Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

Runway Lights...

Guest byoung

I am getting weird glowing box shapes around my runway, taxi, VASI lights.I am using nHancer for my NVIDIA video card. Any ideas what to check in FSX or nHancer?Thanks!Barry

Guest fsxmissionguy

This is most likely not an nHancer problem, but rather that an add-on has altered the halo.bmp file. I've seen some unfortunately-designed missions available for download that resulted in this.

Guest byoung

I'll check my filedate and size on my halo.bmp, and maybe search my hard drive for it. Is there a good freeware replacement that I can try? Or, is there away to extract that file from the FSX DVDs? Please advise.Thanks for your help!Barry

Guest fsxmissionguy

Well, you could run the Repair option. (There may be a way to extract a single file, but I'm unaware of it.)Myself, I use a halo.bmp from Shockwave Productions as part of their 3d lights program. It's relatively cheap, and provides a look you can't get with the default lights.

Guest byoung

I have played with some of the Runway Light Scalar Settings, such as setting to as low as 0.25... It is better but I still have those annoying rectangles around the taxi, VASI and runway lights. Any ideas how to fix this? Does the Shockwave Productions lighting have this same problem? I would be willing to purchse it if I was certain it would fix the problem.Thanks!Barry

Barry, the most likely cause of the "rectangles" is a missing/not found texture file used by the effects engine.Add the following two entries to your fsx.cfg file in the {SCENERY} section (use square brackets instead of the curly braces of course):{SCENERY}MissingLibraryAlert=1ShowMissingTextureAlert=1The next time you start FSX, if there are any mising texture files you will get a popup Message Box letting you know which one(s) they are.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest byoung

Hi Bill,I added the lines you included in your thread, launched FSX, and no pop-up messages displayed.Any other ideas?Thanks!Barry

>Hi Bill,>>I added the lines you included in your thread, launched FSX,>and no pop-up messages displayed.>>Any other ideas?Shoot... Well, leave those entries in your fsx.cfg for possible future problems.Have you installed anything that may have altered the fx_2.bmp file in the ..EffectsTexture folder?The default file is in DXT1 16bit format. If it's been "replaced" by some add-on, it may well be your problem...

Fr. Bill    

Guest byoung

Hi Bill,I have kind of been fooling around with texture replacements, but I am not sure exactly which one may have caused the problem. Maybe I can get the default ones from you or someone?? I think something overlayed the file.Is that the only file that would be impacted?Can you give me the file attributes, size, date, time of the fx_2.bmp you have? I wish there was away to pull it off of the FSX DVD as a single file, not having to do a repair! Yes the good ol days of cab files :)Thanks!Barry

fx_2.bmp 42.7 KB Wednesday, July 26, 2006, 10:41:20 PM

Fr. Bill