Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Acceleration: Autopilot on meth

Seehttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=433593&page=I did reply to this before.So lets consider what the sim engine does with time.during time increment x, the sim calculates the 6DOF equations using the input variables for the step x. for time/distance and force, these are multiplied together. ft/lbs if you will when considering velocity and not acceleration. since you are "in flight" acceleration in general is constant so I will stick to that.compressing time makes the step size larger and makes the value of the input variables accumulate, eg grow, in size.Lets do some math to illustrate:at 1x, we move 100 units and have a 10 force, so thats 1000 units/force ( 1000 ft/lb if you will )at 4x, we move 400 units and have a 40 force, so thats 16,000 units/forceat 8x, we move 800 units and have an 80 force, so thats 64,000 units/forceat 16x we move 1600 units, and have a 160 unit force, so thats 256,000 units/forceso the sim engine is getting 256k times the input variability for a given step of the sim engine at 16x.yes, its an overly simplistic illustration but it does give you some idea of what happens when you change the sim rate. that is why we disable the AI above 4x, the simpler AI calcs we do cannot cope with that variability.and yes, that might have something to do with the problem...

Sorry, I was inaccurate there. The 256k should only be 256. 1k*256=256k. My bad. Dont know why I got the extra k in there. :-).