Sign in to follow this  
Vuong

For Nick: O&O Defrag Question

Guest Nick_N

NoneI would purchase v10 and approach it baseed on a downgrade

Guest Shep

I only recently started having the V.10 O&O Complete/Name defrag problem after a format/reinstall and an install of FEX on the same C: partition as the O/S (did have FEX on a different HDD) Vista HP 64-BIT (SP1 update via MS auto update feature) 150Gb Raptor with 27Gb free space on the 45Gb C: O/S partition, Programs on D:, FSX and scenery on E: drive, GenX on a second Raptor drive. The only way round it for me was to use the Complete/Access method rather than my normal Complete/Name defrag. No difference noticed on performance - my FSX system spec PC -E6850 @ 3.2GHz: P5N32-E SLI Plus: EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB KO ACS3:4Gb Corsair TwinX PC6400:WD Raptors:Toughpower 850W PSU:Vista HP 64-BIT:Ray

Guest Leia

Hello guys,And thank you very much for your interest and your feedback. I must admit, you gave us a rough time with all those identical emails.First and foremost: as we now know what the occasion is, we are going to stop wondering. ;-) We do not officially sell the version 8.5 anymore, but everyone has the right to downgrade his version, so all of you who bought version 10 and wrote us an email will get their 8.5 keys as soon as possible. Concerning the technical problem you described: though the defragmentation routines in version 10 did not change, we had to optimize the software according to the new Microsoft API, which doesn

Thanks, Leia. To summarize: If I purchase v10 I can drop you an e-mail requesting a downgraded key for v8.5. Would I go ahead and upgrade to v10 with that key before I received the v8.5 key or would I be able to wait for the v8.5 key. I have 21 days left on my demo mode on v8.5.And, thanks very much from all of us for your input! :-wave

I'd like to know this too. There is no problem with me buying v10, if as Leia stated, I can then just email them (her, perhaps) and request a v8.5 key so as to unlock my v8.5 evaluation copy. I have about 10 days left on my eval-key.I'll wait to hear back alongside yourself. :)Mitch R.

Guest Nick_N

Thank You LeiaIts nice to finally get some confirmation.Sorry about the repeat emails... however as far as I am aware the issue has never been addressed/confirmed in this manor and it is great to see that your development department is working on a solution for future product. The product is by far the defrag of choice for optimizing flight simulator file requests and to have the 8.5 free space function back in a future release would be a great benefit to users who wish to retain 8.5 type support.Thank you for understanding. I thought perhaps the repeat requests may be giving you guys a go over there.LOL!:)

hi Nick,Does Vista support ver 8.5?Jimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

Guys,I've tried almost every defrag program on the market at this point and I have to say I'm most impressed with a tiny freeware app called jkdefrag.http://www.kessels.com/JkDefragYou probably want the GUI version though:http://www.emro.nl/freewareRight now the only things it can't do are layout.ini and NTFS system files, but other utilities to get those are included with the GUI version.The 4.0 version he's working on now is adding a full blown ability to sort things exactly how you want (ie FS folder on the outside tracks of the drive) etc...As it is right now though it can do the sort by name type defrag just fine.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Nick_N

NoOnly versions 8.6 or v10and remember, O&O effectiveness in VISTA is limited because currently it has no access to several parts of the partition it does in XP. So although it may help, its not going to provide the same high end result in Vista it does in XP

Guest Nick_N

Does it have full access to the MFT and also name order the catalog?I would have to look into it and fully test it before I would approve it for the list I posted. I already said that O&O was the only application I was sure would provide the same results and I would not change that recommendation until I fully tested another app for the exact same result, and, that will require I sped time in testing itAnyone that would like to try it is welcome to however, I have warned that going outside that list will result in a different outcome. When you spend years with one product and get to know it, test it and rely on it.. switching is not something I would do overnight. It would take me several weeks, possibly a few months to get to the point of any recommendation.

Hi Nick,Does ver 8.6 perform like the 8.5 ?Jimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

Guest Nick_N

8.6 functions exactly the same as 8.5.

thank you very much,jimmy

Guest Leia

Hello again!Excuse me for the belated answer, please, I was ill for a couple of days. I've got some news, though. Our nice colleagues from sales thought it'd be a pity to downgrade and bundled a "two (version 10 AND version 8 licenses) for the price of one" package for you. You can purchase it here till 07/31/08: https://shop.oo-software.com/36/uurl-a3oe99wzfr. You can use version 10 on another machine or give it away for Easter. ;-) And yes - 8.5 and 8.6 have the same functionality, though 8.6 is Vista compatible and 8.5 is not. :-)Have a nice day!Leia---Note: I am employed by O&O Software GmbH, Berlin in their customer support department. We manufacture O&O Defrag, and our opinion is therefore of course biased.

Now, there's a deal. Thank you! I happen to have 2 PCs that need a good defrag program.