Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Why won't LOD_RADIUS stick?

I've been trying to set my LOD_RADIUS to 6.5 in the cfg but it doesn't stay, it defaults back to 4.5 once you change ANY settings within FSX.I set it, and save it as a flight and a cfg, but say if you change the value you lock your FPS at, it will reload everything, thus defaulting LOD radius to 4.5Is there anyway to set it and be able to change other settings while on the fly?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No, Ryan, this is the maximum value that the developers recommend because of hardware limitations, so it will always be set back to Large (4.5) if the cfg file has to be re-written.It is easy enough to get around this limitation by: - not making any modifications to settings in game; - or, always changing the cfg value before flying.However, this tweaking can mostly be avoided if people will simply ensure the following: 1. anisotropic filtering is enabled and the highest level supported is functioning. Generally, this will give very good results, and avoids having to saturate memory with extended scenery loading; 2. either get a better video card that implements anisotropic filtering more efficiently or try a different driver; 3. get a monitor with higher screen resolution. The higher the screen resolution, the more details are displayed.Overall, these 3 practical solutions will give more than satisfactory results, and spare memory for other FS tasks.Best regards.Luis

Thanks for your comments...I did just recently install a new video card (see siggy)And while I cranked up the AA to 16x and AF to 16x it help a lot, but I still don't see 1.2m textures fully loaded JUST off my wings.... with the 6.5 the texture loading is much better and with my zoom level everything appears crisp and sharp....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This drives me nuts that we cannot have this value!!!ARRRRGGGHHH!!If I am achieving 20FPS in a rural area I expect my scenery to be loaded a couple of miles in front of me. It is not so....Does this drive anyone else as nuts as me???

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Guest NoobPilot

It really does. I have some screenshots of myself doing 30 in a piper cub with stuff about 200m in front of me still not loaded, with LOD set to high. Yes, I said 30. 5% fuel, 114 lb pilot (my own weight) and no cargo. No wind either IIRC.

The only way I've managed to work with this is to have separate cfg files for different types of flying. I have folders named GA Rural, LVLD767, GA Urban etc that contain cfg files with the right combination of Autogen tweaks etc (including my prefered LOD of 7.0). Once I decide what type of flight I want I just copy over the current cfg with one from these folders.I've found the ONLY way to get crisp textures far enough out is to use the LOD tweak. It does tend to saturate RAM a bit, and flights take a little longer to load, but it's worth it. From what I've read, those with faster CPU's probably don't suffer this as much and leave there LOD radius at default.

Guest roddymod

FSX has the ability to save your settings and then load the ones you want when setting up a flight. This way you could save a cfg with Lod-Radius set at 6.5000 and FPS locked at 30fps and save other cfg's with different settings.As long as you don't try and change any parameter within the saved cfg the Lod_Rdius setting will not default.Rod.

>FSX has the ability to save your settings and then load the>ones you want when setting up a flight. This way you could>save a cfg with Lod-Radius set at 6.5000 and FPS locked at>30fps and save other cfg's with different settings.>As long as you don't try and change any parameter within the>saved cfg the Lod_Rdius setting will not default.>>Rod. Ahh...yes. That sounds a much better idea. Have to check out what parameters are saved within FSX.Thanks Rod

>The only way I've managed to work with this is to have>separate cfg files for different types of flying. I have>folders named GA Rural, LVLD767, GA Urban etc that contain cfg>files with the right combination of Autogen tweaks etc>(including my prefered LOD of 7.0). Once I decide what type of>flight I want I just copy over the current cfg with one from>these folders.>>I've found the ONLY way to get crisp textures far enough out>is to use the LOD tweak. It does tend to saturate RAM a bit,>and flights take a little longer to load, but it's worth it.>From what I've read, those with faster CPU's probably don't>suffer this as much and leave there LOD radius at default.>ahhh, so with LVLD767 cfg you essentially put all sliders to the left ;)heheYeah I do have two cfg's, one with 6.5, but sometimes I forgot that I have it set and say I want to go to another destination via the select airport window, the cfg file will default back to 4.5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |