Sign in to follow this  
bkircher

Aircraft Radius editor that works for FSX

Hey thereAs the title says. Does anyone know of one that will work for fsx?Having some issues with my aircraft not getting to the correct gate when i request taxi to the gate

Aircraft model radius is set differently in the new model format. Using a hex-editor to modify the radius manually has thus far failed more often than it has succeeded.The radius is now specified as a floating-point value, and requires four bytes to be changed.If the model is pre-FEX, then the AFCAD "Aircraft Editor" may be used to (re)set the radius as before.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

ok thanks for the infohow would i then set up the afcad program to make it see my aircraft in fsx? i currently do not have fs9 installed on my hd.lets say that im using the posky crj 900 with the user codes in the cfg, i request taxi to gate. everything looks fine and works, but then i have another crj, same size of plane, and it also has the codes in the aircraft cfg and i continue to request taxi to gate, and it doesnt work. What should i do? And yes the afcads are set up rightthanks again for the help!

>Aircraft model radius is set differently in the new model>format. Using a hex-editor to modify the radius manually has>thus far failed more often than it has succeeded.>>The radius is now specified as a floating-point value, and>requires four bytes to be changed.>>If the model is pre-FEX, then the AFCAD "Aircraft Editor" may>be used to (re)set the radius as before. Bill, does FSX 'ATC' still use the wingspan data from the '.air' file for determining parking space size required or does it now use the 'wingspan' data in the aircraft.cfg file? I was under the impression it was the latter. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

From my experience and from what i have read its the latter. I had to change the setting in some woai files to stop larger planes going to smaller parking areas. It works fine .

Yes - FSX uses the aircraft.cfg wing_span= value under the airplane geometry section.No longer do we have to edit model radiuses.A couple points - the aircraft.cfg entry must be in FEET.It is halved and rounded up to the next whole meter to determine the minimum praking spot size for the aircraft.Values for major commercial aircraft:http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/Flig...gSpanValues.htm

>Yes - FSX uses the aircraft.cfg wing_span= value under the>airplane geometry section.>>No longer do we have to edit model radiuses.>>A couple points - the aircraft.cfg entry must be in FEET.>>It is halved and rounded up to the next whole meter to>determine the minimum praking spot size for the aircraft.>>Values for major commercial aircraft:>>http://www.flightsim2004-fanatics.com/Flig...gSpanValues.htm> Thanks for those clarifications, Reggie. My WinXP calculator an '.3048' have been used alot lately :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

wow great postim still confused. right now my crj 700 wing span is at 76.3, what would i need to change inorder to make it get assigned to the right parking spot? the gate radius? which all seem to be fine at phx which im using right now, 4 gates with gates larger than 76. gate, code=dalx

>ok thanks for the info>>how would i then set up the afcad program to make it see my>aircraft in fsx? i currently do not have fs9 installed on my>hd.Well, you can't use it then.I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but even the default CRJ700 has the following in its aircraft.cfg file, and it certainly has no problems at the gate!wing_span = 76.25 I don't think changing that to a smaller number will help. The sim will calculate that to use a 12m gate "SMALL..."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If the CRJ700 has a wingspan of 76.3 ft then simply divide by 2.That equals 38.15 ft and now convert to Meters and roundup38.15 ft = 11.6281 Meters rounded up to 12M. (see Bills post above)The minimum size parking spot for a CRJ700 to park is 12M but that is not what is desired by many of us that upload enhanced airports. We look at the Commuter world as a group and set parking spot radius to encompasses all Commuters including large Dash 8's. Reggie has done a lot of work on building a parking matrix as a standard which is similar to the old PAI parking standard but many refuse to use it or understand it. FS gives us many options to work with if AI Plane developers and Airport designers would work toward a common goal. In FS9 the model radius was the deciding factor and many AI Plane developers did not pay any attention to the wingspan value. Many FS9 AI Planes to this day have the wrong wingspan foot value which is what FSX works with. You must go through all the AI Planes and check the wingspan foot value to see if it is correct before applying a parking Spot Meter size if you want your planes to park properly (amoung other varibles).One of the other aircraft.cfg entries is Empty Weight (EW) that is not set correctly on many AI Planes. AI Developers used what they wanted in order to get what they think is a better set of flying characteristics. This in turn destroys the Active runway scoring system used by FS9/FSX and being able to restrict runway usage based on EW vs runway length.Many of my enhanced uploaded airports are only as good as the correct wingspan, Reggie's parking matrix and correct Empty Weight of a AI Plane as published byhttp://www.airliners.net/info/I can only guarantee the right plane will park in the correct spot using the correct non-restricted/restricted active runway score system based on what is in each User's AI Aircraft.cfg folder.If you are flying the airplane (non AI) than that is another set of rules/trickery on how you can get Ground ATC to assign a correct parking spot based on your Airline that you are flying and the cooresponding correct parking spot.

thanks jimyes i am flying a non ai plane, and all of my other flyable aircraft work. my wingspan is set to 76.3, afcads gate sizes small radius of 49, code set to dalx. it wont worki guess i will have to ask hiroshi about it

Only if (and that is a big "IF") the Flightplans are made with the default TDBB compiler does FS have a responsibility to park the User plane in the proper spot.Most FP's is use since FS2002 are compiled with TTools which throws out all the forced code for parking rules. This is not a bad thing because the FS TDBB FP compiler can never duplicate a real world set of FP's like TTools can do.Reggie has a work around for the User Plane that will force the rule into affect so your CRJ700 will park as per ATC in the correct spot. Give him a few days to see this thread and I am sure he will post the work around for your plane.Many of us use his rule but it differs somewhat for each type size airplane (wingspan). I use the rule but also add a forced "Go To Jetway" if open and available. Many Commuters park at satellite Stands/Ramps but we also can force both the AI Plane and User Plane up to a proper Airline Terminal Gate that has a Jetway in FSX.

okif he doesnt see it does anyone have a email or im address for him.also do u think that it takes any values from the .air file?

trying to keep this post active so reggie will see it.looking for his work around of the parking values