Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

What are Favorite Airports

After flying to most of the major airports I'm exploring smaller ones. What is your favorite airport to fly to or from? Im looking for smaller regional or county airports that offer good FPS and interesting scenery or unusual approaches or takeoffs? A good example would be Apen/Pitkin.:-beerchug

Jim Wenham

Guest shnala

Got one word for ya... Lukla. :-sae _______________

US centric thinking again?Have you tried the major airports of Santiago de Chile, Bogota, Quito, Innsbruck, Geneva?

Guest shnala

BUMP!Guys, sorry for off-topic, but....are you two in relate somehow, cousins or something...?? 'coz at first I thought - what a h@ll, this guy ask and answer to himself !? (check your nicks!) Actually I remember something on topic. 4 new small airfields in French Alps : http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi...rtsalpesxv2.zip From here : http://www.simviation.com/fsxscenery12.htm DL it (if you didn't, it's a lot of fun)_____________________________________

Guest jshyluk

Jasper Ridge is a small private airstrip that affords a wonderful, spectacular view of Oregon, especially if you take off to the North. 360R.I also really like the adventurously named Savage Island in Vermont, which can be the hub for all kinds of adventure. VT15.My "home" airfield is Pitt Meadows CYPK, as it's the airport closest to where I live, but it's also in the heart of the Vancouver scenery. Neraby Abbotsford (CYXX) supports 737 flights, while Langley (CYNJ) supports a wide range of helicopter operations, and features an asphalt runway that will provide challenge for anyone seeking to land on the numbers.Then, there's Sangster International in gorgeous Monetego Bay (MKJS), Jamaica, a great base for James Bond-style operations. If you like beachfront airports, pick any of them on the Hawaiian islands, I think Microsoft did a good job in that region.Finally, I also love Lugano, Switzerland (LSZA), which is my all-time favourite place to stage glider flights. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

WOW have I restricted myself with FSX! All of what you guys have mentioned are GREAT! I honestly never knew they exsisted untill now. I think a new forum all about airports would be a great idea. How can we get it started? Anybody have any others? Keep them comming!:-jumpy

Jim Wenham

Guest jshyluk

This thread has really got me thinking, firing up the ol' imagination.For each review I write for AVSIM, I try to come up with a different geographical location for my screenshots. I try to find something that fits the theme of the product I am reviewing, or failing that, a theme that might have a broad appeal. For example, the Simpsons Movie came out, so I visited all sixteen Springfields that had an airport in FSX. I just finished a review of a helicopter (look out for it shortly!), and so as part of my research, I watched "Apocalypse Now" (not a movie I would reccommend to the younger AVSIM readers, as it is intense), recalling that much of the jungle in the movie was filmed in the Phillipines. As best as I could, I re-created in FSX Phillipines one of the shots from that film, albeit with zero violence, and a completely different helicopter. I don't have a favourite airport in that region yet, but it is beautiful in FSX. Sometimes, I will try to re-create flights from the movies: Casablanca to Lisbon in the DC-3 was fun, if windy. Of course, the aircraft and the scenery have changed much since Casablanca was filmed, but you get the idea.Another idea was to simulate the airplane crash at the end of the James Bond flick "Octopussy". If you recall (or if you don't know), James Bond cases a twin-engine aircraft to crash into a cliffside. At the last moment, the real airplane is replaced with a cheesy-looking model crash. The problem was that the film crew did have a real aircraft crash, but it did not go as expected. The idea was that they would launch a real aircraft over a cliff, and it would dive into the rocks and explode. The trouble began when the pilot in charge of the aircraft trimmed it carefully to account for the engine that James Bond destroys. Instead of spiralling into the cliff-side, the unmanned aircraft dove, then as it picked up speed, it stabilized and glided away. It almost sailed into a nearby town, causing the flim-makers much distress. So, I set up the flight with the FSX King Air into the Grand Canyon... I won't give away the ending, except to say that aircraft can do some mighty interesting things. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

> If you like beachfront airports, pick any of them on the>Hawaiian islands, I think Microsoft did a good job in that>region.Yeah, MS did a pretty good job in Hawaii. One time when was flying near Kona, I was amazed to discover that they had included the Hilton Waikoloa Village with 3 custom buildings! To see them, just take off from Kona Intl and fly NE 'til you see three white, wierd shaped buildings (one looms like a an "8" but with 3 segments.) Also, I'm looking forward to that review!Anyway, as to favorite airports, I have just discovered SABA and love it (yes, I just purchased Twin Otter X and can't get enough:-roll,) PADU, PAYA, and TNCM is also nice, Timberline Lodge (you can get it from Munch Bros) is a lot of fun, and Burwash, Canada is also nice.

LSZA..... cant get enough. I just finished a flight in my Brand New Mooney Carenado M20J and I just cant get enough. I flew it using real world weather and had a awsome time getting lost and eventually getting back from wenst I came. Landed safely in a moderate rain storm. That Mooney is one fun bird! I was leary about getting her since she's only been out a few days but took the 26.00 plunge. The cockpit details are amazing and very detailed. The flight aerodynamics are also superb. My only complaint is there is no rain drop effect on the windshield but with all else considered can be overlooked. It also is easy on the FPS similar to the default cesna. I have enjoyed all the location suggestions. This has been a truly rewarding thread for me. Thankyou all! If anyone has a favorite lets hear about it, dont be greedy.:-yellow1

Jim Wenham

The airport I always mention here is MHTG. Big Mountains, circling-only approach. What more could you ask for?You mention Aspen. That's a neat one too.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MHTG, SCEL, MMMX, MGGT, TJSJ (Lagoon Approach to runway 8), La Paz, Bolivia.Go have fun!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

I never knew about him until he flamed me a while ago.While that is typical for family members (who fights more dirty than siblings slugging it out?) any relationship is unknown to me.