Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hedgehog

"OOM Error" explained in comprehensible English

>Bill: Thanks for the quick reply...Can you explain to a real>newbie exactly how to enable the switch? What file do I edit>and exactly what do I enter? I have 4gb of ram and will be>using Vista Ultimate...I will be installing both SP1 and>SP2...768mb nvidea 8800 gtx video card...This will be a fresh>install of FSX on a new computer...Thanks for your>patience...Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find it under "Programs->Accessories->Command prompt" click right and select "run as administrator".Enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560" (without quotes) in the command window and press enter.You will get a Dialog Box that will let you know that it was accepted.After that restart windows.To reset the Increased User Adressspace just start the commandline prompt with Admin right again and enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Hedgehog

Thanks again...I feel like I am learning the whole FS world over again! Keeps me young, I guess...Steve

Guest cseidel

How do you go about editing the FSX. exe file. I want to add the line into my file so that I can use more memory in SP1.Chuck

>How do you go about editing the FSX. exe file. I want to add>the line into my file so that I can use more memory in SP1.This is getting rather circular... ;)See my answer to your question in your original post! :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

BillI've just recently completed a brand new computer build.I'm using Vista Home Basic 64bit osAsus P5N-D moboIntel Q6600 Quad Core Processor4 gigs ocz memoreyBFG 8800 GTS 512mb OC cardtwo seagate 500mb hd's in a raid 0 array(os on one drive....fsx on the other)I've added world of ai and seahawk/jayhawk.Did some normal aircraft addon's from this site as well as flightsimI've done no tweaking.Since this is a dedicated fsx system, there is no anti-virus installed.(It's not for surfing the net/email etc etc.)Normal windows firewall and windows defender.I'm still a work in progress here in setting up flight controlls etc.I did a clean fresh install of fsx with accel plus sp'sSorry if this in a bit long for two questions, just wanted to give you my base line so to speak.My questions are these?Do I need to tell my system to use more vas for fsx or has it been done already?Just how much does fsx use of the vas on a 64bit os?Thank you for your timeRegardsErnest

As long as you are on a 64-bit OS, you should not care at all about VAS and flying FSX. Only if you still use FS9.exe or FSX.exe SP1 you should make these programs >2Gb aware with the examples given in this thread or a few similar around. FSX SP2 exe is >2Gb aware already, so you shouldn't CHANGE anything neither in your OS or FSX.

>Thank you for the reply.>>Regards>ErnestYes, what Dirk said... ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest Hedgehog

Anyone: I have tried to apply the "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072" patch per the instructions...I get a message: "Could not apply this boot edit store; Access denied"...What am I doing wrong? Thanks...

>Anyone: I have tried to apply the "BCDEDIT /set>increaseuserva 3072" patch per the instructions...I get a>message: "Could not apply this boot edit store; Access>denied"...What am I doing wrong? Thanks...Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find it under "Programs->Accessories->Command prompt" click right and select "run as administrator".

Fr. Bill    

Guest Hedgehog

Duhhh...Got it!...Thanks, Bill

Guest dpiedrahita

Could you please explain how to make FS9 LARGEADDRESSAWARE? I'm sure you already have, but obviously I've missed something and I've re-read the stuff about 5 times. I keep getting OOM errors on approach and final. I enabled the /3GB switch. I am absolutely FED UP and have not been able to complete a flight in about two weeks. Your help, and patience, are greatly appreciated. :-)

The easy way is to download a program called CFF Explorer from :-http://www.download.com/CFF-Explorer/3000-...4-10431156.html After you've saved and installed it - launch it, browse to and "open" fsx.exe: you will need to select "exe" in the "Files of type" (in the bottom left corner). You will see presented a "tree" of files and folders: select "file Header". In the right pane you will see a pink box marked "Click here".... so click there... and a new window will open up called "Characteristics". Halfway down is a check box with the caption "App can handle >2gb addressest". Check the box.Done!"I've re-read the stuff about 5 times." - So did I, and I actually found the full explanation on the MD80 website. It is a two-step process, but it's not very clearly articulated.This WILL, however, fix your OOM issue.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest dpiedrahita

Thank you VERY much, PJ. I did all that, so I'll give it a test to see if it works. I think I'm going to do a long flight in the 747.

Guest dpiedrahita

Paul,Well I did as instructed and get a bglman.dll error. It's a Trojan installed by Cloud9 to validate purchase (I have their EHAM scenery). It gives me a "cannot be found and will be disabled" type error, but prevents me from opening FS9. If I change the app enable back to 2GB it's fine... Ideas?