Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

any FSX issues?

Guest william273

am considering to MAYBE get FSX but wanted to find out a few thingsfirst. are many people having any issues running it in windows xp right outof the box with no addons? i'm running FS9 with all sliders maxed and 1200x1600 res. my computer:athlon 64 6000 2 corenvidia 8600ram 2 gigsHD 80 gig24in widescreentrack irhow would FSX run with no addons just the default aircraft in mysystem? should i stay with FS9? thanks william

William - With over 600 posts I would guess that you are familiar with Google. This question and related answers would probably take you until FSII comes out to finish. And you will be no better off than you are at this very moment.The answers are purely subjective.Without trying to be rude, buy it and find out for yourself.I am happy as a clam and I use GEXm ASX, UTX, FSMap, Acceleration and other add-ons and get excellent results. IMHO, FS9 with all the goodies doesn't even come close to FSX.Others will disagree, of course. I have a high end system but I felt the same when I had a P4 3.4 running XP.Go for it, you won't be sorry but take the time to follow NickN's advice and tune your system.Good luck,VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx 169.13 betaKandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest Alphahawk3

My system is not as strong as yours. P4 3ghz....2gig ram...7600Gt video card....80 gig hard drive. I have FEX...GEX...XGraphics. I could not be happier. I do stay out of large airports but other than that I have great frame rates...no stutters. I would highly recommend GEX Enhanced...as it is now called. That alone will change the way you look at stock FSX. It is a must in my opinion. You will find many posts of people with high end systems talking about FSX being horrible....you will also find many posts from people with much lower systems than yours quite happy. As the guy said, do some searching...on Avsim....and Flight1 forums and you will get lots of simple tips to make your experience much better. Regards, Randy

Guest william273

hi vic,i skimmed the forum briefly but thought i'd get faster results by just posting.the reason i'm asking is i hear of alot people have problems but i know most people probably have quite a few addons too which can lead to some problems.anyway i would just be using it right out of the box with no addons... well maybe night enviroment and that's about it.i was kind of thinking/hoping it might run fine by itself with XP.i would have to get a DVD player installed but don't want to spend the money on one if i'm going to have problems.i've already spent alot on some payware aircraft recently that will not install or run and am a bit on the tired side of trying to get things working. i understand the try it and see idea which i already did with the payware stuff but because of the problems i had i'm a little concerned...just looking for some input before i make a decision.i'm sure it's good... just want it to run... with NO suprises.thanks man, william

Guest william273

thanks randy will do. william

>anyway i would just be using it right out of the box with no>addons... well maybe night enviroment and that's about it.>You will want to install Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2. You will not want to run the base FSX right out of the box. Install the updates.>>i'm sure it's good... just want it to run... with NO>suprises.>If you have a decent enough computer, and a clean set of video drivers going, you should be able to have fun with it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest ziporama

William,I think that FSX works well, although it seems to require more horsepower and more memory than FS9. The greatest impact on FPS I have seen is from AI aircraft and moving jetways at large airports, the combination of the two will bring any system today to its knees. If you stay away from these scenarios, you should be quite happy.Keep in mind that it is only just now that true FSX add-ons are introduced to market (not FS9 products ported over or made to work in FSX) which in my view has also been a source of issues in the last year. There are truly some great add-ons now showing up to take FSX beyond the fine tuned FS9 look. Considering FSX now is a good time to do so as the gems in FS9 are now all working on FSX and taking the sim to the next level.I would recommend you to look at posts on two issues:- memory issues reported on 2Gb systems and XP or Vista 32 bit causing out of memory errors in FSX (I moved to 64 bit Vista for the purpose of running FSX well)- video issues in DX10 mode on Nvidia hardware (DX10 only supported on Vista), not a problem with ATI hardware) (I chose poorly last time I upgraded my video card :) )Regards,Etienne

Guest william273

etienne,thanks alot for the info. william

One more thing WilliamWhat you should do is:1) install base FSX off the DVD2) run the sim once3) download and install Service Pack 14) run the sim once5) download and install Service Pack 26) run the sim, you're doneIf you do those steps, you should have a problem-free software install.Any issues you might have after that, you can narrow down to hardware or OS, or video drivers. But your FSX install itself will be good provided you follow those steps.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

That's pretty much what I have, except I run lower res, 1280x1024 19in LCDFSX will do well in rural areas and small cities. You will run into trouble with addons and larger cities with detailed airports and AI traffic.....should be around 10-15 depending on AI traffic mostly

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

most posts like this have an implicit intent to stir the pot and start flamewars about how bad FSX is.If you after all were really interested in the product you'd just install it and see for yourself...No, there are no real problems with FSX, certainly not after you install SP1 (and maybe SP2, I've not done so yet as I need an SP1 only install for a while longer for some testing).About the only things I can think of are the occasional unpredictable shift in winds aloft (happened in FS8 and 9 as well, though not usually severe enough to instantly overstress an aircraft) and the moving map in the GPS displays sometimes not moving for a while (lagging behind).The latter seems mostly performance related, I rarely encounter it anymore since upgrading my machine a few months ago to something that's below your specs.The former can be simply got rid off by turning off the overstress crash option in the realism settings.

Guest Stoopy

If I may suggest.....1) Generally speaking, post count might be a good general indicator if it's a stir-the-pot approach (I've noticed the same thing but it's usually 'new' members)...in this case I think there's a high probability it's an honest question perhaps?2) Possibly an easier way to suggest the try-it-yourself approach is to suggest the FSX Trial Version (Demo) which is still around....no need to expend any coin and then be possibly dissapointed. Seems to be a safe approach for all concerned?Granted, the demo isn't built to SP2 standards and so isn't exactly the same as FSX+SP1+SP2, but I submit it's the closest thing you can get and is still available, see here:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul.../downloads.htmlAs mentioned above, the 80Gb hard drive may be the limiting factor...FS9 with a lot of addons isn't exactly "slim" and FSX eats up, what...17 to 20Gb by itself I think? You'd be awful tight on room maybe.