Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

VC - no rain - big disappointment...

Guest SanH

I just did a flight in the default B737 and even though it was raining heavily i could barely see it in the VC. I guess this is because you dont see rain effects on the windscreen . If i switch to 2D cockpit the rain drops on the windscreen are shown clearly and look good. I think its a big shame they left out rain effects on the windscreen on the VC. I look at some of the stuff they did in SP2 such as "DX10 preview" and think that was better saved for FS11 since it adds very little to the sim. It would have been better adding rain effects to the VC. Its a real immersion killer and the difference between rain and non-rain weather effects in FSX is very marginal. :(Shame i dont like or fly 2D cockpits!

Microsoft (Aces) have also released the FS9 textures for use in FSX as well...at least I believe I remember seeing the download available within the past couple months. They also linked to the Flight1 files as well. I may have seen this on Taylor's site...not sure.

>There's a freeware fix for that by FlightOne Software.>>http://www.flight1.com/>>Lots written on this forum on that subject.Lee, that "Flight1 fix" doesn't ADD any vc rain effect, it simply eliminates the issue of FS9 portovers having opaque windshields during rainy flights...Note also that the default models in FSX don't have -and can NEVER have- the vc rain effect added to them.The entire mechanism for VC Rain in FS9 was based on "chained animations," whereby a series of bitmaps were sequentially displayed in a continuous loop, thereby providing the illusion of movement of "drops" along the windshield.This technique required several copies of the 3d mesh for the windows, one set of which had no-effect and the other set had moving-effect texture sets applied.The changes ACES made to the rendering engine to offload as much as possible to the GPU from the CPU required them to eliminate this feature for new models. The core engine's code to support older models was left in place however...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest SanH

ah, as i was reading the posts i became happier and happier, to the point of pulling a sickie here at work and going home to see those VC rain effects! My hopes have been dashed with the above post. Oh well. :(Shame i live in england where its always raining. Its a constant reminder of this missing effect.

Oh c'mon San... just pretend the rain fall rates changes (which of course, they do for real)... and they just "happen" to coincide when you change views.And then click on this while ur flying:

Rob O.

I agree a disappointment... Surely FS11 will have it! In fact I don't see why they could not also add "foggy" windows in FS11. Then you would have a reason to turn on the window heat. Surely it can't be too hard with shaders and dx10!Also, not sure if it's in the current Simconnect SDK, but some way to detect that if rain is falling and also if wipers are on. Then 3rd parties (eg FDC) could add nice sound effects for wipers and rain.

Matthew S