Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Scenery Complexity

Guest kbullet

Is there a way to change the Scenery Complexity slider to normal but not to let it draw City buildings etc.? Most of the buildings are ugly anyway and everytime i fly over a metro area I get a bigframe rate hit cause of that, like in sparse settings where the buildings arent drawn, though the airport signs and taxiway lights vanishes, so is there away to retain those? Cause it is hard to navigate around the airport without those :(So is there a work around for this?Thanks in advance

>Is there a way to change the Scenery Complexity slider to>normal but not to let it draw City buildings etc.? Most of the>buildings are ugly anyway and everytime i fly over a metro>area I get a bigframe rate hit cause of that, like in sparse>settings where the buildings arent drawn, though the airport>signs and taxiway lights vanishes, so is there away to retain>those? Cause it is hard to navigate around the airport without>those :(>>So is there a work around for this?>>Thanks in advanceTry turning down the autogen setting.

Guest kbullet

i've always had autogen on sparse, so that's not it, though i thought autogen are mostly for trees

Guest Nick_N

Sorrycity buildings are directly connected to that slider... so are gates for AI as wellAs you raise that slider, its not just the buildings that are killing you, its more the airport gates in a 50-120NM radius being scanned and calculated by the simWhat is your Airline and GA traffic set to? if you are not on a fast system, running 30 or above will in fact nail the system hard with the scenery complextity slider raised

The gates kill much more than the buildings. To get rid of them, you have to comment the "exits" entries of your AI aircrafts. Makes a HUGE difference when you are near big airports.

Guest kbullet

I have traffic set to minimum as well, when i fly over London there's alot of scenery buildings that just lags me out, especially when im online with vatsim, though in sparse settings it is very smooth, though navigating around the airport at day/night is a pain unless u taxi straight to the runway without any path which is uncool

There are two types of buildings.Autogen creates almost all of the farm buildings, small town buildings, small city buildings and a large percentage of the big city buildings.There are also a lot of specific models located in larger cities. Some, like the 49 of the US State Capitol buildings are the only custom model in that city. (Sorry Alaska - you know your state capital looks like a standard FS generic four or five story building)Buildings you recognize like the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, etc are separate models.There are also a lot of generic buildings specificially placed in cities.When a modeler creates a building model or the location specific generic buildings or any scenery object, he adds a setting to the model which determines which scenery density at which the model displays.You cannot change those without finding each building, decompiling the building code, making the change, and recompiling the building.For a city like New York or Los Angeles - this might be only a couple hundred objects/ models, or a few thousand.

Guest kbullet

how about taxi signs and lights can we modify it somehow to show it in sparse settings?

>>how about taxi signs and lights >can we modify it somehow to >show it in sparse settings?>Taxiway signs do not have a scenery density setting and are set internal by FSX. Not sure what lights you mean. If it is runway/taxiway lights those are also set internal based on time of day and/or weather visibility.If you do not set the scenery slider higher then Dense, most Jetways will not show at the Gate parking spots. MS does this purposely as per the SDK so FPS stay high on certain computers.

Guest kbullet

well at sparse scenery density the taxi sign and lights are gone, they come up again when the slider is at normal or above, the taxi lights are the green/blue ones that are on the taxi ways at night(Green for turns, blue for taxi road marking), again they disappear when scenery density is set to sparse

Guest EdrickV

Not sure what kinda rig you have, but what I would do if I were you would be to re-tweak your settings to see if you can get decent preformance at Normal scenery complexity. You start by saving your current settings, then drop everything down to minimum. Set scenery complexity to Normal. And set a framerate higher then what you want to get. (So if you want 15fps try starting with 25/20 so you can see what happens after each change.) Raise one thing at a time. Do your test flying in the worst fps spot you know of. And try to keep your average framerate higher then your target. (I call it building in a little extra. Locking the framerate lower then what it could be gives FSX more time for other stuff, like loading scenery or dealing with higher detail models.) I built my current settings around max scenery complexity 'cause I wanted to be able to see all the jetways. Not that I usually fly jets, but it just looks right. Of course, my airline/GA traffic is really low 'cause that's a very big FPS hit. Different view modes may have an affect on your FPS too. (VC might give a bigger hit then 2d panel for example.)Also remember, you can have multiple configuration settings for different kinds of flights, or even for different stages of a flight."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

>>like in sparse settings where the buildings >arent drawn, though the airport signs >and taxiway lights vanishes, so is there >away to retain those?>Yes and No based on what you rewrite in the XML code. As stated above (in my post) the taxiway signs cannot be internaly changed as per the scenery density slider. MS set certain scenery at a certain density. We have the ability to change other scenery to a different density slider internally but Taxiway signs and taxiway lights are not on that list.If you want all the Jetways at a airport to show at Very Sparse or Extremely Dense that can be done by resetting the internal density attribute setting in the XML. You cannot reset taxiway signs and taxiway lights to Sparse or Very Sparse. Whatever FSX set for taxiway signs and taxiway lights we have to stay with. If that happens to be Normal you can't make it Sparse or Very Sparse.If all taxiway signs and taxiway lights come on at Normal then what point are you trying to make.>>well at sparse scenery density the >taxi sign and lights are gone, they >come up again when the slider is at >normal or above, >and so are all the Main Terminal buildings (gone) which are set to a minimum of Normal at most airports. If the Mian Terminal is missing then so are the taxiway signs and lights and you have nothing to taxi up to.At Normal settings the taxiway signs, taxiway lights and Main Terminal Buildings still show. Only at Sparse do they dissappear. All Lights associated with a runway never turn off. In my post I never said what position of the scenery density slider is the lowest allowed before you loose the taxiway signs, taxiway lights and Main Terminals.I said"Taxiway signs do not have a scenery density setting and are set internal by FSX". When we say 'set internal by FSX' then the scenery density settings we are refering to is the code set in the internal XML for the imageComplexity=""> and not what you can physically position with a slider. The slider position (which is external) calls the scenery based on the XML code set in the internal imageComplexity attribute. Taxiway signs and taxiway lights do not have a imageComplexity attribute (Main Terminals and buildings do) and set internally to a default positon of the scenery slider as per non written XML.