Sign in to follow this  
StamPilot

Addon Aircraft cost more then sim....

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I was just looking at the highly touted C-130 from CaptSim and saw it was $56.58(39 euros) WOW..... if that was 39 bucks (USD) I would buy but MAN thats high for an aircraft addon.... Or is it just Me? amd I cheap? the F1 Super 80 is a Superb aircraft for half that cost.... oh well just venting...

Guest aarskringspier

Its all dependant on what you want. For me the base sim is just that a base for me to build on. The cost for it doesnt really factor in. My enjoyment comes from building upon that more or less blank canvas the Sim I want. I personally enjoy add on big iron aircraft like the Level D's and PMDG. I buy ground textures, sky textures, cloud textures textures for my textures!! Really the sim isnt even what came out of the box all it does is serve as the platform to run my add ons.Just buy it if you can afford it and want it (I dont really know if its any good or not) and forget about the base cost of the sim.Just my unwanted advice :D

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

You are right.... And most likely whne i can I will Buy it cuz I do want it LOL.....its just hard to let go.....And sometimes a round of golf cost more then the clubs....*grin*

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yes, but a set of golf clubs is not often priced more than the cost to purchase a golf course, which is I think the proper analogy.

>Yes, but a set of golf clubs is not often priced more than>the cost to purchase a golf course, which is I think the>proper analogy.Well I have to disagree with that one. We are talking about a $50 simulation not a $50,000 simulation. Addon developers need to make a buck and pay the bills also. FSX is the "land" to build your "golf course" on and the addons are the "greens", "fairways", "santdraps" etc... used to build your finished course to your taste. As stated above FSX is just a base.

>Just think of fsx like a printer and the add ins like the ink>refills! :-lol (I bought a new printer last year cause it was>cheaper than buying replacement ink).>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/Ha ha, that's the best analogy I've heard. Thanks for the laugh Geofa:-lol :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest DreamFleet

>>Just think of fsx like a printer and the add ins like the>ink>>refills! :-lol (I bought a new printer last year cause it>was>>cheaper than buying replacement ink).>>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>>>My blog:>>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/>>Ha ha, that's the best analogy I've heard. Thanks for the>laugh Geofa>:-lol :-lol Oh yeah! :-lol :-lol:-lol :-lol:-lol :-lol Funny, indeed, Ron, and I know where you're coming from, yet, you know as well as I, that's not the reason why add-ons cost what they do.;)Now, Geof, come on, why do FS add-ons cost what they do? Hmmmmm... could it be somewhere in the those classes we learned in business school?Might it have to do with sales volume vs. the investment involved with producing it? Ya' know "ROI".I mean, it is not as though add-ons sell in the same volume as FS does, not even close, not by a very long shot.Some folks look at freeware downloads and think that applies to payware sales. I only wish! I have substantial experience doing freeware, so I know.I know Ron would agree with that.I do agree that one should consider FS to be the "Operating System", and add-ons those things that enhance it, as opposed to something necessary to make it work such as an ink cartridge is to a printer. It's like buying Vista and having MS Paint but then getting Adobe Photoshop for $600+ as it does more than Paint, or MS word as it does more than Notepad.Sorry, Geof, not a good analogy in my opinion. No offense, my good man.It all comes down to sales volume vs. the cost to produce the add-on, and the sales volume of FS add-ons is not even close to the sales volume of FS itself. Now that the market is split between FS9 and FSX, it only gets worse. Don't think, Geof, because you switched to FSX that everyone else did. You would be shocked at the volume of my FS9 sales. In my opinion, FSX IS the worst-ever new release of FS, as more folks than ever have remained with the previous version (FS9), yet enough have switched to FSX to force developers to produce for both to try to maintain some volume of sales, and that is not cheap to do!Seriously, unlike an ink cartridge is to a printer, you do not need an add-on to make FS work. You might need an add-on to enhance FS, and that is a significant difference.Not everyone needs the add-on. They can be happy with what comes with FS and, guess what? Most folks are happy with FS as it is, and make no mistake about it, these forums do not represent the entire market for FS, not even close. Thus, sales of add-ons are very low in comparison to sales of FS itself (a tiny fraction), yet the labor to produce them is substantial and has only increased further since the release of FSX and the need to also produce for FS9.Thus: Cost of add-ons is high because sales are low in comparison to the cost to produce them.Or, to put it another way and to give a somewhat extreme example: If I thought, based on experience, that everyone who bought MSFS would buy our recently released Piper Dakota, I would have sold it for US $2.99, and after the cost of distribution, credit card processing fees, etc., would have been very, very happy to net $2.00 a copy.;)In fact, I could probably charge $1.00 less, and still earn a respectable ROI.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Wow Lou, why the serious tone? We can all use some humour around here these days:-) We've had the whiners, moaners and groaners, and just plain nasty guys posting so why not lighten up a bit my friend.Our numbers are a lot different than yours simply because we took the bull by the horns with regard to FSX/SP1/SP2/DX10 compliance and at the end of the day that means we are enjoying some of the benefits of our hard work.In our view, FSX is not nearly as bad as some would have us think. FSX serves as a baseline for development for FS Next so we all must get used to it. The upside is that it's not likely that current FSX/SP1/SP2/DX10 products will suffer the back compat issues that have presented themselves with the current release and users will benefit greatly if that turns out to be the case:-)Any way...a blonde on one side of the river asks the blonde on the other side of the river "how do I get to the other side?" and the other answers "you already are on the other side" :-lol :-lol :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

why the serious tone? Because I guess Lou is getting well and truely tired of this same thing being brought up time and time again.It's pretty much always the same, a bunch of kids who don't know how the real world works can't afford an addon they want and start complaining that it's too expensive because it costs more than the sim itself (or more than half the sim, or whatever).Often (not this time (yet?)) it's followed or accompanied by statements that such "extortionist" high prices mean they're in their rights to pirate the addons instead of buying them, both as "punishment" for the maker and because they'd never buy it anyway at the price.Those kids obviously never had to buy software apart from games of course.Things like Photoshop, 3DSMax, Visual Studio, MS Office, all cost more than Windows, and have the same relation to Windows that addons have to FS.

Jerone, you are preaching to the choir here since we doubt that Lou has faced anything any worse than we or the rest of our fellow developers have faced over the same time periods.The fact that some of us can and do still have a shred of humour left after the toughest year since we started developing should be an encouragement:-)Of course we've all heard the stupid arguments but for now why not laugh instead of argue the same old arguments?I think it was Readers Digest that coined the phrase that "Laughter is the best medicine" :-lol :-lol :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Alphahawk3

Having lived out of the US for almost half of my 50 plus years I did not even know about Avsim until around 2003 or 2004. I worked in a country that had no internet until 1998 and yet I have owned every version of FS produced. Having discovered Avsim...which had adds for add on programs and aircraft I was like a kid in a candy store. I suppose I am like most and wish MS had more and better made aircraft in their program..although some of the default aircraft are pretty good in my opinion....the program cannot possibly satisfy each persons taste in aircraft. The same goes for the scenery. I choose to buy because it makes my experience better in the sim. I may be wrong but I think...or maybe it is mostly hope the next version of FS will exceed FSX by leaps and bounds. But with my add ons I have quite a nice experience flying and fly much more than I did when I had no add ons for FSX. All people want to be paid for their work. In my opinion most prices for the add ons are what the market will bear.....and with a little reading one can soon learn who not to buy from. So keep the planes and scenery coming and regards to the developers who help to make me want to use the program instead of it just taking up space on my hard drive. Regards, Randy

Core 2 Extreme QX9650@4Ghz/ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT on ASUS P5K3 DELUXE Vista 32Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution CaseCooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W PSEVGA 8800GTX 768MB Superclocked4GB Super Talent DDR3@1333Mhz 4 150GB WD Raptor X's LITE-ON 20X DVD