Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

If you are NOT playing around with DX10 Preview...GET RID OF...

Sure, I can see some justification for some level of discontent. And I am pretty up-front about acknowledging that, and even dialoging to it instead of running away. I mean, I am pleading with McCrash to properly register himself so he doesnt get booted on a technicality. Because I do think open dialog is important and constructive.And if it is fair to be repeatedly negative, I do think it is fair to ask if the level of negativity is really justifiied, where the same issues get thrown out over and over? What about being an adult, getting your point out, and then moving on?Or do we have to do this repeatedly for the next n years before FS11?

>>You can argue the historic precedent...whether the context is>in simulation or buying commercial software in general. Many>of us had work to do to configure fs5 during the days of>dos...tweaking EMM386 or QEMM386 for one :)Very good post and yes that type of knowledge has been needed for FS for a long time, at least going back to FS5.0.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Phil, I agree the continuation of extreme negatives is a problem. In fact, musing on that problem prompted my post above.I was musing on how your tone had changed a bit...in a good way. I can't put my finger on it...vulnerability perhaps...more human somehow.I think the negativity became institutional when this un-expected need for systems knowledge was given inadequate empathy by both Aces and users like me who gave responses like, "FSX works great for me".There's a pendulum that swings back and forth...you can see it in this thread, folks are negative to the extreme, then other folks are positive to the extreme. Back and forth.The pendulum stops swinging when both exteme positions relax, and its important for this to start unilaterally, or it doesn't start.Perhaps you started the relaxation here in this thread... it seems like providing the people having problems with respect and empathy would help a lot. There are likely a dozen other good ideas that could sprout once the extremes of the positions relax.Those of you that are frustrated, folks that tend to bash fsx strongly, .... can you see a benefit in relaxing your position and finding middle ground? Hang in there,Bob

Guest Nick_N

PhilThis seems like a good opportunity with subject of the thread and what some have expressed a few posts above to touch base on the philosophy behind development for the market and hardware.I posted on your blog about that, comparing systems and performance/issues, and, what your typical customer finds so difficult to deal with about the product.I am also of the opinion that the design of the MSFS product does not take enough into consideration the typical customer. I also think your market would grow and become much more prosperous if the time were taken to develop for

Nick, I think you are correct in assessing customer expectations. I am an ex-Air Force pilot and I have the simulator to enjoy just a bit of the flying experience. I don't want to spend hours and hours tweaking just to get the sim to work. Now, if MS says I need a certain program like netframe or fsuipc to run FS, that is reasonable and I need to take the steps to install those programs. What is not reasonable is that I have a fairly up to date machine and I could not complete a simple flight using default aircraft and scenery with a rather common video card and the latest wHQL drivers. Now, I know I'm not the only one, just take a trip over to the CTD forum and there are lots of similar problems listed. It wasn't until I followed the steps outlined by Nick in the use of nHancer that I finally eliminated the problem of lockups. Problem solved for me, but think of the new user who just bought FSX and doesn't even know about this forum.Dale

Dale

Mitch-I would try it all once more, but this time, defrag your hard drive, preferably with O&O "Complete Name" after you uninstall FSX, then run a registry cleaning program like Registry Mechanic and sweep out all of the crap undoubtedly still hanging around in your registry. There will be a ton of errors, I'm sure. Reboot.Turn off EVERYTHING before you install FSX again, except your internet connection, then install FSX. Reboot and install SP1. Reboot and install SP2. Run O&O defrag again, run Registry Mechanic again, then install your add-ons. Run O&O and the registry cleaner once more, THEN try and fly.Way back when someone pointed out the importance of installing FSX on a clean quiet system, free of the registry errors of previous installs and the corrupting influence of antivirus software and unnecessary utilities running in the background during installation. It worked for me, and aside form certain 3rd party incompatibilities, FSX seems to perform just fine on my Dell XPS Gen 5 Dual-Core 3.2 GHz (overclocked to 3.4GHz) running through an nVidia 8800 GTS card and 3 GHz of RAM (soon to be 4)in Windows XP/SP2 DX9.0c.It's a pain to do it all again, but I think you have no other choice. You'll be missing out when just about all future add-ons require FSX/SP2 to work.Just My 2 Cents,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Nice shots, its looks stuning but DONT FORGET this is FTX and not the deafult fsx landscape, its nice because FTX!!!

>Don't you love the daily troll?Its nice to have you back Jeroen. I realy love your trolls.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

There is only one question in my mind regarding FSx - and therefore regarding the future of the Sim franchise itself.That is - while understanding that people who frequent this forum and others like it have the opportunity to get advice but still have difficulties after availing themselves of that opportunity, I wonder just how many people (thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?) purchased the original FSx on release, found that it simply didn't work for them on their 1 gig CPU machine with 32 meg vid RAM (as advertised on the back of the box) and which also didn't work for their friend who had a system twice as powerful as theirs with a 2 gig CPU and 64 meg vid RAM. I guess they probably would have thrown it in the back of the cupboard and said "I'll never get one of those again - and I'll let all my friends know what a POS it was." They probably, not being a frequenter of these forums, have never even heard of SP1 and SP2 - much less are able or wiling to carry out the highly tech requirements needed to get it all working ( what!- I have to buy a fancy defrag programme - something called O & O?? just to install this thing?? :-) )I am not "knocking" the programme or the franchise or the programmers involved - just a bit amazed really and wondering what the impact of it will be for the future of Simming? Barry

Last time I checked, the download counts for SP1 are at least 50% of the entire sales figures. So from that data it appears the FS franchise has a higher percent of "with it" users than many suspect.The future of FS is not at risk, no matter what the "gloom and doom" crowd say.With that said, yes we learned a few things from FSX about back-compat, configurability, and hw requirements.

Guest Nick_N

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :-beerchug

>Last time I checked, the download counts for SP1 are at least>50% of the entire sales figures. So from that data it appears>the FS franchise has a higher percent of "with it" users than>many suspect.>Depends on whether that's unique users or includes repeat downloads (and to what extent) of course.But yes, it's a nice figure.>With that said, yes we learned a few things from FSX about>back-compat, configurability, and hw requirements.ditch back-compat, ditch configurability (except for the auto-config on install), don't care about hardware reqs as people will complain no matter what they are :)

>>Bill...I wasn't talking about mere hours...I spent 8 hours>>upon it. Straight. I had the time resource. My 'one day'>could>>be some other's week.>>Mitch, it isn't a matter of just your time. It>typically takes HOURS just to run a single defrag pass. When>there are four or more defrag passes that need to me made...>>...well, a mere eight continuous hours just ain't gonna cut>it... ;)>--------------------I agree with you on that one. I did not defrag after doing the whole 'enchilada'. I have since rebuilt my sim with SP1 running the show--have done all the degrag/clean-up passes and am happy to say that I am back to where I was pre-'Challenge'.I also bought the two-license O and O v8.5/v10 package offered to AVSIM readers, to keep O and O grooming the disk.Now, enjoying...with what a P4 3.4GHz can give me until I upgrade. I must absolutely admit though...that since I have done Nick's XPSP2 'Tune-Up', and added three add-on's...I have rarely gone back to flying FS9. EVEN...EVEN..though I get TWICE the performance from FS9. I simply can't believe that this post is coming from my finger tips!!! FSX-Plus at 20 sustainable (P4!) FPS---with auto-gen at VERY DENSE to boot, simply---looks now like the 'read deal'.... I practically live around Myrtle Beach when I can...and FSX-Plus makes it easy to believe--that I am back there, so good is the depiction of the ocean colors and the extension of the coast near about North Myrtle Beach, and northward, where it juts out further eastward. FS9 looks 'aged' now in comparison. I also am doing much more civil flying at lower rubber-neck altitudes, as there is simply VERY CONVINCING topography to view. I am having an FSX blast!Mitch