Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Apartment buildings around Heathrow??

I've been flying in North America with Autogen Buildings set to zero and quite liking the effect.To my surprise, as I flew from Amsterdam to London, on the approach to Heathrow, lots of apartment buildings came into view, see picture.Are the Autogen rules different in the UK?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185844.jpg

Bert

Bert,Believe it or not, the UK is a lot smaller than North America therefore, theres not as much room to erect buildings.You should pop over and see for yourself eh? ;)After the new runway is built beside 27R, Heathrow will be the new Kia Tak!

Dave Taylor gb.png

That does seem strange. Are you sure that you didn't amend the autogen slider at some point before you got to London?

Hello Bert,How have you set autogen buildings to zero? Is it with the parameter in the fsx cfg file?Those are not normal autogen buildings in the image, but rather polyline buildings. Perhaps they are not affected by the cfg entry. Have you tried turning down the autogen slider?Best regards.Luis

>It's not strange at all, except in how closely it depicts the>actual airport in real life. I give you Heathrow:>Well it is strange when the autogen has been set to zero.;)

Hi Luis,OK, if they are a different kind of building, I guess they react differently to the fsx.cfg entry. I'm sure I can make them disappear if I turn down the Autogen slider (I typically have it set to "normal").No problem, they look nice and "real".. I was just surprised to see them appear after not seeing a lot of buildings anywhere else.

Bert

As Luis points out there are several different types of buildings in FS.Autogen of courseThere are custom objects like Buckingham Palace and many airport terminals.There are also many places where the same type buildings as generated by autogen are individually placed.The other types are controlled by the scenery density slider, not the autogen slider.

Aha !I've got scenery density set to Extremely High... hence the many apartment complexes !!Thanks !

Bert

Hello Bert,Polyline buildings are autogen, and their density is controlled through the Autogen slider, NOT the Scenery Complexity slider.In order to avoid confusion, here is the breakdown:Autogen - vegetation - library objects, placed as autogen (fast food, gas stations, condominiums, industrial buildings, etc.) - normal autogen buildings - row houses - polyline buildings (with a central courtyard)All autogen density is controlled through the Autogen slider. The polyline buildings are new to FS X, and so their behavior is not precisely the same as the normal buildings, probably due to the development rush. This might explain why they are not limited by the entry in the cfg file.Autogen buildings are created automatically, not necessarily identically from one flight to the next.Advanced (generic) buildingsThese buildings use generic textures and are hand-coded using a simple language (see the SDK). Mostly, the code for this type of object can be found in the OBX (Obstruction or Object) files. Their density is controlled through the Scenery Complexity slider.Library objectsThe buildings in object libraries are either custom-made terminals or landmarks such as skycrapers or other notable buildings. Each of these objects was modeled by an artist who also painted the textures. They are located in the different object library bgls for the different cities and also in the Global scenery folder. Their density is controlled through the Scenery Complexity slider.So, it is useless to turn down the Scenery Complexity slider if you want to limit the amount of polyline buildings.Best regards.Luis

I Luis-To answer your question above-I also run with all autogen buildings turned off-in this thread along with a shot of how it looks. It is set in the fsx.cfg.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=437448&page=3I also have run into buildings like this-despite the autogen buildings being set to zero.I've only seen this in Europe.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Bert,The buildings in your screenshot in the first post are present in my FS - but only when the Autogen Slider is set to the lowest level - Sparse - or higher.The Scenery Desity slider controls a lot of buildings in the London area - but not those.The ones in your screen shot are definitely Autogen - a heck of a lot of them are present at the lowest Autogen level around London.

Thanks all who responded... lots of new things to learn here :-)

Bert

I myself am not a fan of these randon polyline buildings. They are too repetative in nature and as such look unrealistic. Does anyone know if they are defined in the Default.xml and therefore could be excluded by editing this file? If that is the case, then any idea what name is associated to these buildings?Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Thanks for the confirmation, Geof. Those courtyard buildings are region-specific and do not appear in the U.S. I get them here in the Caribbean, but have gotten rid of them by making a new region file.Using the entry in the cfg file will not eliminate them, it seems. As you might remember during the beta, there were a number of faults with this type of building, and they still do not behave like the other normal autogen buildings. Too bad, because they are performance killers.The only way to eliminate them is to either set the Autogen slider to Off, or to remove (or edit) the extrusions.xml file, but that will also eliminate things like fences and bridges.Best regards.Luis