Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

GEX + UTX = Something Not Right

No -- at least not after I reinstalled FSX + SP1 & 2 and then defraged that drive. I have FSX on its own drive along with a couple of FSX related programs. That drive is only 30% full and I defrag it almost daily if I've changed anything.

Guest Nick_N

Not sure which thread you got.. the one I was talking about what the list of UTX settings... I dont remember if that is in the thread with the 'system tune-up" or not, but it was his UTX settings 'before" the tune-up that got it working for him.The tune-up will take that further if its done right.. Shut down night lighting first, then lets take it from there... I can give you a list of UTX settings to try if it does not clear up from there.

>The blurries as I've shown are probably the result of my>moving around quite rapidly in the spot view. Some of the>texture tiles would show up crisp and correct and some>wouldn't. Rubberneckin' :7 >>I'll take a look at my scenery library tonight but I have only>added GEXen + UTX + FSG Landclass. I did make a change to my>TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= number after my flight. I found that I had>it set at 1024 so I have reset it to 512. I'll try another>flight tonight.>>I'll also take a look at the scenery.cfg file. You mention>three (3) such files? Where are the other 2? >>The screenshot was taken at about 40 miles due east of Kansas>City at 4,000 ft. >>I did take another test flight out of Ft. Lauderdale night>before last. Everything there looked great. Of course, there>was no snow on the ground.>>I'm presently at work so I can't do anything until after>dinner tonight. >>Thanks for the help!Hi Steve,I posted from work while on graveyard last night and I was unable to check the post as things got a little busy.The scenery.cfg files could be found here (Where "X" is your drive):X:Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFSXX:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXX:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XYour name may appear instead of "Owner." Follow Nick's lead as per his post as to where to sandwich the entries and everything should look alright.I can send you a copy of my scenery.cfg, if you would like to have a look PM me.Cheers,

\Robert Hamlich/

I checked my main Scenery.cfg file and there is no mention of any landclass at all. Looks pretty base to me. The last entry is AddonScenery.Am I missing something?

This is really weird. I have checked all 3 Scenery.cfg files. Two, the one in the main FSX folder and the one for "Owner" have 115 files -- all base. The one under Documents & SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFSX has 127 areas. I've copied 116 thru 127 below. You will note that UT Vegitation is ABOVE UT Urban not the other way around per Nick.Here are the areas:[Area.116]Title=KATLLocal=Addon SceneryKATLActive=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=116[Area.117]Title=UT Exclusions For Default SceneryLocal=SceneryUtExclLayer=117Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.118]Title=UT Usa LightingLocal=SceneryUtUsaLightsLayer=118Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.119]Title=UT Landclass - VegetationLocal=SceneryUtLcVegLayer=119Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.120]Title=UT Landclass - UrbanLocal=SceneryUtLcCityLayer=120Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.121]Title=UT Landclass - CustomLocal=SceneryUtLcCustLayer=121Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.122]Title=UT Usa RoadsLocal=SceneryUtUsaRoadLayer=122Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.123]Title=UT Usa RailroadsLocal=SceneryUtUsaRailLayer=123Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.124]Title=UT Usa WaterLocal=SceneryUtUsaWaterLayer=124Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.125]Title=UT Usa Ground PolygonsLocal=SceneryUtUsaGPLayer=125Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.126]Title=UT FSX Object RepositioningLocal=SceneryUtObjRepoLayer=126Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=[Area.127]Title=UT FSX WaterclassLocal=SceneryUtWcLayer=127Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=Any idea of why these 3 are all different? What do I do about this?Steve

>>I figure it will cost me around $1,300 or so to go to a dual>or quad core and motherboard + a 8800GT PCIexpress video card>& 2 Gb of PC2 8500 SDRAM. That upgrade will have to wait>until next fall. For now it is what it is.>Instead of shelling out $$$$ for an 8800, why not just upgrade the memory, motherboard, and cpu? You can do that for about $700 and it will give much better results than a P4/2.8.$600 or $700 max (a Q6600, ASRock or equivalent mboard, 2 gigs of DDR2) will get you 2 solid years of simmingafter that 2 years, FS11 will be on the horizon or spec'ed out and you'll be ready for Nehalem or whatever is out then.Your 7600 with 512 ram is not great but it is far from your weakest link. If budget is a concern, if it were me, I could live with the 7600 with 512, but I would have to have a faster cpu.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I just went to FSX and looked at the scenery list. UT Urban is #8 and UT Vegitation is #9. There is no other landclass in there.My FSG Landclass was automatically installed into Addon SceneryScenery as a file.I don't understand why 2 of the 3 Scenery.cfg files -- including the one in the FSX base folder are dated 9/9/2006. The only one that has changed is the one in the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX folder.

>Do you think I'd need a new power supply too? Mine is only>300 watts.Hm. I was just checking on some prices. There is a new Penryn dual-core out now, the E3400, for $239.99. And the Quad-core Q6600 is at $300 or so.Mate that to a Gigabyte motherboard $89.99 or an ASUS/ASROck for a few $$ more.With 2gb of decent ram $90 or less as ram prices are so low now.There you have your upgrade, all for under $500Do you need a p/s? Today's cpu's use less power than the P4 that you have right now. I think unless you are running multiple hard drives, etc. you might make it. You can get a 500 watter for cheap nowadays anyway. If the 300 gives you trouble, it's cheap to get a 500 watter.I assume your 7600 card is PCI Express. If it's AGP, that is a problem, since today's motherboards generally don't have AGP slots. So In that case, you'd have to get a new vidcard too, and then that is not cheap, that puts you up in the $750 range at least.But barring that, there is no need to blow $1,000+ on an upgrade if you are re-using your vidcard, power supply, and hard drive. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>This is really weird. I have checked all 3 Scenery.cfg>files. Two, the one in the main FSX folder and the one for>"Owner" have 115 files -- all base. The one under Documents &>SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFSX has 127 areas. >I've copied 116 thru 127 below. You will note that UT>Vegitation is ABOVE UT Urban not the other way around per>Nick.>Here are the areas:>[Area.116]>Title=KATL>Local=Addon SceneryKATL>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Layer=116>>[Area.117]>Title=UT Exclusions For Default Scenery>Local=SceneryUtExcl>Layer=117>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.118]>Title=UT Usa Lighting>Local=SceneryUtUsaLights>Layer=118>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.119]>Title=UT Landclass - Vegetation>Local=SceneryUtLcVeg>Layer=119>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.120]>Title=UT Landclass - Urban>Local=SceneryUtLcCity>Layer=120>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.121]>Title=UT Landclass - Custom>Local=SceneryUtLcCust>Layer=121>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.122]>Title=UT Usa Roads>Local=SceneryUtUsaRoad>Layer=122>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.123]>Title=UT Usa Railroads>Local=SceneryUtUsaRail>Layer=123>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.124]>Title=UT Usa Water>Local=SceneryUtUsaWater>Layer=124>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.125]>Title=UT Usa Ground Polygons>Local=SceneryUtUsaGP>Layer=125>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.126]>Title=UT FSX Object Repositioning>Local=SceneryUtObjRepo>Layer=126>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>[Area.127]>Title=UT FSX Waterclass>Local=SceneryUtWc>Layer=127>Active=TRUE>Required=FALSE>Remote=>>>Any idea of why these 3 are all different? >What do I do about this?>>SteveHi Steve,Nick has it right and from my experience all 3 of the scenery.cfg's should contain the same info. Make a backup of the .cfg with the 115 entries first. IMO you can copy the complete .cfg in documents and settings and paste the updated info into the other 2, restart FSX and let it rebuild your scenery.cfg, it should look much better then.Check with Nick and see what he says.

\Robert Hamlich/

Unfortunately, my video card is a AGP 8X one. That's why I was going with the 8800GT PCI-Express one.

OK. I copied the good Scenery.cfg out of "All Users", changed the Texture_Multiple_Bandwidth= to 400, the Texture_Max_Load= back to 1024, and started up FSX. While the view from 3-4,000 ft over Ft Lauderdale was a little blurry -- mainly the roads for some reason.I've attached a screenshot but I now realize that there is nothing but fields out west of Ft Lauderdale so this doesn't really show the UTX stuff. Sorry 'bout that.I now believe that my single core + AGP video card is just not robust enough to handle all of the UTX stuff so I will be planning on that ugrade -- but probably not until Fall. Still, what I see now is 100X times better than the default. Notice the textures in the attached pic.

Guest Nick_N

SteveDont give up the shipthat TBM is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too high There is a balance that must be found and running a 400 TBM is not going to get that balance.UTX roads and night lighting can place a strain on a weak system... the road encasements can increase that load... removing or reducing the size of the encasements can help.I cant post a list now but stopped by to see what was upThe scenery.cfg was fine... you should not need to mess with that except from within FSX in the control area. If something is off it is rare but can happen. As long as things were in order through the FSX control system, its usually fineThere is a tool that verifies entry numbers and fixes them but i do not have a link to it right now. I would not be playing with the files manually unless you are sure of what you are doing.Yes, you system is old and AGP is choked for bandwidth however I will post a list of items for you to try as soon as I can.