Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

XP64?

Hello,My new system is on the WAY...Woooooot!!!Enough of that, anyone running XP64? Impressions?Does the multicore config fix (FSX) still work with SP2.Thanks in advance,ed

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Guest Nick_N

Oh yeaI run it... would not fly without itYou do need to make sure the BIOS on that board is set up right if you intend to run more than 2GB of memory as I do. There can be settings in the BIOS that correclty address a 64bit OS for PCIe memory mapping which can be disabled by default.Anyway.. here are your magic bullets...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=436619&page=and if you are getting a Nvidia GTX card, here are your magic drivers... well, at least they are pretty special on my systemhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=35398&page=make sure you use Nhancer as outlined in the link provided.... you should be good to goYour add-ons will make a huge difference in performance and looks too. good luck!:)

Guest cbuchner1

XP64 is good. I run it, I like it.

Thanks Nick,Hehehe...I'm already using your magic formula on my OLD PC.WORKS GREAT!!! THANKS.One last question if you don't mind.Are you using the multicore config tweak with SP2?Thanks again in advance.ed

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Guest cbuchner1

My 4 cores are busy doin' Tileproxy on FSX SP2.No other tweaks installed, except for a shader water patch I think.

Guest Nick_N

...I do notice better handling of loads with Tile Proxy in x64 over x32... and MSFS is smoother IMHO.the OS simply works smoother in everything. We have 64bit processors.. no reason not to try and take advantage of the systems even though software makers may still not be up to speed or on the bandwagon yet... (hint for Phil Taylor) LOL.

Okie-Dokie!Thanks guys.Enjoy

"It's ALL about Flying"

A couple of questions thrown in here:I use 32-bit Vista and almost all of my software from XP works just fine under Vista (I run everything under Admin). I also have all of my Vista 32-bit drivers installed.Question - are people using the 64-bit OS having problems with software that comes from the XP environment?Question - are the 64-bit video drivers keeping up with the requirements of FSX?Thanksfb

Guest Nick_N

For the most part, noIts more about drivers than software... almost any 32bit software will run in 64.. but anything 16bit will notYou must make sure driver support is there for all your hardware, that is the most important part, but, you should still confirm software.. such as utility programs like defragger, etc.. they must be x64 compliant and there are usually x64 versions.

Guest cbuchner1

Some game copy protection may fail.Sometimes there are patches from the manufacturer (e.g. for "Fahrenheit"), but sometimes not.Strangely, the FSX copy protection works as it is supposed to. ;)Note that 32 bit apps are automatically installed in a separate place and writes to the filesystem (e.g. windows folder) and registry are directed to a different place by the OS. Sort of like a sandbox for 32 bit apps.Ah, the 2GB per process memory limit for 32 bit apps has grown to a full 4GB if the app is compiled as "large address aware" (as FSX SP2 is).