Sign in to follow this  

How to set autogen and I question about percentages

I have some trouble with autogen trees: above forests my fps drops big time. Above cities all is fine. Usually everyone has trouble with cities, but well, I have trouble with trees. Now I would like to change the autogen settings in the cfg. Defaults are:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000What I would like to get is buildings at default, with the ingame settings at Very dense, but trees at Dense or even Normal, but with (of course) the ingame settings still at Very dense. Does anyone know which figures to use to get this done? Obviously the buildings have to stay at 3000, but I wonder which figure to use for the trees to have Dense and/or Normal trees while keeping the Very dense ingame setting. If you know what I mean. Is there any math that can be applied? Will trees at 4000 give me a Dense look at Very dense setting? Or should I use 3500 to get that done?I also wonder: when I lower the number, does it only affect the MAXIMUM amount of trees? I mean, if there are only 450 trees in a certain location, will I still see 450 there when I lowered the number or will all trees be reduced by a certain percentage? So when I go from 4500 to 2250, will I only see 225 trees in that spot or still 450?

P.S. To make my tree-problem a bit more clear: I just did a test above a huge forest with autogen at Very dense (Vista 32, E6600, 8800GTX, 2 Mb Ram) and fps set to unlimited to see the difference.DX9 = 12 fpsDX10 = 42 fpsThat's almost insane...! Problem is DX10 is practically unusuable because it gives me constant random stutters/micorfreezes which really spoils it all completely... (I tried AlacrityPC to see if that made a difference, but it didn't).So changing the autogen setting may help, but of course I'd rather had this problem solved. ;)

I would think that if you set the trees to 2500 or 2000 that would get you in the ballpark. You might want to get GEX nhanced. It has better Autogen Placement than the default with killer ground textures. Do a search on GEX or check it out at Flight1.com . Having that will give you almost the same effect as editing your CFG.

Jim Wenham

You might also consider replacing your trees by GRTrees or equivalent...they take up less resources and still look great.Search for the link on this forum.

Bert

I currently fly solely above FTX Australia, so I'd rather not fool around with other trees. The FTX trees look just fine and they also are supposed to take up less resources. Not that I notice that, but well...

I love it. It's awesome. Unlike with some other addons, I didn't need to make any screenshots to see the difference and to me that says a LOT!!! If not all! And the word 'refund' didn't come to mind once...It's so realistic! The detail is amazing, everything looks good and loading of textures is great. The variety/diversity is immense. I really love those wide rolling green fields! For the first time I don't have the idea that something would look better when flying from the opposite direction... FSX default textures have too much perspective and hence 'shadows at the wrong side' in them: when I fly above default textures now it looks like a mess. But with FTX everything looks GREAT from EVERY angle. Proportions seems to be extactly right too.Autogen is placed perfectly too. And even at Very dense and trees at 2500 the world is FULL of it. Cars are everywhere too, making it all alive (although I have cars set quite low to save fps). I really love autogen, but Very dense offers more then enough to feed my appetite. The trees at 2500 seems to be the hot spot for me: fps hardly ever dives below 20. I just did a flight with autogen at Very dense from Melbourne to some military airport up north and frequently got an average of above 40, sometimes even 55. I just couldn't stop looking around and had the plane on AP all the time because I didn't want to be distracted. Detail in the distance looks great too. Just as it should, it seems. Very real. And the forests still look like forests.I switched to the default C172 (one of the best default FS-planes ever) which gives me AWESOME panoramas (specially with my TrackIR), just the right speed for sighseeing and still getting at the destination in a reasonable time. Maybe I just love the kind of landscape FTX offers, but to me this is the best texture addon so far. The colors are really spot on too (quite if not most important!). It's just like really being there. My default flight is down under now, even though I bought UTX Europe about two weeks ago and really liked VFR flying, following the roads to places I know by heart, but FTX looks too good to pass: I can't stop flying above it. It's great. It's so real!Need I say more? ;) Someone else may not agree with my very positive review, but well, you asked if I liked it and now you now.And o yes, I do fly in the winter only, because the fields are green then.Worth every cent and my credit card is ready for the next release.(And before that next release a lot of photorealistic airfield will be released too, for free!)I could go on and on but I'm off to down under once more. ;)EDIT:BTW I renamed the reflection file of the C172, so I have a clear view all around: the default reflection is way too much.And another thing I really love about FTX is the placement of trees alongside roads. Not only do they fit perfectly on the textures, but the roads are often partially covered by them, making them blend more into the landscape as they should. I have the idea this is FTX specific, because I never noticed this before (but I might be mistaken). And with trees at 2500 I am amazed at the amount of trees I see everywhere!!! I advice everyone with 'lowish' fps to lower the trees: it still looks awesome with trees at 2500!Just did another VERY short flight! Wow! Every farm looks so detailed and great when you look straight down upon it! And sharp! You can actually see what they grow! I also like the industrial autogen with the detailed roofs. And those details are very sharp too! Even low down, on final, when you pass a field, the textures look great. And varied too. Yes, I am excited. :(

Thanks for the feedback. I saw a preview at the Avsim conference and it looked very good then..Guess I'll have to spring for this one... even more looking forward to the upcoming Pacific NW release though! :-)

Bert

Hi J,one cool thing we noticed with the tree-lined roads is that, during dusk, dawn, and night, the moving car's head and tail lights briefly get blocked by the trees in a more or less regular fashion. This creates a dynamic effect of "flickering" white and red lights, which is quite unique. You should check it out.I must admit that initially the new FSX feature of moving cars didn't have much appeal to me. However, having road traffic in your direct or peripheral vision during flights and approaches does make a big difference in terms of immersion, IMO.Cheers, Holger

I agree big time with the immersion of the cars-make the world come alive!Along with the other postives listed above is that the airports actually blend in with the scenery around them and lose that artificial texture block around the runway that default fsx has. I am amazed how the airports just look more real from the air because of this.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Ha, didn't notice those carlights yet, but I will check it out!Moving cars are awesome. Because of them I even have all AI turned off now...! I only had AI on so I would 'meet' someone in FS every now and then, otherwise I had the idea I was the last man on earth... But moving cars surely beat AI planes, which you would hardly ever see anyway! Thanks to the cars the world is completely alive! And it really helps those cars are on all smaller roads too now with FTX. (Although I already had this experience of cars everywhere with UTX Europe). If I had a slow system and needed to move some sliders to the left in order to gain fps, the cars slider would be moved last. It's THAT important to me when it comes to immersion.

>>(And before that next release a lot of photorealistic airfield>will be released too, for free!)>Really looking forward to these. Apparently there are about 40 in the first free airport pack!

Matthew S

Sure would love to see this thread back to OP's question. I suffer from the same drop of FPS due to tree autogen and would be interested reading suggestions regarding this.FTX is a wonderful product, I am sure but .........vj carlo

WAT1460.png

Right. I'd also like to get a solution. ;) I have trees at 2500 now (TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500) which works well (still enough trees to be seen in FTX anyway...), but I'd rather be able to see ALL trees without trouble. I mean, there are enough people with similar systems who have no problem at all above trees.carlo, do you also have a E6600 and/or 8800GTX?

>>carlo, do you also have a E6600 and/or 8800GTX?yes and no -- I have E6600 with 8800 GTS (640mb)-- system runs great --has been tuned using Nick N's recommendations -- running 74.12 drivers. I run autogen very dense but drops big time over large forests... locked at 22FPS over cities (22) and will drop to 14-16 over large forest areas.-- only bothers me on approach to runway or during turns -- but it can be annoying. My solution up to now has been to drop autogen to sparse. I also get annoyed with all the trees popping into view constantly. I like having the heavy autogen..but I choose to trade it off to avoid my other problems noted .

WAT1460.png