Sign in to follow this  
cklink

Anyway to move this "Line" farther away?

This is with FPS locked at 21....and the sim achieves those FPS all the time. Why can't we have the texture load farther away?This line is quite close to my acft as you can seeDoes a better video card solve this problem???http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185504.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest UlfB

Maybe a high end graphics card could help, but it depends on the general load on the card. Looks like your'e making a turn and I guess my GTX8800 wouldn't do much better. Is this a problem? Do you suffer from stutters? Even with your arrows I wouldn't notice it when flying. Is this a real problem when you fly or is this a symptom of some kind of tweaking obsession?Ulf B

Hi Ryan,"Why can't we have the texture load farther away?"LOL - I've been asking that since Nov 06 - and all I have come up with is cranking up your LOD Radius in the config. But the negative with that is your loading lots of stuff you don't need just to push the texture resolution further - thus a costly "manual slider".I don't mind the default 4.5 for flatlands or cities, but I crank it to 6.5 even 7.0 when flying in the mountians. Then at least the banks/peaks on either side of you in a valley are not "pixeled" out. It looks way better - but at a cost of course.Still hoping Phil looks into seeing if the texture reslution radius can be adjusted outside of the LOD parameter, as it seams everything is tied to that one setting.Best Regards'Garett

Guest UlfB

Garett,Do you mean that changing the lod radious really would have any effect on the loading of textures that close to the aircraft? The textures are allmost beneath the aircraft.Ulf B

Yep, as long as it's not a classic "blurries" issue with them not being able to keep up.I find that even at 4.5, the radius of the texture resolution you set (slider) is a very short distance from the A/C. As stated, you don't notice it much on flat ground - but it's very noticable in the mountians.Here's two picks right at CYGE facing SE (in case you wan't to see for yourself), first with 4.5, second at 6.5. I have to drop the quality of the pics for in here - but you should still be able to make out the difference in range.Regards'GarettAT 4.5http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185512.jpgAt 6.5http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185513.jpg

Guest UlfB

Wow,and thanks. I'll give it a test and see if lod radius of 6.5 will have any impact on my perception of flight in FSX.Ulf B

Guest UlfB

I made a test short VFR flight at 2000 feet AGL with LOD_RADIUS set to 6.5 and I must say that I didn't notice any change of my general visual experience of the flight.Ulf B

Guest UlfB

I wonder if my hardware make the flight overall enjoyable or do some people stare at scenery details while flying eagerly trying to discover any errors to tweak away? I'll lower my cpu clock and see if my perception of a flight will change that much.Ulf B :-)Core2Duo X68004GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest UlfB

I decreased my cpu clock frequency from 3.3Ghz to 1.4Ghz. Allright, load times for OS, FSX and flight increased. But I could still maintain the locked fps I had and the flight was still smoth and enjoyable. Maybe I should test to lower the gpu freguency as well? Not today. But I suspect that there are a simmers spending a lot of time tweaking with the fsx scenery sliders set too high. And maybe there are some simmers spending more time seeking visual errors than enjoying a flight. Just my thoughts.Ulf BCore2Duo X68004GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

There has been a discussion this week about this 'hidden' in this topic:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=436102&page=2Just look for my posts: I have the exact same 'problem': it's just how it is...BTW I also changed LOD radius in the cfg, but 1. it seems to reset to default in the cfg everytime, and 2. loading takes longer and I have had lockups with higher settings.

:-xxrotflmaoI think Ryan was looking for a little more input than "You have a tweaking addition, It works for me so just be happy with it" LOL While my suggestion may have not had any benefit for you, it has helped some others (myself included) in enjoying our "perception of flight" while addressing the OP's question, thus I though I'd share.I see it took you a couple of posts to explain your contempt with both the question and the suggestion, but I'm sure you feel alot better now that you got that out.:-rollGarett

BTW I also changed LOD radius in the cfg, but 1. it seems to reset to default in the cfg everytime, (Mine stays as long as I don't make any changes (or load) the settings/graphics sliders within FSX.)and 2. loading takes longer and I have had lockups with higher settings.FSX RTM I could only go to 5.5, more and she'd crash. Left it through SP1 at 5.5, and now with SP2 I've gone as high as 7.5 with out having changed any hardware. And yes, load times are way longer for me as well.There's a bush flyer's forum over at (Simvation I think), where there's a good discussion about those guys tweaking this.Regards'Garett

There may be another way to improve the visuals without increasing the loading of distant scenery, Garett.First, though, a small image of what is going on with the LOD radius:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185514.jpgEach level of ground texture resolution displays in a grid with different size quadrants. Here the LOD radius is set to Small (2.5 quadrants), and setting it to Large (4.5)will load farther out and display each resolution farther out as well. Lower resolution textures continue to be displayed beyond what is shown in this image, of course, with another qmid level for the 9.6 meter per pixel textures, etc.So, it seems clear that all those who think they have "The Blurries" in fact do not.They are simply seeing the normal display of lower resolution textures as distance from the aircraft increases.Display quality can improve with better Anistropic Filtering. (Those who do not know what this is should look it up. Also, higher screen resolution will display more detail, although performance can be affected. And, of course, a better graphics card will always display images that look better than lower end cards.There is a MipBias parameter that can be included in the cfg file - we have discussed it in this forum, and it should work the same as in FS 9. I do not pretend to be an expert on the game, nor have I extensively tested this, but hopefully MipBias will push out the display of higher resolution images without having to extend the loading of scenery through the LOD radius slider.MipBias should be inserted in the DISPLAY.Device.xxx section - values probably range from 1 through 9, and I think that 4 is the default.As usual, shimmering and a certain amount of graininess can result (the grain resembles the Unsharp Mask in image editing tools - too much sharpening looks grainy.)Please let us know how it works if you give it a try.Best regards.Luis

Yes, this surely is the LOD RADIUS I have set, which I think defaults to 4.5Now, a few questions/comments:Can a massively OCed CPU that is using a default setting of 4.5 LOD RADIUS have this line extend out? Or does the LOD RADIUS value define the line no matter what?Maybe it's just me, but this issue is extremely noticeable, and ANNOYING. I'd be satisfied if that line were drawn all the way up that mountain, so within view I can see sharp textures. I will try using 6.5 to see a difference.Also, there is the text band mult setting, which WAS at 40, but I set it lower to 30 (prolly not helping the issue) because my FPS were a little low using UTX Europe (in mountain areas).Also, in my general observations, for my system, I note that locking FPS and flying at speeds greater than 200kts has a better chance of keeping textures crisp, versus unlimited FPS....anyone else getting this? I will do two things differently:1) Reset TextBandMult to 402) LOD RADIUS to 6.53) then still LOCK my FPS, and run unlimited for funAnd then go back to Rio baby!!EDIT: Results, Garett, I love you!!The 6.5 helped....it moved the line right up the mountain, still on this face but you really have to zoom in to notice it. My village textures are now sharp!! I still maintain 21FPS, but I'll go to Europe in the Swiss Alps and see what happensLOD 6.5http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185523.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Luis,Your input now and previous has been really good about showing the differnece between "blurries" due to over taxed harware, and this very topic.I have tried (and do use it @ 6), the mip bias tweak but for me it does not extend the inner resolution ring, however it does help clear it up the outer stuff somewhat (exp: similar to visual impact of more filtering).Running the mipbias @ 6, AF filtering in the FSX drop down, 16X AF & 8X AA by driver w/Nhancer override, 60cm textures and clamping Negbias and jacking the LOD_Radius gives me what I'm looking for.We used to be able to adjust this radius inpedendently (somewhat) in FS9, but in FSX all the following seems to be controlled internally all consolidated by one/two settings?TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=40.000000 --------TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000 ------- = MESH_COMPLEXITYTERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 ------------TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 ----------- = LOD_Radius TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.50000 --------TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.00000 -------TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232 -----------Is not a complaint, but more of an inquiry as too us being able to have an independent control of the ground tile texture resolution radius (maybe in the next version)- seperate from the rest of stuff controlled by LOD_radius then maybe then less of an perf impact as it's not all lumped together (ie: loading bgls from 1/2 way around earth etc). I'd rather have mipped out Autogen 3 miles out sitting on clear ground tiles, than the otherway around as is presently.Just a thought anyways ...Best Regards'GarettPS: Ryan, glad it helped !! Here's what it did for me at Megascnery Hawaii.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185526.jpg