Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

GEX + UTX = Something Not Right

Guest Nick_N

Steve... Hyperthread is single core. Its part of the P4 single core architecture. Look up your processor and see if it lists HYPERTHREAD support. if it does, use the update. I am sure it does but do confirm.Advice.. FSX and 2D: Many reports of loss in performance with 2D in FSX. I do not know the technical reasons but I find VC is much more performant. That is of course up to you. The Beaver is probably the best designed aircraft in FSX. Both for realistic VC and flight dynamics.On the CRT, make sure it is set to a SCREEN REFRESH RATE of at least 85Hz (min). Higher is better. If the monitor is capable of higher without forcing, use the higher refresh rate. Located under DISPLAY PROPERTIES - ADVANCED - MONITOR TAB (check IN "hide modes this monitor can not disply" then use the dropdown.. click apply the desktop may resize a bit)If its currently set to less than 85, and, 85 is avilable in the dropdown, use 85. If its alread set to 85 or above, leave it.If you use my tune-up list and make the registry edits you must use O&O. If you do not do the registry edits you can use another defrag however the results will not be anywhere near the same.

Nick, Not a lot of time tonight to work on it but I did download both the MS Hyperthread hotfix and the DirectX update. I also downloaded the O&O v8.5 defrag and ran my C drive through it. I will reboot now and try to get the other stuff done tomorrow.Steve

Guest Nick_N

Take your time Steve.. Life come first, then simmingwait, scratch that, reverse it:)

Nick, I followed your instructions to the "T". See attached. WOW. Not 100% perfect as in dual core stuff but just WOW. I haven't even done your REGEDIT stuff yet -- just what you pointed out above. This flight was out of Naples, FL again and now at 3-4,000 ft it is so real. I had the fps locked at 24 and was getting 23.9 looking out of my 2D cockpit (see pic #1). In the spot view it was a little less (18.9 or so) but who's complaining??? Thanks a million. I will be doing the rest of your "fixes" later in the week when I can get about 2 hours to do them. I'll report back then.

Guest Nick_N

Now we are getting somewherehe he heIf you use the -right method- to trim and set up FSX with the right addons... FSX will work very well for youAlthough that dual core patch will help your system the majority of the issue was simply settings that needed to get in balance.if you think thats good... wait till you finish the other threadEnjoy Steve and if you have any questions, fire away:)EDIT: By the way, once you complete the optimize list try raising the scenery complexity to 100%. You can probably handle it at that point but you must test to find out. More than likely you will leave the settings where they are and just enjoy better frames and clearer flight but do test and see how it fairs.You may also be able to raise water to 2XLOW

Nick, I couldn't get the pic any larger due to Avsim's size limitation but if you look at the spot view above, what are the dark grey lines (roads) parallel to the UTX roads? In the forground it looks like there are 2 roads in parallel -- one dark and one light.

Guest Nick_N

Looks like waterways.. stream, canal.. UTX adds those. It will also add dry stream beds too

Guest Nick_N

Thats what UTX is all about.. it makes VFR much more realistic... If a canal or stream is part of the real world, UTX adds it and you can follow that from the air just like you can follow the roadsIt corrects rivers, shores, streams, roads, etc