Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

HIGHER (?!?) Texture resolution setting gives me BETTER perf.

Ok, still tweaking and twacking FSX with GEXnhanced and the UTX-USA and Can.I had the TEXTURE RESOLUTION set at 1M to match the fact that GEXnhanced's textures are also 1M.Okay...Still playing around with different combos on the Scenery Slides, I decided to crank the TEXTURE REZ all the way up to full 7CM. After the sim loaded in that setting, I ended up with HIGHER FPS and SMOOTHER performance over the terrain.So...what gives? I'm at a loss to explain this. Here I am supposedly placing greater demand on my system by upping the ante, and it pays off in better visual performance.I give up...for at a total loss over this...LOL!No complaining...no, no...just trying to UNDERSTAND different slider implications. This just didn't make any sense whatsoever.Tweaking away..chipping away, here and there...Mitch

Guest Nick_N

I run the same thing Mitch, 7cm.. it does in fact help display road and taxi textures sharper and I have found other textures, although they are 1m, they do tend to load clearer.First of all, you optimized the system using my list which means now you have more resources to work with, therefore you will discover you can raise certain sliders (be carefull though) and get positive results.You must work this now (slowly) to find all the sweet-spots. I did not post a FSX list or a "how-to" tune FSX. I have posted a generic list of settings for some people to try but I have never posted a complete guide to FSX tuning.FSX tuning comes AFTER the system optimize... and now you can see why.:)EDIT: Also, raising autogen here has the same effect... better performance. When I lower eutogen I get stutters and when I raise it to a level that is in line with the rest of my settings I fly smooth.Also, forget the frame counter.. it will drive you nuts... just focus on 3 things.. image quality, sharpness and smooth flight.:-beerchug

Guest Nick_N

I think it is in line with balancing the load.. by telling the system to use 7cm is is forcing FSX to focus on the GPU instead of the CPU calls.. priority to threading instruction, but not sure since I am not a graphics code guru... none the less I have seen that one for over a year and set to 7cm since RTM... also, rasing autogen with other scenery elements in balance can have the same effect.. at least it does for me.

>>By the way... did you see my post about your FSX.cfg? I>responded to your post about the perfomance results and gave>you some things to try to help smooth out the turns... did you>try those?>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...36883&mode=full>-------------------------------------------Yes I did Nick, and thank you. I have not responded to that particular thread, as I am still messin' around with all the settings.But...ONE thing I can tell you...whether you even RUN flight simulation software...you need to go by the letter on your XPsp2 Tune-Up. I do not run any simulation software on my ThinkPad for it is used strictly for business. But having said that...LORD...did it light a fire under XP's butt! It just slays me, that we will all go out and update (renew/buy) our equipment to gain higher performance...and in hindsight (post-your-Tuneup) it was probably RIGHT THERE on the last system to what we own now. It just needed O.S. tweaking. My fiance has a T61 while I have a T42. She has a new Intel T7200 dual-core CPU and Xpsp2. I have a Pent. 3 1.5 GHz in mine. I can certainly tell you that if you now put our two systems side-by-side, mine would be the XP screamer! I know that for a fact, as I have used her T61. Of course, if I now tune up HER T61 O.S., it will no doubt then run over me in performance--- if we are then apples-to-apples. BTW, you can NOT go wrong with ANY IBM T-series laptop. They are built like tanks, but don't weigh anywhere near one...LOL! Great laptops!Thanks again for a fabulous tip!Mitch

>Same for me-strange isn't it!>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/--------------------You bet Geofa...in fact...I'm about to go and give my Pent4 3.4 a total heart-attack with putting all sliders, everything, bending to the right. Let's see what that does...If you smell smoke...simply disregard....;)Mitch

Guest Nick_N

not smoke.. but you are going to choke it LOLDont be afraid to test though. Once you get things to where you think they are looking sweet you should post your 5 FSX settings screens for me to review and I will see if there is anything I can suggest to make it better.There are certain settings (in combination) that can and will have a whopping effect both + and -