Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Can Anyone Offer a VISTA Tune-Up List Like Nick's XP List?

If anyone has read Nick's XP Optimization List... you have to be impressed not only with the list ... but with the positive responses.I am in dual boot and finished diddling with the DX-10 preview and wanted to cash in on the "XP performance advantage." But I decided that it was to huge of a project to move 100 plus gigs and including who knows how many addons.So, as most of us are not gurus, is it possible someone has gone to the trouble Nick has to tune Vista?I downloaded Alacrity PC ... but I haven't got it figured out yet. Its not as straight forward as FSAutostart, IMHO. I have shut down some services, thanks to Blackviper.But there has to be more. I don't expect the XP advantage, but just to get the best possible Vista performance before tweaking the sim itself.If you have done this and will post... you will win the MVP award for Vista as Nick has for XP.Thank you very much,Steve

P.S. If you haven't seen Nick's list, it is located on the thread:"I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!"

Guest Nick_N

I have a Vista list.. but I am in the middle of other things right now and since SP1 was released some of the items are getting re-evaluated.Vista is not going to tune like XP simply because of the complete and total domination it has over the partition which was one of the key elements to gaining CPU cycles back in optimzing the XP installFurther, I don

Hello Nick,How do you think about O&O Defrag Professional 10.0 with Windows Vista. Can you see the same problems with version 10.0 you are described in the thread above?So, is it better to use O&O Defrag Professional 8.6 with Vista?Patric

Guest Nick_N

You must use v10 with vista8.6 wont run

Thanks a lot, Jim... However, I just gave up on VISTA two hours ago.Possibly someone else will appreciate that page.

That settled it, Nick...Not only is everyone reporting 5 to 15% better performance on XP, but Vista doesn't like my overclock strategy. I can't get above 3.6 ghz with my E6700 in Vista, but I'm up to 3.75 on XP with no problems.Two hours ago, I finished (if you can believ this) just over 100 gigs of FSX stuff. Now everyone please pray to God with me that I haven't lost the registration keys, License codes, passwords, Flight1 Wrappers, etc. I don't want to have to buy a lot of stuff again. Already I can't find my copy of Shockwave redux lights. Sheesh! But I've made the XP plunge, and I'll soon be using your list, Nick. Thanks much.SteveI'm looking for a good fresh install guideline list. I'm assuming I should run OO defrag prior to the first install, then again, then Accelleration, and then again. I'm going to search the forum now. Any ideas, anyone?

Guest Nick_N

Steve... Flight1 has an automatic system to send you your codes.. no worries

Hello Nick, Thanks for your answer. But I must say you can run the version 8.6 with Vista. The version 8.6 is the Vista-compatible version of the 8.5 version.The question is if the problems you have described with version 10.0 are the same with version 8.6?Patric

Guest Nick_N

One of my 'senior' moments.. I apparently did not completely comprehend the question and my response should have said v8.5 would not run. v8.6 did not register correctly in my head when I read what you asked. LOLv8.6 I never used. It was on the market for a very short period of time before v10 was released. So to tell you the truth, I simply do not know. I would have to install it, run a COMPLETENAME defrag twice to ensure a valid test, then use the O&O cluster inspector feature (click on several sector display box in the data zone) to see if data is compacted by the software, or, if the software leaves free space between the sectors/files. If the cluster inspector displays no white empty slack space between files then it works the same as 8.5. If it does leave slack space it works the same a v10.

Hello Nick,I've installed the 8.6 version with Vista Home Premium 32bit. I run the COMPLETE/NAME defrag method two times. Then I've checked several clusters with the cluster inspector. Many clusters look like this screenshot:image1nx0.jpgWhite spaces are never to be seen. So I think the 8.6 version works like the 8.5 version. What do you think?

Guest Nick_N

I would appear so.. That is how the 8.5 clusters would be optimized.The only problem is Vista will not allow the software 'full' access to the MFT or move the locked areas of the partitionSo the file order without the slack space is definitely a plus!But the amount of optimizing it gives you compare to XP is and will always will be limited because of how VISTA locks certain parts of the partition and does not allow anything access.Still, what you have there is better than most products.

Nick ... if you are out there ...I loved your back to the Dark Side animation. In my effort to go back to the XP dark side I am taking my time. I have two 320 g Seagate drives. Primary is C where XP/page file is located.I am planning to install FSX on second drive desginated J .The machine is in dual boot. Vista 32 bit is still on drive J. For now I would like to leave the Vista OS system installed on drive J. It only consumes about 25 gigs. Mostly because if and when another game comes along with DX 10 that is good ... or if I buy Cyris or whatever, I could still use Vista.But for now... I have carefully and to the letter followed your XP guide. I have not installed FSX yet on Drive J [coming in from Drive C with XP, of course]. I have gone through the name defrag step. By the way I really really like OO Defrag.I thought I would stop there with my defragging and go ahead and begin the FSX, Accelleration install.My question is this. I want to do this right. But I don't want to overkill my time with the defrags.So could you please give me the sequence you would use on defragging the J drive. I mean when would you stop and use your defrag steps... both the Space Defrag and the Name defrag.Here are the biggies I have to install:FSXAccelerationUTXGEXNh (Should they be in that order to avoid some of the file changes to one or the other?FEXASXFTX for AustraliaFSGENesis LandclassAll of the Mesh plus version 2 updatesScenery Tech Land classX gaphicsNumerous sceneries:Megascenery: SOCAL, Hawaii, LasVegasFreeware: Several, serval including Vancouver and Victoria PlusAirplanes too numerous to mentionSome utilities, including FSDiscoverMisc small items, I may have forgotten just now.Please tell me when I should defrag and with which kinds of defrags. One thing I may have missed in the marathon "Wow" post was whether that long defrag process had to be completed prior to a "fresh" install. And then at what times during the installation and addon process should defrag happen and what kinds.Thank you kindly for your help, you are most gracious.Steve