Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Vista or XP

<>Wasn't it Dell who were forced to reintroduce XP to its laptops such was the outcry when they only offered Vista? And if Vista is the future why is Microsoft about to release SP3 for XP? That suggests to me that XP still has plenty of life left in it.I don't doubt that Vista is more secure (do you like DRM?) and prettier with the aero interface but do you honestly believe it's easier to use and run programs when the user is prevented from writing to the Program Files area? And having to right-click an executable to run in Administrator Mode when your account has administrator privileges?There is a case for moving to a 64-bit OS and no doubt the day will come when I will. I see no advantages in a 32-bit Vista. The next version of FS will hopefully require a 64-bit OS and that is when I'll move.I'm certainly no kid and I normally change to the latest OS but the whole timing of FSX, Vista and the required hardware for DX10 has been a nightmare. Hopefully Microsoft will learn from the debacle and things will be better for FSXI.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not at all disappointed.I have 4 computers 3-with xp and one (my flight sim computer with Vista).After using Vista I really don't like going back to the Xp machines-but as they are older and I don't want to pay for 3 new licenses I leave Xp on.Xp really feels dated and I miss all the new options/features of Vista.I didn't upgrade to Vista for Dx10. I would advise anyone that this is not a reason to move to Vista. I also did not expect performance to increase-as more features always means more computational cycles-same as I did not expect fsx to run faster than fs9. However, I was suprised that Vista seems to run fsx about the same-if there is a difference I can't tell. I have a feeling a lot of decisions are made before a user has really tried it out fully, seen what it is capable of, and most importantly realized that it might be different and need a slight learning curve. The first week I owned Vista I ranted on the MS Vista board that this was the worst operating system I have ever used. I now wish I could erase the post. Turning of uac was mostly the source of my rage-and turning it off was one click away (maybe two).As for the general consensus-I usually like to make up my own mind, and find often rumor/consensus is not always right. Again-I'd advise anyone to read the free guides listed above so one can be informed as to what Vista will and will not do. http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>I have seen ZERO difference in performance between Vista and>XP on a GOOD machine.>>Yes, a slow CPU and low RAM would make for a slow Vista I'm>sure. However, with a dual core and 2-4 gigs of RAM, you will>not notice a difference in performance as far as FSX (or FS9)>is concerned.>>User Access Control is the worst idea ever in Vista, but it is>easily disabled. I keep my computer on auto-update and have>the latest drivers for my peripherals, and I haven't had any>problems.Take a look at RESETMCP's Benchmark thread in the Hardware forum, and you'll see the difference, even on my machine, and it is very noticeable. I have both XP and Vista and can see the difference. FSX SP2 does make up for some of it, but I only use that on my Vista boot disk, and very rarely, due to it's other design problems! Word is Vista SP1 should been Vista performance to XP levels. We'll see!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

XP...DX 10 is a "non event" in FSX, in terms of REAL mesurable improvement in both apearance and performance.

stupid. Vista isn't just about DX10.And you're thinking short term, and in typical narrowminded fashion too. There's more to life than FSX.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

agreed. Vista is no problem at all. I like it better than XP and I've only been using it about 2 months. Turn off UAC and make sure you're running with admin privileges and you won't have any problems at all. I'm running all sorts of software - some quite old (NR2003 with a ton of mods, MAME, FS9) it all runs just as well as it did under XP. No draconian privacy intrusions on the part of MS either.

Its a terrible idea to run most of your program in Administrative mode. If you get hacked then they will have access to everything and every password in your system. This indeed why its done that way in Vista.

>stupid. Vista isn't just about DX10.>And you're thinking short term, and in typical narrowminded>fashion too. >There's more to life than FSX.Looks to me you are the kid here, calling kids and saying other people are stupid just because they prefer XP to Vista. Get your act together. For what it's worth, i also prefer XP and i have both installed. Vista is problems after problems. My opinion is also to stay with XP until FS11.You can call me a 44 year old kid.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I have run FSX on both operating systems, but with different computers, so I can't really make a comparison.However, i am currently running Vista/Q6600/8500GT, and I am well satisfied with the FSX/SP2 performance. I have air traffic set at 65%, with most of the other settings midrange, and everything is quite smooth. Things get too crowded for my tastes if I step the traffic up further. I am hoping for more improvement with Vista SP1, but if not the system is fine as is.I have become accustomed to Vista after a 4 month learning transition that included a lot of four letter words, but would not now go back to XP.I am also one of those that think future hardware/software will be Vista oriented. Having said that though, I definitely would not base a decision on OS's on the ability to use FSX with DX10 Preview. I have just recently (and briefly) run FSX with DX10 Preview active, and my personal opinion is that it was vastly over-rated.Also be aware that Vista introduces some new problems in transitioning old (including FS-2004) add-on aircraft and other associated software, but I think it is worth the effort.Regards,Thrakete

But woudn't the more sophisticated security in Vista make it even harder to be hacked? ;-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Geof,<>But it isn't possible to try before you buy. :-( I read PC magazine reviews of it and even they weren't singing its praises. I don't trust rumour either but I do trust IT professionals.Of course everyone is free to choose what OS they want. The purpose of the OP's post was to ask which OS was better. At the moment the vote seems to be in the favour of XP.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No it isn't possible to try Vista but the link I provided above has all the info you need to make an informed decision and is certainly more comprehensive than a magazine review. http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.htmlYou can also get his manual on how to make xp run better also.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Thanks Geof,I'm up to my eyes building a new system at present but once I have some time I'll have a read.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm sorry...I need something more compelling than "Vista is the future" or "Vista is no problem at all".x64 XP has given me "only" one BSOD in almost 2 years of use. It's easy to use, it's reliable, it's secure (of course, just my opinion) and I am very happy with it. It has NEVER caused me frustration (The mid-90s were a very dark period for me with the Win 9x's until I began finding peace and outright happiness with NT4).Even tho I qualify for an academic upgrade to Vista (is like... $34) I am still very hmmm.If someone could say, "Yeah dude, Vista will give u a 10% bump in kN/s for Rybka" (kN/s=kilo Nodes/sec | Rybka = a chess engine) or "Bro... ur so yesterday... wait till u see FSX in Vista"... right now it's going to be hard to convince me that it's "more stable" or "more secure" than what I have now. Wow, I just started thinking of Carly Simon's "Nobody does it better" (time to find it on youtube btw).Until that time, where someone can give me some concrete reason for moving on... or my Id desires its Vista-trek, I'm sticking with the ol' "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".Ehem... That said...Since this is a "new" build, and I didn't see anything about you being a current XP user, and since SP1 is out... given these conditions I would probably opt for Vista (hey, I want to be part of "the future" too :-P).Rob O.