Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

All this needs is FSX (FS9)..what a sim!

Guest fsxmissionguy

dual nVidia 5200s?P4's with half a gig of RAM?FSX would bring that thing to its kneeeeeeeees.Heh.

>dual nVidia 5200s?>P4's with half a gig of RAM?>>FSX would bring that thing to its kneeeeeeeees.>>Heh.Heh? Well, ease up on the criticism there, missionguy. The system has NOTHING TO DO with running FSX, nor FS9 for that matter.He built a "home cockpit". The ONLY thing the P4's, half a gig of RAM, and the GeForce cards are INTENDED to do is run the COCKPIT. The MFD's, EICAS, MCP, etc displays. And his "hardware" will do that quite easily.He would need another computer system to run FSX display graphics on a projection system (or whatever he wanted to use), but the above cockpit system was NOT designed for that. So give the guy a break, eh?

Rick Ryan

>For $100 g's I think I'd rather own the real thing-lots>available for under that price.>>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/He didn't actually spend $100,000. Watch the video again. He commented that the "man-hours" involved in building it were "worth" about $100K. That's not unreasonable, considering the guys he's associated with are probably earning six-figure salaries in their real jobs. If there were 4 guys building it, they could easily have $100K worth of "man-hours" if they all are salaried at $100K+ a year. If all 4 of them were unemployed and did it in their spare time, it would have "cost" them $0.00 from a "man-hours" perspective.

Rick Ryan

I think the 100 grand was for man-hrs. So Geofa, you could "do-it-yourself" for a whole lot "less". Who's up for a road trip to Arizona? We can go to KMZJ... drag back a 747 or Beech Starship...Rob O.

Yeah...I helped a guy once swap out an engine on a C172 (I couldn't just sit and "supervise"). I think for him was more cause he wanted to know his plane better (not so much trying to save money). Most owners I knew wouldn't mess with the maintenance (or atleast confess to it) for the reason you said (no real savings). Btw, it amazes me how limited owners are in doing their own maintenance.Rob O.

I have a flying partner that is respected and feared by every mechanic on the field-he catches them on every repair (I love it!) but I agree-tools and continual practice of the mechanics certainly saves money in the long run. I did learn a lot at that annual-but for me that one time was enough! :-lolOn the other hand-my partner catches at least 4-5 mistakes at every annual....http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Kudos to him... Seriously... That is so excellent to hear. It's exactly the way to be!I worked in the Purdue Univ. shop for a summer then went to work after graduation in at a "small" shop. Man, I was appalled at the difference between the two. I got into a "war" once with my supervisor because I flat out refused to do an annual inspection (just to have my work signed off by an I.A. later