Sign in to follow this  
fbass

FSX "Failed to Read file"-Help please

In the last couple of days FSX, on dedicated Hard drive (500Gig) has begun to fail to complete loading of flights and reporting "Failed to Read file".I ran the check disk for errors programme and it resolved the problem. However it has subsequently done it 2 more times in the last 24hours.In that time I have only installed GEX EnHance, UTX Europe & FSG US Landclass( between UTX Urban & Vegetation as recommended on this forum)I had also run Ult defrag a couple of times after installing the 3 new programmes, and one time Defrag reported I had corrupt files and aborted.Could that have something to do with it?How can i find out what files(s) are causing the problem without reloading nearly 200gig of FSX stuff?If it helps I run:Vista 32Home Prem onAMD Athlon 64 FX-62 dual Core2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 Gig each GPU)(Quad SLI)2GB MemoryAny suggestions gratefully received as i cannot continue to "fix & refix".It seems I can run FSX after the fix, but it affects the files after i have finished and return to FSX later or nextday.. after use. Any assistance gratefully received.jjaycee1

Well first of all you can do a repair of FSX and see if that takes care of it. If your addons are what is corrupt you would need to narrow it down to the exact addon and reinstall it to correct the problem (and it appears you have alot might be very time consuming).If I were you, I would be looking for and running a hard drive diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your drive (at a minimum). If your drive is on its way out, the problem is only going to get worse.

If this error box displays during the FSX load process and is a small box with just the "fail to read" statement, I would look in your xml.exe and dll.xml files(usersnameapplication datamicrosoftfsx). These files control automatic program loads of software that works in conjunction with FSX. You can look and edit them using Notepad.For some reason, this file is easily corrupted by 3rd-party installers, weird user actions, and other gremlins. Check to make sure there is a complete set of parameter controls for each program that is being loaded. Here's an example: Addon ManagerFalseFalsebglmanx.dllNotice the pair of parameters and . Each program must have this pair of start and terminate statements.Also, if you expect a program to load automatically, the False statement must be "false." If "true," then the program will not load automatically.This is where I would start. I find that if I terminate something before FSX completes the load, the little error box will display and FSX crashes to the desktop.Frank

>If this error box displays during the FSX load process and is>a small box with just the "fail to read" statement, I would>look in your xml.exe and dll.xml files>(usersnameapplication datamicrosoftfsx). These files>control automatic program loads of software that works in>conjunction with FSX. You can look and edit them using>Notepad.>>For some reason, this file is easily corrupted by 3rd-party>installers, weird user actions, and other gremlins. Check to>make sure there is a complete set of parameter controls for>each program that is being loaded. Here's an example:>> > Addon Manager> False> False> bglmanx.dll> >>Notice the pair of parameters and>. Each program must have this pair of start>and terminate statements.>>Also, if you expect a program to load automatically, the>False statement must be "false." If>"true," then the program will not load automatically.>>This is where I would start. I find that if I terminate>something before FSX completes the load, the little error box>will display and FSX crashes to the desktop.>>FrankJust to add to that, some adons add an entry to the dll.xml file that just appends to the last character of the file without going to a new line. That sometimes causes problems.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I cannot locate xml.exe despite a search of HD. The dll file looks like this:- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?> - Launchdll.xmlFalseFalse - FSDiscover!FalseFalseD:FSDiscoverFSX.dll- Object Placement ToolFalseFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dll- Traffic ToolboxFalseFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitTraffic Toolbox SDKtraffictoolbox.dll- Visual Effects ToolTrueFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitSpecial Effects SDKvisualfxtool.dll- FSUIPC 4FalseModulesFSUIPC4.dll- Addon ManagerFalsebglmanx.dllI am not sure what I am looking at there but I dont use TrafficToolBox,nor do I play with SDK or Addon Manager. I was expecting to see the add0ons that I DO use to be on this file.Do you see any corrupt entry on the above?You are correct that it is only the small message box that appears with the Fail to Read etc. Would this be corrected by running FSX repair and if so what magnitude of re-install are we looking at regarding addons afterwards?Thanks

Guest UlfB

Hi,Did you install FSX SDK on the same drive as FSX? Check that all paths to the SDK dll files are correct.An example. The SDK Object Placement Tool has this path in your dll.xml:..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dll I'v got FSX installed on a separate drive, but FSX SDK installed in the default path, so I've changed the path:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dllMaybe you need to change all paths to the SDK dlls in your xml.dll file.Ulf B

I get this error too. It started about a month ago. I haven't been able to fix it so far.It happens occasionally.. Soo I am living with it. I too thought it was HD failure of sorts. Now, I need to look at this XML stuff.Is there an XML editor that could be used to check the format of these XML files?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Look at your load pairs. You have an incorrect statement starting each pair - There is no "-" dash in the statement. Delete the dash and the space and put these entries on the left margin.- <====================this is the starting entryFSDiscover!FalseFalseD:FSDiscoverFSX.dll <====================this is the termination entryNOTE: The above launch section opens FSDiscoverFSX during the main FSX program load.ALSO:- Addon ManagerFalsebglmanx.dllNotice this last entry. This is the addon manager some developers such as Cloud9 are using to add scenery packages to FSX. Make sure this is the current version of this manager. Go to the Cloud9 site and download the latest version. The "bglmanx.dll" file can cause all sorts of problems if you are using either an old version or a corrupted one. Uninstall the Addon Manager and replace it with the very latest version.One more issue - make sure all the paths listed in these two files point the program towards the correct location. For example:D:FSDiscoverFSX.dll - Make sure FSDiscoverFSX is on disk drive "D:"Someone asked if FSX repair would fix this - I don't think so unless the repair action placed a default file in the folder. If you're going to do a repair - MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP BOTH OF THE ASSOCIATED FILES so you know what addon programs you need to place back into the files.Someone also asked about editing these files - I indicated you could open both of the associate files using Notepad.fb