Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

AVG showing Trojan Horse

I just downloaded Fairchild C123B SCA Air Cargo N402GB,File, sca_c123b_v2.zip byVladimir Zhyhulskiy, Garrett Smith.I imagine this is a AVG problem but when I try to unzip the file AVG gives me a Trojan horse message.Trojan horse SHeur.AVTG in SCA_C123B.exe.Is anyone else having this problem? I am sure that all the files would have been checked by AVSIM, but just wanted to be sure.Thanks. Mac

Don't trust AVG, it's known to produce a LOT of false positives.

Guest Nils79

I downloaded it too and the files seems to me clean.The airplanes of Vladimir Zhyhulskiy are absolutely great. Download also his An-2, if you haven't already.You only have to "repair" the glass and prop textures like described in Phil's blog, if you are using XPack or SP2.

I have also heard the lastest AVG update is giving the same false positives when installing 9Dragons (sorry, no Trojans in our software, only dragons!)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

"I am sure that all the files would have been checked by AVSIM, but just wanted to be sure."I am posting this just to make sure everyone understands what AVSIM does when it receives a file upload, so that there are no misunderstandings and too much reliance put on AVSIM to protect you.When an author or contributor uploads a file our system "disassembles" it automatically. It is checked for known virus', Trojans, etc. It is then approved (or not) by the system and placed in a temporary location until such time as our library managers can approve the file. Once it is approved, it is publicly posted for downloading. Our managers DO NOT physically download the file and check it. We just do not have the time to do that.What is the weakest link in this process? Our database of the bad things that can be detected. We download these databases on a regular basis, however, there is plenty of opportunity for a new threat to occur and find its way into a file before our database is updated to detect it.In short and very much bluntly stated; it is YOUR responsibility to check each file you download using your detection software of choice (as you appear to have done). We try to provide you some added insurance, but at the end of the day, all users should practice "safe downloading" and check all files newly acquired.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Sorry, but I think this is bad advice.You should trust your antivirus software, and if you cannot trust it, then you should replace it with anti-virus software that you CAN trust.What you should not do is blindly install software from unknowable sources when your antivirus software is warning you that the .exe contains a trojan.Anyone who tells you to do that does not have your computer's good health in mind.If the .exe a developer produces results in anti-virus warnings, it's up to the developer to work that out. The developer, with the best of intentions, may not realize that their own systems are compromised. If it's a false positive, the developer has means to contact the antivirus vendor to determine why that occurred.Keep in mind, I'm not casting aspersions on this particular developer - because I can't know whether his software actually is infected. The moral of that story is that neither can you.