Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

No wings outside when in VC?

Guest kch42

In some planes, like the stock Learjet, when using the VC and looking outside, the wings are invisible. I can see the nav lights at the end of where the wings should be, but no wings. Kind of ruins the immersion. Happens on some of the other planes, but not all. Is there a fix for this?Running FSX Deluxe w/AccelerationVista HP x64 no DX10 preview.

Guest fsxmissionguy

The wings are not visible from the VC of the FSX Learjet because when you are sitting in a real Learjet, you cannot see your wings from the captain's or copilot's seat.Have you ever sat in a real Learjet? The wings are very far behind the cockpit. It's not at all like sitting in a Cessna, or a Beech King Air.On a lark, I thought I'd show you what the VC actually looks like, if you could get outside of it. As you can see, the entire plane is not modeled ... just the parts you could see if you were actually sitting in the cockpit. This is done this way because it's more efficient.Cheers,Kevinhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185259.jpg

Actually, I think you can see the wingtips of the Learjet from the virtual cockpit if you move your eyepoint forward and left or right, and you must have made this movement to see the navigation lights. However, this would be an awkward position from which to fly the plane, so why bother to include the wings in the cockpit view?It would be interesting to replay a flight while sitting in the cabin instead of the cockpit, but the default plane's virtual cockpit view doesn't include the cabin, only what can be seen from the pilot's seat. Of course this can be accomplished in a plane where the cabin is intregal with the cockpit, such as the Baron, but it's a little unnerving to see that there is no pilot. We just have to play within the bounds of what has been provided, and the more that is provided requires a more powerful computer.

Art

Guest fsxmissionguy

I imagine it costs a lot of extra mostly useless frames to model the entire cabin. I don't think I've ever gotten into the cabin area. Too ghostly with no pax. Kinda boring back there unless you are like, really, really into spoiler deployment.In some cases, it makes sense. For example, in the EH101, where you can actually do something in the rear part of the plane (operate the winch). But for the most part, 99% of players never leave the cockpit (excepting external view) I would imagine.

Guest DreamFleet

I just loaded the Lear, no wing views from the cockpit; sounds good to me. I mean are you going to fly with your head twisted around and pressed to the side windshield?I guess if you want wing views you go sit in the cabin, right?Of course, the Lear's VC does not have a cabin or wing views, and the reason is that that the pilot does not really see the wings from the cockpit.As to seeing "Nav Lights", most FS effects are so over done as to not be funny.I have yet to see Nav Lights from the cockpit in any real plane I have flown, because:A. We do not use them in day time. They are for night use. If we turn them on during the day, we will not see them.B. Even at night they are not visible, except for where we have "indicators" at the wings tips that show them, and then you have to look carefully to see them.Of course, I am talking real world, not FS, where the external lighting effects are not real world.During daytime (FSX Lear) from the outside view I noticed that the strobes were casting reflections on the fuselage- you got to be kidding me!Seriously, don't worry about it. In planes like the Lear the pilots are not looking at the wings, and they would need to make quite an effort to see them any how.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest fsxmissionguy

" ...In planes like the Lear the pilots are not looking at the wings."Yea, if a pilot is flying, he can safely assume that the wings are still connected. If they should somehow become disconnected, your ability to see them from the cockpit is going to be fairly incidental to your other immediate concerns I would suppose.

>As to seeing "Nav Lights", most FS effects are so over done as to not be funny.

Art

>> It would be interesting to replay a flight while sitting in the cabin instead of the cockpitShhhh...if you're a super serious sim flyer heavy into the pilot role playing experience, or better yet, a real pilot holding your nose while using the sim, one must not use replay to analyze the flight from any position other than the captain's chair. Indeed, one should not use replay at all, because replay doesn't happen in real life! Any other replay angles are, of course, not proper except for external view. Why external view is the exception while other view angles are not, I'm not sure, but that's just the rule. The sim must be used in a few select ways, and that's it...no questions. As a result, there is simply no need for extended virtual cabin modeling including wings, even if it could be optionally turned on or off. Such modeling would be a waste of time rather than value added and never mind those modelers that get the tradeoffs correct (because they're wasting resources you see).

>>LOL>>>--Ah ha, you are here at avsim. ;)I just don't pay attention enough...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest fsxmissionguy

" ... It would be interesting to replay a flight while sitting in the cabin instead of the cockpit."Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think it would hold much attention for very long after the initial "hey, that's neat" moment.It would be about as interesting to me as boarding a real world flight as a passenger. What's next ... 30 minutes of TSA grilling before your flight will load, and having to sit next to a stinky seatmate?Gak

>" ... It would be interesting to replay a flight while>sitting in the cabin instead of the cockpit.">>Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think it would hold much>attention for very long after the initial "hey, that's neat">moment.>>It would be about as interesting to me as boarding a real>world flight as a passenger. What's next ... 30 minutes of TSA>grilling before your flight will load, and having to sit next>to a stinky seatmate?>>GakOkay, I did it, and you don't know what you are missing. First class is a must in order to be served champagne and caviar. :)ArtNow flying with: Biostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium

Art

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dude,One time I was travelling from Singapore to Tokyo on Singapore Airlines, and I got in-flight upgraded from Business to First Class.Hard to believe the luxury. About 2 minutes into the flight, I smelled smoke, and had a brief moment of panic, until I realized that the guy right behind me had just lit up a cigarette.Now, remember, this happened just a few years ago. At that time, smoking had been banned on every other flight I had ever been on (and trust me, I fly a LOT). But, as a smoker myself, I was quite thrilled to learn from the flight attendant that smoking was permissible on Singapore Airlines.Best airline I ever flew. (Best looking flight attendants on the planet, also).

Guest jshyluk

If you are missing the wings in the Lear VC, then you probably shouldn't look at the back of the cockpit. Or put another way, no matter how badly you handle the Lear in FSX, you'll never see or hear your passengers complain.From what I know, in FSX different aircraft models were sub-contracted out to different visual studios. I would imagine that although the basic plan was to keep all of the aircraft within certain tolerances, the several art directors in charge of each project probably had differing ideas as to what would be important to keep and what could get chopped out of the visual model. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM