Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Should I get FSX on my System?

Guest Charlie_Echo_Hotel

:-lol Hi All.Been around AVSIM along time - Since atleast 2001 but have just registered to post for the first time.I am currently very happy with the way my ancient system runs FS2004. I have read numerous posts with people unhappy with the way FSX runs for them, and I don't want to be one of those people so I thought I would try and get an opinion before I made the plunge.System Specs:AMD Athlon64 3700+Gigabyte K8NSC Sckt9391GB DDR400 RAMXFX GeForce 6600GT APG 8X VideoSB Audigy 2 So what do you think, Will it run it decently? I run FS9 with all settings to the max and still maintain 25-30FPS all the time which I am very happy with.Thanks for any input!

I doubt you would be happy trying to run FSX on that system.FSX needs over 1 GB to run and the video card prefers 512 MB or it will be using systems memory and resources for video as well..Stick with FS9 until you get a new computer... sorry :-)

Bert

I am running FSX and some FSX-related add-ons on a Pent4 3.4 GHz and 3 gigs of memory, and an ATI 256 meg X1950Pro vid card.My system does not scream along with FSX as it does with FS9, but...it is flyable (of course this is subjective). Each program has its own merit. I switch back and forth freely at will. I will not be unloading FS9 as I truly don't think it is in the least outdated, or that FSX has 'replaced' it.If you have the hard-drive space, and can get a copy at a reduced price from the MSRP, then what-the-heck, try it and tweak until it runs. If not---hopefully FS11 will come to the table, already mature.Cheers!Mitch

I run hot and cold on my relationship with FSX. This week it is cold, as I seem to be suffering low FPS (ie. < 15) in medium complex scenarios and worse in high complex to the point where it is unplayable IMO (6 FPS). It was working much better a month ago before I moved back to Australia, so there is something that I need to track down, but it seems I spend more time tweaking and fixing of late than flying. FS9 has been like a rock through all this, so it is currently my prime sim.I'll tell you one thing though, the shifting wind issue in FSX is really getting on my goat. If the FS11 demo and subsquent release doesn't show a marked improvement in, and hopefully complete resolution of, this issue, then I'll pass on that one as well and I'll be getting another three years use out of FS9!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I've recently moved my life to a new laptop so the desktop is now exclusively FS ONLY. I reinstalled XP, FS9.1 and FSX with only the Program Files applicable to FS installed. I am being very, very discerning now as to which scenery and aircraft addons I put back now. The plan is to not end up bloated.If you maintain a minimal install setup, you will be surprised how good both versions run on a low end system when the system is not clogged up with useless junk.My goal is to get Widefs and offset even more FS apps onto the laptop.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I used to have that same system, the San Diego AMD3700But I had 2Gb of ram.... you will want that extra GB, trust me :)You'll see single digits in large cities with high settings, but high teens in rural areas with high settings.... Why not try the demo?Remember, the final code, and SP1/2 is optimized a little too

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |