Sign in to follow this  
StamPilot

Addon Aircraft cost more then sim....

Interesting thread... but, as was stated... an old argument.Development costs money. I've been working on my current project for well over a year. Full time, and yes it's that complex. How much is that worth? Is $40 really asking too much???

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>Hint, hint-there has never been a B55 Baron done for fs......>>>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/There you got me thinking Geofa :-lolI know what it takes regarding efforts after 8 different Aero Commanders a Beech D18 and Dash7 lolIt's just a labor of love ;-)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>The "cost of developement" is the one I can't get over.>>Obviously you need to purchase some 3dmax type of program, and>perhaps some image editing and sound editing programs.>>>To hear some people talking development consists of a nasa>sized room full of programmers.>>I think many people in the MSFS world view it like a cash cow.> It strikes me odd coming from the gaming and racing sim>community where people still mod for the love of the game or>sim.>>I believe developers should be fairly compensated for their>efforts, but I believe the O.P. has some merit. MSFS is a>commercialized cash cow for many dev's, and they get very>irate/defensive when you start talking about the underbelly of>the industry.>>You sound like you have never done an addon for a game or sim?Haven't been around much this past year because of development (free and commercial) for other communities/markets. The main reason some gaming/addon communities have those that develop for the love of the game or sim is that they haven't found a way to make a buck at it....yet, LOL. With the very limited market FS has, there is definitely some love of the sim to stick with a commercial project considering the length of time invested for most addons and the ROI, especially with FSX.If you have a problem with the cost of an addon, simply vote with your wallet. I worked on a CGI project for a group a few months back and the release price was really high IMO. Due to low sales, the group then lowered it and it took off, supply and demand at it's best, LOL. It's only a cash cow if people are willing to purchase your product.Developers get irrate when those with no understanding of what is involved start to criticize,.... makes sense.Regards, MichaelKDFWFSX only!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Lith1um

For the record, I wasn't referring to any participant in this thread.

Guest firehawk44

I need to jump in here and put in my $44 worth of wisdom that I'm having problems selling on E-Bay so will pass on for free here. I don't think anyone is complaining about people getting paid for the work they put into a product or to create an idea and put it together and sell it. I just think they are going about it the wrong way and many of the products have already been pretty much "discovered" by Microsoft and other aircraft fltsim producers (existing and former producers such as Janes). I remember the F-15 software, the Tomcat game, Total Air War, the AH-64, etc., etc. For some reason, the cost for those products was always $49.95 yet each piece of software required a huge amount of development. The cockpits, the exterior views, the various weaponry used all required a huge amount of skill and knowledge and, in the end, they were all outstanding. Yet the price was only $49.95 and these were complete games, with aircraft, scenery, cockpits, weaponry, the packaging, the distribution, etc, etc. They still made millions because the price seemed reasonable, many bought it, the word got out, it subsequently became popular, and many more bought it. It was so popular, some manufacturers made sequels and sold them for $49.95 and made even more millions! If they would have charged $49.95 for the aircraft, the VC and the flight dynamics, $49.95 for the weaponry that could be loaded in the aircraft (some of it was absolutely stunning), then another $49.95 for the combat missions they created, I doubt there would have been many sales and it probably wouldn't have been very popular. Microsoft used their skills and expertise to build the FS engine, the various pieces of aircraft, developed flight dynamics, developed missions, and the scenery these pieces of aircraft have to fly over, because, without the scenery, no $56 aircraft would ever sell (BTW, this CaptSim product is now $131 with all enhancements). Yes, there's a lot of work required to build an addon or "enhance" a Microsoft or previous commercial fltsim producer's ideas, but much of it has already been developed by Microsoft (and in some cases by freeware developers). It just has to be fine-tuned by a commercial addon developer, packaged, and distributed. I have no problems with commercial FS developers like FSUIPC and Cloud9 for instance. There prices are reasonable. I just don't understand why many addon producers don't charge $20 for their products (ok, $19.99). There are thousands of flight simmers out there and I think more would purchase products if the price were reasonable. The developer would receive more money too because there would be a larger volume of sales (or should be!). So, if only 100 people bought a product for $56 because of its high price, the developer would receive $5600 for his/her developmental efforts. But if the product cost $20 and 1000 people bought the product because it was priced reasonably, the developer would make $20,000. What would YOU rather have? $20,000 or $5600? Thanks for your time and for letting me to vent just a little.... Jim

>Yes, but a set of golf clubs is not often priced more than>the cost to purchase a golf course, which is I think the>proper analogy.Not really, your analogy states that the addon costs more than the computer required to run the sim on...

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

WOW. Never thought I would have a thread that had the HOT logo. LOLDidnt mean to stir up the pot.... Just making an observation. Like I said, when I loosen up a little I will most likey buy the product especially if it goes on sale *grin* (hint hint) After all according to my wife I have spent WAY TO MUCH on flight sim products like software, yokes, 22' lcd's and the like! so to clear the air.. :-) I am NOT:1. Blasting The Developer2. Blasting MS3. Blasting programmers4. Blasting Caps...5. Blasting ......uh.....If you can sell it for X amount then do.If it cost you X to make it then dont sell it for less. A 2008 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Cost about $48,000.00 And I want one. I am complaining about the price ? No just saying what it cost And that I think it should be less. I will buy one eventually. But I can still think its expensive and wish it was cheaper. :-) so I better go now before everyone starts yelling again...:-outtaDe Plane De Plane*Smiles Everyone, Smiles*

:-lol :-lol :-lol Thanks for keeping it lightened up.:-lol :-lol :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Flight simming is still a relatively cheap hobby, especially if you compare it to the real thing.But look at this way:For the price of FSX and a few addons, you get to participate in some of the liveliest, most intense, and most impassioned debates, controversies and scandals on the internet... all played out right here in the Avsim forums.It's like a big soap sometimes.For a lot of people the drama that goes with flight simming is more interesting than simming itself :-)Cheers,Bryan

Guest fsxmissionguy

"A 2008 Chevrolet 3500 Silverado Cost about $48,000.00 ..."You know, if Capt. Sim would put as many cupholders in their airplanes as Chevy puts in that Silverado, there'd be a whole lot less complainin' goin' on around here about price.There is a cupholder-to-price ratio that Detroit figured out a looooong time ago, but which is largely untapped by some otherwise pretty smart sim developers.

>If you have a problem with the cost of an addon, simply vote>with your wallet. Could not agree more, Michael! There is a good term 'worth the money'. If I do not like grapes I would hardly buy them even if they cost 1 cent. But if I love C-130 (and I DO love it), I make my own calculation. I really think this particular aircraft is worth the money I invested. It gives me more emjoynment than one good dinner in restaurant.