look around.You'll be amazed. (Pretty good frame rates too if you leave autogen on a Normal setting.)Cheers,Kevin

Will do! :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184925.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184926.jpgTraffic: Airliners at 70%, GA at 40%, all water vehicles and cars at 40%.I just LOVE light bloom! But it is a huge perf hit. I guess it's there for aesthetics :D

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD