Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

GEX question

I just installed US/Canada GEX, based on the many positive comments in this forum, and after flying around a bit, I think these textures are here to stay. One thing I like is that the transition from 1m textures to 2m textures is not as obvious and the various levels of detail flow more seamlessly, very nice.A question though, is there any way to avoid placements like the following, right on my way from KSEA to downtown Seattle, where a factory is plunked down on a sportsfield... :-( http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185562.jpg

Bert

Guest Nick_N

We have an update coming out that will address some of that... watch for it within the next day or soEDIT: UPDATE IS POSTED! http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=25279unfortunately -it will not address it all- and much of it is not GEX related but LANDCLASS related.I will post an image of the same spot uning my install which runs payware LANDCLASS and not the default FSX landclass which has 'holes' and can allow the wrong textures to be placed.UTX will also help in correcting some of it but again, not all. The ltest update is a HUGE update for UTX which brings UTX layers up to GEXn texture for day and NIGHT lighting standardsRoads cutting over textures is not a GEX issue, at all.Recommended you use 1m Texture resolution minimum on the slider for best results

>unfortunately -it will not address it all- and much of it is>not GEX related but LANDCLASS related.At least in the picture above, it's neither land class or texture related. Those are scenery objects, the factory and the lighted tower are two objects individually, just as the storage tanks up above are scenery objects and the factory to the right side of the picture. Nothing is going to rid them except an exclusion rectangle.Which I've heard is Nick's next project...;-)

Guest Nick_N

thats not exactly correctthe factory or industrial DOES belong there, the rest of the tiles are WRONG because of the FSX default landclassPlease note:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185570.jpgWith UTX and the right PAYWARE landclass installed the railway lines are CORRECT and the ballfields are REMOVED and the entire dock and industrial area is now rendered CORRECT. There IS in fact a complex in that area that DOES have rail cars enter the facilityI live on Bainbridge Island across the Sound from Seattle. The image above -is in fact- CLOSE to the real areaSo the issue is LANDCLASS. When you use the default FSX landclass without great addons such as UTX and good landclass files such as SceneryTech, FSGenesis, etc... you get a very GENERIC worldlearn about landclass here:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24965

Thanks for the answer.. the problem for me is that the default FSX scenery textures are bland enough that conflicts like this, which exist all over the place, do not stand out.The GEX textures are more "bold" which looks great, but for that the conflicts are more jarring. The sportsfield is a case in point.It looks great, but having it transected by freeways and overlaid by factories is just too noticeable... The desert textures in GEX are really nice, and the mountain rock textures also... Tough call, but for me it is back to default until this issue is "flattened"..

Bert

Guest Nick_N

>Thanks for the answer.. the problem for me is that the>default FSX scenery textures are bland enough that conflicts>like this, which exist all over the place, do not stand out.>>The GEX textures are more "bold" which looks great, but for>that the conflicts are more jarring. The sportsfield is a case>in point.>It looks great, but having it transected by freeways and>overlaid by factories is just too noticeable... The desert>textures in GEX are really nice, and the mountain rock>textures also... >>Tough call, but for me it is back to default until this issue>is "flattened".. BertThe only way the issue will be FLATTENED is if you get rid of default FSX (landclass and textures) which was not designed RIGHT and go with the right add-ons that are. :)You have taken a step to a better sim with GEXn.. I suggest you may wish to consider Aces designed a very generic world and if you wish to enjoy FSX like other do who know better, you invest in the right add-ons which place tiles correctly.At the same time, the problem is not as wide spread as you are suggesting although I do agree it is more pronounced, and, there are no default FSX textures showing, its all GEXn. Roads crossing textures are NOT a GEXn issue.. that is a the way the sim is designed and until an add-on is designed to make a perfect world in landclass, roads, and textures is released, that

Guest Nick_N

By the way.. if you are not satisfied, please use the Flight1 refund systemIt does not cost you anything to try any F1 product if it does not work for you, and, if you do not think GEXn or any other F1 add-on works right for your system and FSX install, Flight1 will issue you a full refund.:)

More information about this update and download link here:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=25279

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

>>thats not exactly correct>>the factory or industrial DOES belong there, the rest of the>tiles are WRONG because of the FSX default landclass>OK, so now you have a factory sitting on top of rail lines and to the right you have two factories sitting on top of roads. So despite the addition of more payware, you have problems that are or should be handled in another manner, other than replacement textures or purchasing an additional product. My point, that appears to have ruffled your feathers, is that no matter how much effort is made in one particular area, sometimes nothing can be accomplished short of taking out the bad and replacing it with better. Becasue in the pictures posted here we start with an object sitting in the middle of something and end up with an object sitting in the middle of something.>learn about landclass here:>>http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24965>>I consider myself versed in land classification within FSX, but thanks for posting the link.

Fair enough, and I do appreciate that we live in an imperfect world !No hard feelings, I hope :-)

Bert

Guest Nick_N

>Fair enough, and I do appreciate that we live in an imperfect>world !>>No hard feelings, I hope :-)Absolutely none Bert... It's all about what works for you!

Guest Nick_N

Back upJust because the installed files are designed to PULL an AG factory instead of a AG railway industrial building (which DOES NOT EXIST AND GEX and UTX do NOT make AG) does not mean it is incorrect.No feathers ruffled... There is in fact a structure that does accept railway cars in that location. Unfortunately FSX does not have the right building assigned to show that, nor does it have one that matches the use, so, there is a give and take to what is seen. If you think it should be perfect and show the perfect building, that is another add-on which requires someone design both the perfect building and perfect layout for it.My point is,...do you prefer default? or the right add-on that lands things at least close to what there is in the real world?if you expect perfection... your looking for a different add-on. I suggest when that add-on is released it is critiqued to perfection:)

Guest Nick_N

Although I do understand the desire for a perfect world and perfect buildings, with perfect placement.. I do not

Nick,Those are some really nice blurry-free screen shots you submitted. Thanks! At least I now know that vastly improved visuals await me some time in the future, when I can afford an upgrade. I assume you are using commercial landclass, UTX and your own GEX. I'm curious, can you still maintain such wonderful non-blurry visuals with smooth frame rates in the Seattle area while flying commercial airliner add-ons?With UTX and GEX installed and my autogen set to dense, if I fly anything faster than a C172, my scenery turns to a blurry mess. By the way, would you mind submitted your hardware specs?Thanks again for the inspiring pics!Best regards,Tom Murphy