Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

GEX + UTX = Something Not Right

>This is really weird. I have checked all 3 Scenery.cfg>files. Two, the one in the main FSX folder and the one for>"Owner" have 115 files -- all base. The one under Documents &>SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFSX has 127 areas. This sounds as it should be. There is no need to, and you should not, be making manual changes to the two Scenery.cfg files which contain the base information. The one in the main FSX folder is effectively a template for the base FSX installation and is not loaded or read by FSX except when it is copied in to the Application Data area for the use the first time it is needed. It is then that one which entries are added to by FSX (and properly constructed scenery installers) via the Scenery Library. If you are having to manually copy entries around into multiple versions of the file then something is not right with your FSX installation and operation.The Scenery Library is the best place to add, and determine the ordering, of scenery layers.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest Nick_N

No problem Steve... sounds better and I would advise trying it lower as well.Sorry I have been tied up today or I would have posted a list for you earlier. Really busy here but I will get it posted for you.You could help me if you could post the 5 settings screens from within FSX and let me see what you are trying to run. Your older system will need some adjustments to take on an add-on that does apply more cpu time to the render and I would like to see where you are right now with settings. I cant promise any miracles but I am certainly willing to try and see if we can get it stable for you and still have a good portion of the bells and whistlesAfter I look over the settings, I may have you save the FSX.cfg elsewhere and start over with settings... if they dont work you can put you original cfg back.

Can you tell me if there is anything to do regarding FSG Lanclass which sits in the Addon Scenery folder and cannot be placed in the scenery library in the UTX sequence advised, unlike Xclass which when installed enters the Scenery Library as its own entity.

>Can you tell me if there is anything to do regarding FSG>Lanclass which sits in the Addon Scenery folder and cannot be>placed in the scenery library in the UTX sequence advised,>unlike Xclass which when installed enters the Scenery Library>as its own entity.The FSG land class BGL file can go into it's own folder and be activated in the library, which will then allow you to set it up for the UT/X layering. Nothing requires it be kept in the Addon Scenery folder.

Thanks MeshMan....obvious resolution when you think about it ! Very early in the morning where I am !

>OK. I copied the good Scenery.cfg out of "All Users",>changed the Texture_Multiple_Bandwidth= to 400, the>Texture_Max_Load= back to 1024, and started up FSX. While the>view from 3-4,000 ft over Ft Lauderdale was a little blurry -->mainly the roads for some reason.>I've attached a screenshot but I now realize that there is>nothing but fields out west of Ft Lauderdale so this doesn't>really show the UTX stuff. Sorry 'bout that.>>I now believe that my single core + AGP video card is just not>robust enough to handle all of the UTX stuff so I will be>planning on that ugrade -- but probably not until Fall. >>Still, what I see now is 100X times better than the default. >Notice the textures in the attached pic.Looking good Steve! Things are improving, keep at it.

\Robert Hamlich/

Here are the 5 settings pages. May look like I'm trying to get too much out of my rig but the 6th shows a test flight I took this morning out of Naples, FL. Frame rates were in the mid 20s.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185813.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185815.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185816.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185817.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185818.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185819.jpg

Guest Nick_N

OK, thanks Steve.. sometime today I am going to post a list to tryFirst of all, do you have any problems trying and using the software Nhancer?If not, I would like you to use that software and I will also post instructions for setting it up correctly with FSXPlease check back later.. I am making my forum rounds to see where others may be having problems right now but will get a list together for you today and post it. I do see a few things you are pushing too hard for your system and a few you should be able to increase. Its not about frames its about clarity and smooth flight. I dont care if the frame counter says 40.. if the textures are not clear or stutters show.. its not right. I would prefer you see 17 smooth and clear FPS over 40 blurry FPSI dont know if what I will suggest will help but I will certainly tryI can tell you that a great deal of resources can and will be recovered if you follow my XP system optimizing list.. you must be on XPSP2 and not an older Dell that uses an older WindowsXP SP1 install disk and then upgrade to SP2 from the web to use that list.Of course there are risks to system installs in any tweak situation however if you are on WindowsXPSP2 and it was installed from a WinXP SP2 disk and baring any hidden disk problems you may not be aware of,.. your good to go on that listhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=436619&page=2if followed correctly and carefully and dont skip anything I can say with all confidence you can recover the critical resources needed -especially- for a system like yours. The instructions are very clear and will probably take many hours to complete if you follow the list and do it right, but, the return should present you with a good sim improvement. Some people find that improvement off the scale and others may find it just a good boost but I have rarely seen anyone post they got nothing out of it. You must make sure your process list is in order and your not starting Windows with a massive number of startup items.. that part you have to deal with yourself because every system is different and I am not there to look at the list. I can't do that one for you and be careful because some programs are needed at boot such as AV, Nvidia support, etc. That is also the list Sesquashtoo followed after tuning UTX toonone the less, I will get a settings list posted with Nhancer tweaks later today:)

Nick, I'm on XP SP2 and my PC was custom built for me. It's at least 3 years old and I just recently installed the 2.8Ghz chip. I had a 2.4 but saw that GEXen had a minimum requirement of 2.6Ghz. I tried Enhancer earlier but didn't see any improvement. Probably didn't work with it long enough. I will re-download it. My flights are and have been stutter free and I am pretty happy with it if I can get 15 fps. You're right in that it's not the fps it's the smoothness and blurry free experience that counts. Until I installed UTX I didn't have blurried views so I guess it will come down to tweeking the rig to get as much out of it as I can or just not using UTX. When you post your list I will set it up and follow it. I'll be out of town tomorrow all day but I will get on it on Monday if not late Sunday night. Thanks for all of your help.

Guest Nick_N

Ok Steve... yes, I would like you to try Nhancer again. Sometimes you dont realize what something may be providing until you load the system down and then you may be able to see the results.You are on a slower system and there will be limits because of that. UTX is a wonderful product especially if you are into VFR... like me :)Have a safe trip Steve and we can continue when you return. I wont get the list posted till later today.EDIT.. I just noticed you did not post the TRAFFIC tab... could you get that one posted for me?

Guest Nick_N

Ahhhh OKThanks for letting me know that as it would have made a differenceI can tell you that even on my quad and DDR3 system, I keep replaced traffic at 59% 70 is still pushing QUITE a bit on yours.20% on cars is way too high I am afraid... that with UTX it adds car traffic that must be about 5-8% MAX on yours ... I run mine at 15%edit.. and drop it to 10 in LA or NYC

Guest Nick_N

OK Steve, sorry it took so long but here is your list...First, please make sure the following Hyperthread/Dual Core hotfix is applied to Windows before continuinghttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=enand you are indeed fully updated for DirectX:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=enrebootHere is what I would like you to try. Please be advised this is a process and the results may need to be tweaked. I have raised some of your settings and lowered others. Lets see how it pans out and adjust from there.Please do the following.Install and run the latest version of Nhancer. It does NOT need to boot with Windows or have a tray icon since the service runs in the background and will properly influence the settings. When it is first run select NO to have it run with Windows or have it place an icon on the tray. With any driver above 163.xx Nhancer can no longer delete the profiles as it did in the past, instead the way you OVERRIDE the FSX and FS9 profiles is do the following: NOTE: you can see IMAGES of the following settings at the BOTTOM of this thread: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...?TID=25186&PN=1a. Scroll down the profile list until you find the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (or) Microsoft Flight Simulator X profile. Click on it once to highlight it. Once it is highlighted, click the DUPLICATE button. You will get a message, select YES to complete the duplication. What that will do is DEACTIVATE the Nvidia profile and ACTIVATE your new duplicate. b. With the new profile in the list, make sure there is a bullet in PROFILE on the right. Go down the list on the right and select the following: AA: For FSX select SUPERSAMPLING and 8xS (use 8xS Steve)NOTE: Slower cards and systems in FSX, set to MUTISAMPLING and 4X or SUPERSAMPLING and 4xS Under the next box, check GAMMA CORRECTION DO NOT ENABLE THE SECOND SUPERSAMPLE FEATURE IN THIS AREA UNCHECK "ENHANCED AA" if it is checked by default AF: CHECKED Bullet in: 16X VERTICAL SYNC: CHECKED, Bullet in: FORCE ON OPTIMIZATIONS Tab: Texture Filtering CHECKED Bullet in - High Quality Trilinear Opt CHECKED, Bullet in - Off Aniso. sample opt. CHECKED, Bullet in - Off Negative LOD BIAS, CHECKED, Bullet in - Clamp Check the next three items but do not change their values COMPATABILITY TAB: Place a CHECK in all header values but only change the following if needed: Force Mip-Maps = NONE Conformant Texture Clamp = ON Hi Dynamic Range HDR (Enabled)All others should be at their default values. Under the CPU Multicore Support, REGARDLESS OF THE TYPE OF CPU YOU USE: FOR WINDOWSXP SET CPU TO SINGLE FOR WINDOWS VISTA SET CPU TO MULTICORE Repeat the above for any other game profile as you may need it. c. In the main Nhancer Window, set the bullet to GLOBAL Set the SAME settings on GLOBAL as you did above. Close Nhancer and reboot. d. Open the Nivida Control panel (right click desktop, select Nvidia Control Panel) Show the ADVANCED settings. Under Managed 3D, make sure the Multi Display Mixed GPU is set to SINGLE DISPLAY MODE if you are ONLY using one video card and monitor. If you use more than one, leave the setting on default Confirm Vertical Sync is indeed set to FORCE ONClick APPLY. FOR LCD: Under

Guest Nick_N

Steve.. let me know how this works out and if you are seeing positive changes. If is still giving you some trouble post what you are seeing and what you found while testing the above suggestions.

Nick, Thanks for the info. I will be work on this this evening. I should have told you the following, however: 1) I have a single core 2.8Ghz P4 so the hyperthread/dual core is N/A. 2) I have a 19" CRT 3) I do not use the virtual cockpit 4) I always fly the 2D cockpit in Full Screen mode 5) I use a free commercial defrag program (can't remember the name right now) and not the XP version. I defrag at least every 2 days.I have downloaded Nhancer and will follow your instructions on it.Again, thanks for all the help. I will let you know how these changes work out.Steve