Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Avsim, please open a payware discussion forum

One comment to Brian, Tom, Gofia, Holger and whoever I missed in this thread that contribute so much to FlightSim:Your patience, integrity and thick skin always amazes me. I fear that I might say something that would make me liable if I were in your shoes, or somebody would punch me in the nose (biggest coward on earth).As an old CFI of days past, I have two reactions to the many contributions you and those like you offer to those that enjoy FlightSim so much:The first is that one of these days, I will post something that gets me in trouble (may already have, but have forgotten what it was). If so, I assure you that I will tuck my tail between my legs with probably what will be a very justified apology (Probably already have done that also).The second is that I might contribute something of value. That my posts and replies might have helped someone else to enjoy this passion as much as I do and that I might never say anything that would discourage others toward that end. Were that all that is said built up FlightSim rather than tear it down in any way.Even more is the hope that someday before I die of old age, some entity that contributes so much would review my posts and replies and request that I help in some fashion as a beta tester, or even a minor contributor in the development of something for FlightSim that others would value. (Bet I am not alone in such a dream world).I do not disagree with the original poster relative to the possibility of a payware forum, but probably for totally different reasons (a little like a library for FSX only). However, I would be the first to admit that I have no feeling whatsoever for the logistics and complications envolved in originating more forums.Guys, just know that many do appreciate your contributions, efforts, and help!Respectfully:RTH

Hi Brian,"And it is hard to just brush off all the complaints and ranting we get leveled at us constantly, these volunteers who take their own time to try against all odds to make this a good place for flight simmers to come. "While I have no difficulty understanding your frustration and have tons of respect for anyone volunteering to moderate a public forum I see a bit of a double standard here. On the one hand you lump people like Jay and Nick, who volunteer their time and skills to a commercial project, into the "commercial developers class" yet on the other hand you bring up the "we're just volunteers" card every time someone points a finger at the moderators.AVSIM is not a charitable organization, it's a business just like commercial developers and publishers are. Whether you guys get paid or not is between you and your employer. You represent the public face of this business and thus presenting yourself as unsung heroes while holding other groups of volunteers to different standards isn't helpful, IMO. Cheers, Holger