Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Mitch, please check this for me...

Hi Mitch,I see you're having a ball :)Can I distract you for a moment to look at something for me, please.(Anyone else, please feel free to join in!)I know you have a X1950 Pro (or did you change it? I don't recall).Could you take off from ULL (Glenforsa) on the Island of Mull in Scotland and slowly climb eastwards along the coast of Mull with the stretch of water called the Sound of Mull on your left. The Scottish mainland is on the far side of the Sound.Do you see any flashing white sky texture blocks to the right of your screen? If I change direction it goes away. I don't see this anywhere else, or at least not so far. Also I don't see this in any other games so I'm wondering if it's caused by some scenery element. I have Scotflight installed and am currently checking compatibility issues with UTX-Europe.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185263.jpgI too have GEX and can relate to your obvious enthusiasm for this class product. It really has transformed the sim into a wonderful experience :)Cheers!MikeASRock 939Dual-SATA2, AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo), 2GB Crucial PC3200 DDR400 Ram 3-3-3-8 (2T)(Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.10 WHQL), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL), Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c

Hello Mike,I'll print this post and then take the flight and report back to you today. Yes, I still have my ATI 1950 Pro 256 Meg card.Mitch

Mike, I am presently flying FSX and on pause. I took off from ULL and climbed out to the East as directed, and went to 5,000 ft. I saw no abnormalities with the sky-view.BTW, pretty rugged scenery, very nice...will now go back to FSX and ULL and fly around some. Again, nothing untoward to report in the sky in all directions.Mitch

Hi Mitch,Thanks for that. Must be something to do with Scotflight. I've reported it to the author - the very talented Iain Gallacher.The Island of Mull is a wonderful place to visit and sees my wife and I there for a holiday most years, often twice a year. The west coast scenery is outstandingly beautiful and we rent a cottage (self catering) on the Ross of Mull. Most of the roads are single track with passing places, the air is clean and the atmosphere is so calm and peaceful. It's our Shangri-la :)Cheers!MikeP.S. Did you have any clouds? My settings were midday, summer and fair weather (with a few cumulus and high cirrus).

Hi Mike,Did you have any clouds? My settings were midday, summer and fair weather (with a few cumulus and high cirrus).---------------------------------------I had about what you had displaying. So, as you suspect, it most likely is not a glitch in FSX. I tried UTX-USA today Mike, and found it took away from the great cover that is GEXnhanced as stand-alone. I requested a refund from Flight1 as that is their 'within 30 day purchase guarantee'. It will be a most pleasant buying experience if that comes without delay. Flight1 has a good customer reputation, and I see no impending problems regarding my request for a prompt refund. :) UTX-USA is a good program, but just not to my personal usage or taste. No negative connotations for the add on by my asking for said refund.Cheers!Mitch

Hi Mitch,"UTX-USA is a good program, but just not to my personal usage or taste."That's the beauty of our favourite sim series - the ability to customize it to the way we like it.I've never requested a refund :) but I'm sure you won't encounter any problems. They really are one of the best in my experience.Are you sure you haven't been a little too hasty? Remember your FSX experience?!Regards,Mike

Are you sure you haven't been a little too hasty? Remember your FSX experience?!---------------------------------------------Hi Mike,I actually gave it quite a test. In the final mix, what I found was that the textures when used with GEXnhanced's ground environment textures, was scenery overkill. GEX does such a bang-up job, that the rest that UTX adds for me personally---is superfluous. GEX is that good! It has it all for a believable view scape. I'm not saying that UTX is anything inferior, but just more scenery elements than I really need to suspend disbelief.There were a few things that didn't seem right though---the added roads actually over-ran airports with roads and traffic crossing runways, taxi ways, etc. The UTX roads when used with GEX, were of the overlay kind that sort of looked like they were taped onto the GEX ground textures. Just things like that.The reason that I requested a refund, is because I only had it for a few hours---not days or months, and it is part of their business model, and so why not use that? I'll use the $34.95 on perhaps another one of their products that truly boosts my sim pleasure such as GEXnhanced has done. Then, money is not wasted in owning a piece of software that I won't be using. I know that this won't be the last purchase from Flight1. They have good products. Just this one didn't add to the mix for me. A wise man, or woman once said..."Take care of the pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves!"BTW, Mike, just interested to know---is Scotland modeled accurately at all in either FS9 or FSX?Cheers!Mitch

Hi Mitch,"BTW, Mike, just interested to know---is Scotland modeled accurately at all in either FS9 or FSX?"Here you go....For FS2004: http://www.visualflight.net/scotflight/home.htmThere are annoying conflicts with Ultimate Terrain Europe when the latter is active in the Scenery library. A patch was never issued and is now unlikely to appear. Not relevant as far as you would be concerned.For FSX: http://www.visualflight.info/products/scot...t-for-fsx-vol-1News about version 1.1: http://www.visualflight.info/products/scot...-fsx-vol-1/newsSadly, once again we are also seeing issues with UTX-Europe - double roads (not everywhere), corrupted shorelines, etc. Both parties are aware of these problems and this time I am confident that solutions will be found, although it won't be easy to ensure that both products are fully active at the same time. In my area south of Edinburgh it's great to see the appearance of all the visual references like rivers and roads accurately portrayed by UTX and I can put up with the issues meantime. Again, if you don't have UTX-Europe this won't be a problem for you.Go on, you now have something really special to spend all those dollars saved recently ;) I'm sure that wise man or woman would turn a blind eye on this occasion..LOL!BTW, if you want to see high resolution detail of parts of Scotland - the central belt - (including my house and garden) and you have a reasonably fast broadband connection (2Mbits is recommended), then consider running Christian Buchner's latest version of TileProxy (BETA 7 Version 2):http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=195231You will have to configure Proxyuser.ini yourself to use the most appropriate mapping service, but I can help you there or you can refer to the Tileproxy forum here at Avsim.Regards,Mike

Thanks Mike! :)Thank you for the above links.-------------------------------------Mike, I was thinking of trying once more--- TileProxy. The reason that I have not jumped onto that, is simply that while TileProxy would most likely give me the closet thing to verbatim below the wing...I just have stumbled onto one of the best dipictions of scenery below oneself--- in GEXnhanced. It just works! I believe what I am seeing at any elevation above the ground textures to be what I see when I fly in real life. It is just that good. Also, I am hunkering down upon getting a new system. Like others, I want to go to the store and read what FSXI will have in features---and will 'compute' my own reasonable expectations as to what hardware configuration will be needed to run the thing PRIME right out of the wrapper. I believe that M.S. had learned quite a bit from FSX. Having said that (or typed that, lol) GEXnanced gives me great service on my Pent4 3.4GHz. This is the first product that looks good below the wing no matter where I choose to fly. Lord...you'd think that I should buy some stock...lol. When I love something with a thumb's up...it's just my nature that others, friends and associates clearly know from where I come from, lol. I'm verbose. When I don't like something, I tend to restrict the finger tips so as to not negatively influence an other's pleasure. I say a short piece from a personal viewpoint and move on.I really enjoy 'enthusiasm' in general. When I read upon AVSIM of another person enjoying 'this or that' software, and then (most importantly) they take the time and effort to give you the low-level details of WHY EXACTLY they like software 'X'...as seen through FS9 or FSX---how is it that the software is giving them that pleasure-of-use...then I read slowly, and enjoy their experience alongside them. If they press a few of my buttons in that post, it most likely would make that software tempting, for myself included. Details gives options. Knowledge is power. That's my personal mantra, Mike! :)So at this time,I'm going to 'mantra' my fingers off this keyboard and (with palms slapping together in a brisk rub!!!) DO SOME FLYING!See you in the Highlands! Look for me with a bagpipe (seriously love 'em) in my hands playing as I do my walk-around the aircraft. Just follow the music...and you'll find where I am parked... :)P.S. I have not been to Scotland yet in real life, but have every intention to at some point of time. I want to visit the Highlands, see some archaeological sites and locations, sit in a good Scottish pub and drain a few with the locals...get my butt kicked at darts, and have one heck of a good time of cheer! Oh...one final thing...Scottish meat pies. Oh yeah...oh yeah... one fresh out of the oven, and a pint of ale. Life is good. Life is good...Cheers!Mitch