Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Need help from real-world Mooney pilot

I'm having no luck convincing Carenado that the elevator trim indicator on their new FSX Mooney is wired backwards.Either I'm looking at this wrong (would not be the first time :-) )or this aircraft is in need of of an FAA advisory...Could someone with more flying experience take a look at these screenshots, both taken with the elevator trim all the way down.The FSX default Mooney shows the indicator at the "down" marker, the Carenado Mooney has the indicator at the "up" marker.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186230.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186231.jpg

Bert

"up" and "down" with respect to the trim indicator refers to the nose pitch attitude. If the trim is set to "Up" then the trim is all the way back and the airplane is flying at a nose high, very slow airspeed.If the trim is set to "Down" then the trim all the way forward and the airplane is flying at a nose down, very fast airspeed.In the top picture the indicator is showing that the trim is set for the nose up, or slow airspeed, position. The error here is that the labeling of the trim is wrong. By convention "Dn" should be labeled at the top of the indicator, and "Up" should be labeled at the bottom of the trim indicator. Carenado wired it correctly, they just placarded the trim indicator wrong.To summarize, if you want to fly slowly with a nose high attitude, then position the trim so that the pointer appears at the bottom of the indicator. If you want to fly fast position the trim pointer at the top of the indicator. This would be consistent with normal airplane placarding and operation. Hope this helps.

Hmmm, I think I've seen other planes with the Up label at the top.Even the default FSX Mooney has it that way :-)Regardless, you seem to support my view that there is an error... I'd be grateful for any further opinions !

Bert

The labels are correct, but it seems to me that the needle is moving in the opposite direction :) Will check for you later on this week...John

the needle is moving the wrong way , when trimming down the needle should go toward the bottom (actually checked the real thing just to be sure :)John

Thanks, John.I've asked Carenado to take one more look at this.

Bert