Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Are there any moving ships in FSX?

I'm talking about the big ones you see at the harbor in Miami, FLI thought that the box said AI ship traffic over the Atlantic etc, but I can't find any...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest SHawk

Although somewhat "artificial," because it's setup, fly the Sitka Approach mission. Can't miss (almost literally) the big ship.

Guest fsxmissionguy

I could be wrong, but I believe that the only ships moving on a schedule would be cruise ships, oil tankers, cargo ships and the carriers. Someone more knowledgeable about this than me might shed some better light on this subject, however.

Also keep in mind, if you are using any FS9 traffic bgl's, you won't see any ship traffic in your FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Also keep in mind, if you are using any FS9 traffic bgl's,>you won't see any ship traffic in your FSX.>>RhettThat is true until one runs the FS9 traffic BGL's through one of theconversion utilities. Then they will co-exist just fine with FSXtraffic BGL's. The same author of the Boat Traffic Utility ( Lamont Clark ) in the site mentioned above also produced an easy to use FS9 to FSX BGL conversion utility. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>>Also keep in mind, if you are using any >FS9 traffic bgl's, you won't see any >ship traffic in your FSX.>Sure you will. Load my Kai Tak with all FS9 TTool FP's and look at all the default FSX boat traffic in the harbour. TTool FP's only affect TDBB FSX AI FP's and that is a "IF" "AND" "OR" set of rules where both can coexist if all things are done properly. Ships are based on WaterPlans just like AI planes have Flightplans. You must be at a certain location at a certain time in FSX to see these large ships moving from one place to another which has nothing to do with Missions when in free flight. Many large Ships that park in Seaports are static Ships and do not move. There are many many Leisure boats running around Harbours but only a few large Ships and Ferries in the FSX default waterplan bgl's. If you visit Hong Kong on a certain day and certain time you will see 5 large cargo ships moving toward the harbour entrance at the end of runway 13 Kai Tak.

Go TO VHHX Kai Tak. Set the day to Saturday and local time to 9:05AM. Slew the Cess 172 off runway 13 (heading 134) toward the harbour entrance looking to the right against the shore line.You will see 3 large Cargo ships. AT 9:08AM local time one of them will pushback and make a 180 degree turn. It will then move towrd the center of the harbour entrance into the channel and then make a right turn and continue out to sea.The other 2 Cargo ships will do the same at a later time in the day.

>>>>>Also keep in mind, if you are using any >>FS9 traffic bgl's, you won't see any >>ship traffic in your FSX.>>>>Sure you will. Load my Kai Tak with all FS9 TTool FP's and>look at all the default FSX boat traffic in the harbour. TTool>FP's only affect TDBB FSX AI FP's and that is a "IF" "AND">"OR" set of rules where both can coexist if all things are>done properly. >All I can say is, I have never gotten it to work.Don't you mean, TTools FS9 bgls will only affect FSX *aircraft* flight plan bgls?Surely you converted your boat plans. Didn't you convert them?What sort of things need to be done properly? I want to know what I have done wrong...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

RhettLet me correct one thing or at least make sure we are on the same page.There are 3 default traffic type FSX bgl'strafficAircrafttrafficBoatstrafficCarriersIn FSX there are 4 sliders that control animated planes and water craftAirline TrafficGeneral Aviation TrafficShips and FerriesLeisure BoatsWe know that Airline and GA are in the trafficAircraft bgls and the 2 sliders control what and how many type planes are generated.The same thing happens with the watercraft. trafficBoats are controlled by what and how many Ships, Ferries and Leisure boats are generated. Based on the size bgl for Carriers that could only be Carriers but I am not sure of that. Most User's know that if they mix TTool AI Plane 'FlightPlans' (not aircraft)with the above 3 bgl's something is not going to show or they at least think something will not show. I say the word "something" because it depends on who you ask and what they see.What they see is based on "IF", "AND", "OR" statements and most User's never study AI plane and water traffic with the Traffictoolbox utility.With that said, if I rely on all payware and freeware 3rd party AI plane FP's then all default FSX AI Plane Traffic and the Large AI Ship traffic does disappear. The Leisure boat Traffic does not disappear. Saying disappear is misleading because they can't coexist at the same airport but can coexist at different airports and in the air. That is part of the "IF", "AND", "OR" statements.You can do like Paul says and compile/convert up to FSX and some AI types (Ships) will start to reappear. The one question that is never answered is why can't the TDBB FP and the TTools FP coexist at the same airport and why are some watercraft affected and some are not. The answer is a very simple one and it is the "@" symbol placement in the TTool FP that back times the arrival into the AI Visual Zone by 15 minutes. This simple timing tag as part of a compile process affects what will and what will not show or coexist including Ships (not Leisure Boats).This is not the thread to get into what a "@" or "no @" causes in compiled FP's because it is a very complex rule that comes from FS2002 up to FS9 and now up to FSX. If MSN had not introduced the TNG FP flag we would not have to ever worry about how the "@" or "no @" is one of the main reasons why so many have AI Problems to begin with.I am willing to get into the behavior of AI traffic and how I can have both TTool FP 3rd party planes sharing the same airport as FSX AI Plane TDBB FP's without any type converter program but not here. Those type post need to be part of airport design and AI plane/ship traffic forums. ADE Home and the extented Pro version is moving forward in very complex automation system (with tutorials) that will allow what most say does not work in FS9/FSX.

Hi Folks>trafficBoats are controlled by what and how many Ships, Ferries and Leisure boats are generated. Just to clarify -Leisure boats are not traffic, they are animated autogen.They are not contained in any traffic bgls.HTHATBPaulResized logo pending ;-)http://www.fs-odg.com

>>With that said, if I rely on all payware and freeware 3rd>party AI plane FP's then all default FSX AI Plane Traffic and>the Large AI Ship traffic does disappear. The Leisure boat>Traffic does not disappear. Saying disappear is misleading>because they can't coexist at the same airport but can coexist>at different airports and in the air. That is part of the>"IF", "AND", "OR" statements.>That's more like what I have seen, we are on the same page.>I am willing to get into the behavior of AI traffic and how I>can have both TTool FP 3rd party planes sharing the same>airport as FSX AI Plane TDBB FP's without any type converter>program but not here.Hadn't thought about the @I know where you would go with respect to that issue and have seen it discussed elsewhere in the past.The 'leisure boats' is the category to which I have not experimented--and this appears to be--at least in part--the category you used at Kai Tak? I see now with Paul's post that leisure boats are not traffic insofar as it is defined for say, commercial ferries, tankers, and the like.This is pretty interesting, I am going to re-visit watercraft soon to supplement something I am working on...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett